C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette rewire

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
dynajo04
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette rewire

Installing a new wiring harness as part of my 1960 restoration. Cannot get any interior lights including the the instrument cluster to turn on. Is there a trick I am missing. People tell me it's a grounding problem but everything checks out according to the wiring digram
Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 PM
stafftech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynajo04
Installing a new wiring harness as part of my 1960 restoration. Cannot get any interior lights including the the instrument cluster to turn on. Is there a trick I am missing. People tell me it's a grounding problem but everything checks out according to the wiring digram
Are you using Dr. Rebuilds wiring diagram? I am certainly no expert but we just went through a complete re wire and the diagrams from rebuild were invaluable.
I also have a copy of the wiring diagram from another member for a 60, send me an email if you need it and I will send it to you. dan@staff-tech.net

Last edited by stafftech; 01-03-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Make sure your wiring harness is plugged in securely to the switch. It might be easier to loosen and drop the switch, plug in the harness, and then reinstall the switch. It's tight up in there.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Is the car complete or are things missing like ,steering column, or other metal pieces that are part of the path to ground?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

It only takes two things, 12v and a ground. You are either missing the 12v going into the switch, the switch isn't working, or the ground isn't connected to the negative battery post via the ground connections at the dash. The only other possibility is a broken wire interrupting the 12v or the ground. I'd ground any of the light bases to a known chassis ground. If that didn't get light, I'd jump 12v to any of the hot wires to any bulb. The easy way is to measure for 12v at any bulb with the black wire on the meter connected to a known good ground (negative post on the battery is the most dependable). If you don't have it there with the light switch turned on, measure on the output of the switch, if you don't have it there measure on the input of the switch, if you don't have it there, go to the source (fuse). You can go either way, but if you have 12v on the connection to the bulbs and no lights, the ground you're using isn't connected to the negative post on the battery. (via the metal parts of the dash, etc)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette rewire

Quick Reply: Corvette rewire