C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Restomod....SRiii or Art Morrisson?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Default C1 Restomod....SRiii or Art Morrisson?

Hey guys looking for your opinion on the best chassis for a C1 resto mod. In my mind there is no doubt the sriii is the best chassis for the c2 Corvette.....I bought one My lack of planning on a frame on my C2 set me back many months because I had no idea about the delays in ordering a chassis. I am planning on ordering a c1 chassis in the next few weeks as this is the next project I want to build. Cost of the frame aside which frame would you purchase for your C1 project and why? thanks, Mark
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 AM
JBLT1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SRIII gets my vote.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:16 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

SRIII by a long shot. After the last dealings I had with Art Morrisson I have no use for them. Why SRIII? I have a C1 on one of Mikes frames. It all fits as it should. It is over built and super strong.Makes for a great driving car. Mike dose a great job.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM
dhutton
Instructor

Originally Posted by aworks
SRIII by a long shot. After the last dealings I had with Art Morrisson I have no use for them. Why SRIII? I have a C1 on one of Mikes frames. It all fits as it should. It is over built and super strong.Makes for a great driving car. Mike dose a great job.
Wondering what the nature of those dealings with Art Morrison were?

Thanks,
Don
Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

If you want solid axle either one can build that for you, if you want modern Corvette suspension, then SRIII is the only way you can go.

Mike is easy to work with and years later still answers my silly questions......SRIII would be the only way I would go.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 PM
jjtoma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sriii

Originally Posted by JBLT1
SRIII gets my vote.
Mike Stockdale is awesome to work with on your project.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Not on your list...

But for modern suspension Corvette Correction gets my vote (Billy Dawson)..... He never stops helping out if you're building on his chassis....

Kinda depends on your preference...SR111 is a tube frame...Corvette Correction is a dual rectangular steel frame. I prefer not to have to deal with tubes on everything...but they sure look cool.

Stan
Old 12-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by firstgear
If you want solid axle either one can build that for you, if you want modern Corvette suspension, then SRIII is the only way you can go.

Mike is easy to work with and years later still answers my silly questions......SRIII would be the only way I would go.
I agree with you about Mike. I had a chat with him today and he was very helpful. The way I understood him today he has a number of jigs to build these frames and the C1 frame can be built quicker than the C2. I think I still have two months to wait on my C2 frame. Modern Corvette suspension is definitely the way I want to go.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Not on your list...

But for modern suspension Corvette Correction gets my vote (Billy Dawson)..... He never stops helping out if you're building on his chassis....

Stan
thanks for the alternative.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 AM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

I bought three SRiii chassis so far. Mike gets my vote. Super chassis.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Another option not on your list is a Chassis Concepts frame, a rectangular frame using a modern corvette suspension. Mine is a piece of art, delivered powder coated, every weld is beautiful and my 56 body fits perfectly on it. Ray Leight is the builder and has been responsive to me along the way, picking up his cell phone any time I call. I believe he has a number of them set to go in inventory as well.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 PM
appelen
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not go with the best and give Car Creations a call
Old 12-24-2013, 07:36 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

The black Corvette that was one of the great eight cars this past year had a SRIII chassis under it....
Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have built 4 cars with SRIII frames under them, and have been very happy with all of them! Mike is a pleasure to deal with.

Billy Dawson at Corvette Correction builds a great product as well. and is a friend of mine. I was going to use his frame on my last car, but I have made the switch to C5/C6 suspensions, and Billy still only makes a C4 setup. I am building a 56 BelAir right now, and it is either going to be Mike or Billy on that one. You will not be sorry if you deal with with either of them. Both guys a great guys, have a great product and exceptional customer service skills.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Art Morrison

I haven't finished mine yet but I have bought 2 complete frames from Art Morrison.

Worked with Kevin both times - I would definitely order another from them and their support has been outstanding!

Each manufacturer has slight differences but I wanted a SOLID axle under my C1 and also didn't want the new style off set wheels that many manufacturers require with their frame / brake combos...

SO definitely give Kevin a call and then make your choice...

Good Luck - Tim
Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I have built 4 cars with SRIII frames under them, and have been very happy with all of them! Mike is a pleasure to deal with.

Billy Dawson at Corvette Correction builds a great product as well. and is a friend of mine. I was going to use his frame on my last car, but I have made the switch to C5/C6 suspensions, and Billy still only makes a C4 setup. I am building a 56 BelAir right now, and it is either going to be Mike or Billy on that one. You will not be sorry if you deal with with either of them. Both guys a great guys, have a great product and exceptional customer service skills.

Regards, John McGraw

Bought two frames from Mike @ SRIII. One of the best vendors I have EVER worked with!! Great product.

That being said, Billy Dawson also builds a great product and just an awesome guy to deal with. I would not hesitate to purchase one of his frames.

R/
Jeff
Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by toocrazy
Hey guys looking for your opinion on the best chassis for a C1 resto mod. In my mind there is no doubt the sriii is the best chassis for the c2 Corvette.....I bought one My lack of planning on a frame on my C2 set me back many months because I had no idea about the delays in ordering a chassis. I am planning on ordering a c1 chassis in the next few weeks as this is the next project I want to build. Cost of the frame aside which frame would you purchase for your C1 project and why? thanks, Mark
You need to check out out SPECVETTE Chassis. This is the only chassis that will truly give you C6/C7 performance. Art Morrison, SRIII and Corvette Corrections are great products, but deliver the level of performance that our chassis does. We don't bolt C4/5/6 suspension on a C1/2/3 chassis. Everything is built custom for the chassis to enable proper offset wheels and wider wheels and tires while giving you the correct geometry to perform like a modern Corvette. Solid axle and IRS available. Also our IRS uses a 9" center section. Check it out at www.Heartlandcustoms.us

This chassis changes what is thought to be possible in a classic Corvette!

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Restomod....SRiii or Art Morrisson?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Heartland Customs
You need to check out out SPECVETTE Chassis. This is the only chassis that will truly give you C6/C7 performance. Art Morrison, SRIII and Corvette Corrections are great products, but deliver the level of performance that our chassis does. We don't bolt C4/5/6 suspension on a C1/2/3 chassis. Everything is built custom for the chassis to enable proper offset wheels and wider wheels and tires while giving you the correct geometry to perform like a modern Corvette. Solid axle and IRS available. Also our IRS uses a 9" center section. Check it out at www.Heartlandcustoms.us

This chassis changes what is thought to be possible in a classic Corvette!
Not saying anything about your chassis, but if you think that SRIII or any of the other chassis builders just "bolt C5/C6suspensions to a Corvette chassis" than you need to get out more!

There is nothing about the SRIII chassis that is the same as the original Corvette chassis, except for the body mount locations! Mike also uses a 9" center section, or any other center section you desire on his C5/C6 suspensions. I had him make me one with a Winters quickchange center section.
I think that he would also dispute that his chassis has any different geometry than yours does. If you use C6 corvette suspension pieces, and attach them to the same dimension pick-up points, then the geometry will be identical.

In any case, he has sold a bunch of Corvette frames, and I have never heard an unkind word about him, so he must be doing something right.

Does this look like a Corvette chassis, with "suspension bolted on"?

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Not saying anything about your chassis, but if you think that SRIII or any of the other chassis builders just "bolt C5/C6suspensions to a Corvette chassis" than you need to get out more!

There is nothing about the SRIII chassis that is the same as the original Corvette chassis, except for the body mount locations! Mike also uses a 9" center section, or any other center section you desire on his C5/C6 suspensions. I had him make me one with a Winters quickchange center section.
I think that he would also dispute that his chassis has any different geometry than yours does. If you use C6 corvette suspension pieces, and attach them to the same dimension pick-up points, then the geometry will be identical.

In any case, he has sold a bunch of Corvette frames, and I have never heard an unkind word about him, so he must be doing something right.

Does this look like a Corvette chassis, with "suspension bolted on"?

Regards, John McGraw
John,
I don't believe I said an unkind word about the SRIII chassis, in fact I said it was a great product. However it does bolt on C4/5/6 suspension onto a custom tubular chassis. If you had looked at our chassis before making your comments, you would have seen that we only use the C6 ZO6 spindle and hub, everything else is engineered to give the chassis optimum performance. So as stated that he would dispute the geometry is false because we do not bolt on any modern Corvette suspension parts. I'd be glad to discuss this further with you at any time. Also notice that we the SPECVETTE Chassis has supreme performance but can also run a more appealing offer wheel.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Offset

Quick Reply: C1 Restomod....SRiii or Art Morrisson?