C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Has anyone used the Carbtune

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Dumb question but I have to ask. You aren't leaving the choke on too long are you? Just wondering if that could be fouling the plugs. I'd pull them again to see if they're sooty.

Last edited by Gary's '66; 12-22-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Dumb question but I have to ask. You aren't leaving the choke on too long are you? Just wondering if that could be fouling the plugs. I'd pull them again to see if they're sooty.
This is a reasonable question. My own '54 demands that I push the choke in immediately after it starts.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
This is a reasonable question. My own '54 demands that I push the choke in immediately after it starts.
without the choke it dies, and then when i use the gas peddle it dies for sure.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

as soon as it cools off, i'll take the plugs out and clean them off again, i'll let you know what each plug looks like. i sure appreciate all the help.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

i'm thinking that the car just sat for too long that the rings are seated anymore?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

redo, i can't type i guess today

i think the car just sat for too long and the rings haven't seated correctly, and i am and have not gotten the car up to speed, and i keep loading it up? i'm just guessing, but i think when i get the car running i'm so afraid of revving it up that i don't so i just keep it like at 1500 rpm, which i'm probably the problem.???
Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tina Marie
redo, i can't type i guess today

i think the car just sat for too long and the rings haven't seated correctly, and i am and have not gotten the car up to speed, and i keep loading it up? i'm just guessing, but i think when i get the car running i'm so afraid of revving it up that i don't so i just keep it like at 1500 rpm, which i'm probably the problem.???
If the plugs are sooty it's not the rings. They would be oil fouled. If the car was left for 8yrs. with gas left in it I would think the fuel system is varnished and would need cleaning. Just a long shot but have you checked the fuel filter?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

ok so here is my findings for the plugs.

1. sooty
2. not so bad
3. sooty
4. sooty
5. perfect
6. perfect

so Gary, if the fuel system is varnished and would need cleaning…..

how would a little bitty girl go about doing this task, is this something i can do in my garage or i have to have it towed to a mechanic.

details details please….

thank you so much!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

i just noticed the time from when i last posted to the time that i got done with taking the plugs out, cleaning them, and putting them back in, not bad for a chickie!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Nope, not bad at all. Yeah, if you're not real sure about how to do it I'd bring it in to someone. The carbs will need to be soaked and cleaned, fuel lines and gas tank cleaned. Run another post to find a mechanic in your area if you don't know someone. Did you have a chance to check the filter yet?

Last edited by Gary's '66; 12-22-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

Default These are just a view more pics

Here is a pic of me? oh well i guess i do look 51?

Here is a pic of me sitting in the vet in Arizona
Attached Images   
Old 12-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Very nice, both of you look quite well preserved.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Nope, not bad at all. Yeah, if you're not real sure about how to do it I'd bring it in to someone. The carbs will need to be soaked and cleaned, fuel lines and gas tank cleaned. Run another post to find a mechanic in your area if you don't know someone. Did you have a chance to check the filter yet?
ok will do.

fuel filter looks nice and clean. i was going to take the hose clamp off the one that is pretty close to carb 1, but ended up not doing that, i was going to take the plugs out and kick it with my attached starter button gizmo to see if gas was even coming out, but really don't think that was necessary because i can get it to run.

just this morning i got it going, for quite a while, just kept it not above 2000 rpm.

but i'm glad to hear that it isn't going to be the rings, and i hope it isn't anything to do with the engine at all, dad said that he had it rebuilt about 10 years ago.

he's going crazy that i'm having all of these problems with it and he can't be here to work on it with me.

i told him to not worry about it, i can do just about anything i set my mind to.

however i don't want to do anything with the carbs like taking them off, it really looks like that would be over my head for sure. and i do know where the gas tank is but draining it looks like a tuff one.

i did order a new tri carb linkage bracket from corvette gal it should be here next friday, my dad had the bracket between 2 and 3 break on him a while back and he welded it the best he could which it's fine not anything to do with this issue, but i am sure i can get the old one off and get the new one on after looking at it for a bit, i'll probably have an issue with the spring as it will be hard for me as i'm just not that strong in the upper body.

anyway, that's my story.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Well good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help. Lots of good people here always willing to help out, especially a pretty lady.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Tina, your '54 is gorgeous. I wish mine looked that nice (it's unrestored).

without the choke it dies, and then when i use the gas peddle it dies for sure.
This makes me think one or more carburetors have inoperative accelerator pumps.

ok so here is my findings for the plugs.

1. sooty
2. not so bad
3. sooty
4. sooty
5. perfect
6. perfect
This makes me think the front two carburetors might have needle & seats which aren't sealing well, letting too much fuel enter the bowl. Are you seeing any fuel spilling out of either or both of these?

In any event, my take is that it wouldn't hurt to rebuild the carburetors. Rebuild kits include new accelerator pumps and new needle & seats, among other things. It's not a bad job; you can do it yourself if you are just careful and well organized.

And besides, you said:

i can do just about anything i set my mind to

Jim
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tina Marie
fuel filter looks nice and clean. i was going to take the hose clamp off the one that is pretty close to carb 1, but ended up not doing that, i was going to take the plugs out and kick it with my attached starter button gizmo to see if gas was even coming out, but really don't think that was necessary because i can get it to run.
Hi Tina,
If you wanted to attempt to flush your fuel system yourself, you could:
  1. Use a siphon to suck all the old fuel you can out of the fuel tank (there may be a drain plug [there is on my 62] but a siphon would be easier)
  2. Put fresh fuel back in the tank.
  3. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and run a hose from the line to a container
  4. Remove the coil wire from the coil, set the end of the wire far away from the coil so you don't get a spark
  5. Use your starter gizmo to crank the engine, pumping fuel through the system and into the container from step 3
  6. Crank until the fuel coming out of the line appears to be clean and fresh
  7. Reconnect fuel line to carb, reconnect coil wire

At this point you have all new fuel in the fuel system, a low-grade flush has been performed, and you've confirmed fresh fuel is coming out of the system

I told him to not worry about it, i can do just about anything i set my mind to.
That surely appears to be the case!

If you do the above you'll know that you are getting clean fuel to the carbs, although with usage you may dislodge more gunk from the fuel line and thus you should check the fuel filter from time to time.

After sitting that long, I would recommend getting the carburetors rebuilt by a reputable person. If you are inclined, you could remove the carbs yourself and toy with rebuilding them yourself, choosing to give them to a rebuilder if you get uncomfortable once you are elbow-deep in the carbs.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If you feel the need to take it to a mechanic, (I didn't say technician) I hope it's one (look for wrinkles and gray hair) that actually knows old cars. Today's tech's only read and associate with digital data. Please use caution, because some people can make things worse and damage parts etc. Since you are in "Big D", some shop or person can be found. We probably have a CF member in "Big D" that knows a person or place. Good luck! Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone used the Carbtune

Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Since you are in "Big D", some shop or person can be found. We probably have a CF member in "Big D" that knows a person or place. Good luck! Dennis
But please, NOT Gas Monkey garage
Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Carburetor manuals for purchase (download)

http://carburetor-manual.com/advance...ter+YH&x=0&y=0

http://carburetor-manual.com/1953-19...nual-p-96.html
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Tina Marie
Advanced

ok you all are just fantastic!

Gary, Jim, Dennis & Jeff!

Wow, i'm getting misty on all your help! never met people that are as great as you all are!

So, what i'm going to do is take Jeff's suggestion, going to get my hands dirty on this one, but i'm really not a dumb blonde, and i think i can do it.

I'm not in a hurray at all, this was my mothers car, and even if i can't get it to run again, i will keep it forever and ever.

But however she is smiling at me on this one, she knows that i can do it.

I had a flat bottom jet boat with a 455 olds in it, i had the engine balanced and blue printed back in california, as that is were i am originally from, Northridge CA to be exact. Left after the 7 earthquake which was the Northridge quake, lost my house, lost everything.

Moved to Dallas, my parents moved to Lake Havasu City, AZ to retire.

Anyway my boat was a real piece of sh&t before i had it rebuilt, but after that i got tired of the points and condenser always going out, so i put in a Mallory electronic ignition, and wow what a difference no more timing no more fuss.

It had a Holley 750 double pumper, and i had trouble finding someone who new how to jet them, so i just got a book read a lot and this was way before the internet, anyway, did it myself, and man it was sweet. Just went up to the lake and it took me about 2 hours with a box full of jets to get the right balance, but you know i did it, no one else.

So i feel like i can tackle this at least if i get up to my elbows and can't i'm sure i can find someone on here who can help me out.

I'm really thinking that if i just took the tops off of the carbs i would see a whole bunch of gunk and find they are just sticking the float isn't working at all in the bowl, i bet. had the same problem with my Holley but took it apart and used mineral sports and cleaned it and it worked just fine after that, and never had another problem.

but i do need to get everything out of the fuel system like Jeff said, flush the system etc.

One question Jeff, instead of removing the coil wire, couldn't i just take all the plugs out instead, for some reason i feel more comfortable doing it that way instead of just pulling the coil wire?

Anyway, your all the best!

Tina Marie

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the Carbtune