C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LT1 engine in a restomod

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM
scott hovey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 engine in a restomod

Just wondering what the thoughts where of a LT1 mated to a GM 6 speed for an engine and trany combo in C1 restomod. I relies it is all a personal choose, just looking for input thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

In theory it seems like a cool thing to do BUT I would wait and let someone else blaze the trail and document any issues. I have no idea if the aftermarket is up to speed on wiring harnesses and programming.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No issues at all on wiring etc. an easy swap, as swaps go, but…. what are your goals for the car? the LT-1 isn't anywhere near the latest and greatest, and future value will reflect that. the LT-1 and 6 speed would make a really nice driver for not a lot of money however.

Russ
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Scott, Are you thinking about the 2014 LT-1?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
scott hovey
Advanced

no a 1995
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

I have an LT1 and 6spd from a 1996 Camaro in my 67 Coupe. It's a great combo and you can pick them up pretty cheap now because everyone wants the latest and greatest LS motors.
These motors run great and there are lots of mods out there for them to beef up the horse power later on if needed.
Lots of used parts available for these motors real cheap now.
I also like the fact that this combo has the slave cylinder still on the outside of the trans and easily serviceable.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Scott,

This should get you started in the right direction:
http://www.chevythunder.com/lt1_electrical_page.htm
Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Do a search on LT1 swaps and a lot of good info will come up.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM
seventyls5
Advanced

A really great engine. I had a 96 caprice patrol car with one. Still ran well at 240k and saw it on the road not too long ago so who knows how many miles now. I think you might have clearance issues with the trans in a small trans tunnel. If you already have the engine I would use it. I have another one out of a 95 patrol car to put in a 56 Chevy convertible resto mod I am building.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

A long time GM mechanic told me it was one of GM's best motors. He said they just had to design a new motor to get emissions down, thus the LS was born. The Opti spark had some issues but if you get the newer version with the vent they are much more reliable than the old points or even the HEI systems.
The only issue I had with mine is I couldn't use the stock serpentine pulley set up because of interference issues so I had to buy an aftermarket one. There aren't a lot of options and they are very expensive. I bought mine from Street & Performance.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

The LT1 is a reliable platform. Optis can be expensive, and the opti can have problems mostly if it gets wet or the drive pin is not the correct length.

For the $$$ now, I'd look into an Iron block LS motor out of a truck such a 5.3 or 6.0. The 5.3 will be on par with the power from the LT1, and if you ever want to sell you may want to swap in an aluminum block and/or bigger motor.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I have a 95 LT1 in my 66.

Pros...
--plenty of power and tons of mods if it isn't enough. You can punch it to 383, 396, or even 409 so power in an old vette will never be a problem. Hell, stock it's PLENTY of power.
--Reliable. Great engine and not so complex that your mind is baffled
--Parts are available everywhere
--likely the best pro... It's a Gen II small block which shares the same footprint as the Gen 1. So no cutting, fitment issues, etc. The factory engine mounts etc. all bolt right up.
--They run great, and if kept factory nice and smooth. Fuel efficient, easy to tune.
--You can bolt, without cutting, a Kiesler tranny so you can go back to stock down the road if you want
--If you don't want to blow the dough on the tranny up front... bolt up your stock 4 speed.
--The price currently is freakin' amazing. I have seen a few for under 1000 bucks including ECM, accessories, etc.
--It gets rid of that old car smell.

Cons...
--A bit older in technology
--Older means you won't get the newest transmission as well
--less 'bling' under the hood

I'm very happy with mine.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 PM
dhutton
Instructor

What about the tachometer? Are you stuck with replacing it?

Don
Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by dhutton

Don
3 options assuming a stock interior look...

1) you can get a box that converts the signal to mechanical. can't remember the name off hand but I read about them... good reviews, reliable, etc.

2) gut the stock tach, replace with a 1975 tach internals (there is a range of tachs that work out of corvettes with the proper sweep but memory says 75 is the best year to get for one reason or another)

3) don't do anything... this is where I am at now. And it really doesn't matter. I know what the car is doing and have never had a problem sans tach. Also... I have a bluetooth laptop program so I can literally datalog, see what is going on in real time, etc. through a laptop if I need to.

In short... My car has been LT1 powered for 10+ years without the tach. It's a nice to have item that I'll get to. I have scoured ebay for a while and just got one of these for 60 bucks, have not done the swap yet...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

It's easy enough in a C-1 to install an electronic (aftermarket) tach in the stock housing.

Last edited by MrPbody; 12-19-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM
scott hovey
Advanced

thanks guys great info here
Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dhutton

Don
My son bought me the new analog Dakota Digital dash for my birthday. What a nice set up. Comes with all the hardware to hook up all the gauges. New senders and wiring. It's a bit pricey but overall it comes out to about the same as buying all new electronic gauges. They have them for the C1's also.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 engine in a restomod

Old 12-20-2013, 12:40 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I have a 95 LT1 in my 66.

Pros...
--plenty of power and tons of mods if it isn't enough. You can punch it to 383, 396, or even 409 so power in an old vette will never be a problem. Hell, stock it's PLENTY of power.
--Reliable. Great engine and not so complex that your mind is baffled
--Parts are available everywhere
--likely the best pro... It's a Gen II small block which shares the same footprint as the Gen 1. So no cutting, fitment issues, etc. The factory engine mounts etc. all bolt right up.
--They run great, and if kept factory nice and smooth. Fuel efficient, easy to tune.
--You can bolt, without cutting, a Kiesler tranny so you can go back to stock down the road if you want
--If you don't want to blow the dough on the tranny up front... bolt up your stock 4 speed.
--The price currently is freakin' amazing. I have seen a few for under 1000 bucks including ECM, accessories, etc.
--It gets rid of that old car smell.

Cons...
--A bit older in technology
--Older means you won't get the newest transmission as well
--less 'bling' under the hood

I'm very happy with mine.
I bought a set of those same aluminum valve covers off Craigslist but I have a 67 with power brakes and the drivers side hits the booster because they are taller than the stock covers.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:49 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 373 Likes on 320 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
3 options assuming a stock interior look...

1) you can get a box that converts the signal to mechanical. can't remember the name off hand but I read about them... good reviews, reliable, etc.

2) gut the stock tach, replace with a 1975 tach internals (there is a range of tachs that work out of corvettes with the proper sweep but memory says 75 is the best year to get for one reason or another)

3) don't do anything... this is where I am at now. And it really doesn't matter. I know what the car is doing and have never had a problem sans tach. Also... I have a bluetooth laptop program so I can literally datalog, see what is going on in real time, etc. through a laptop if I need to.

In short... My car has been LT1 powered for 10+ years without the tach. It's a nice to have item that I'll get to. I have scoured ebay for a while and just got one of these for 60 bucks, have not done the swap yet...
LT1 intakes have been machined to accept a Gen 1 distributer. I am not sure if a tach drive distributer would fit, most use the small cap external coil HEI. However, it may look a little odd having a distributer without any wires running to it.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...gen-1-sbc.html
Old 12-20-2013, 02:54 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 93Polo
LT1 intakes have been machined to accept a Gen 1 distributer. I am not sure if a tach drive distributer would fit, most use the small cap external coil HEI. However, it may look a little odd having a distributer without any wires running to it.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...gen-1-sbc.html
Seems like a lot more work than just installing a new electronic Tach. Not to mention that they are a lot more reliable and more accurate

Quick Reply: LT1 engine in a restomod