C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

vacuum lines on a 64 365/air coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Dad's 59
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default vacuum lines on a 64 365/air coupe

Can any body tell me where the vacuum line that is tee'd off the intake: vacuum port Goes? one goes in the air box and switch and one comes out and goes to the hot water shut off valve inline the heater hose
Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Is this what you need?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Dad's 59
Racer

Default Vacuum

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Is this what you need?

That is perfect ;so the line in question went to the STV which is problematic I understand, every thing was restored but the STV wasn't working so they put an updated one in. which probably does not need that vacuum line it was just laying there so I was not getting enough vauum to open the heater valve does that sound about right I am not familiar with STV what exactly is it?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Dad's 59
Racer

Default Vacuum

Originally Posted by Dad's 59
That is perfect ;so the line in question went to the STV which is problematic I understand, every thing was restored but the STV wasn't working so they put an updated one in. which probably does not need that vacuum line it was just laying there so I was not getting enough vauum to open the heater valve does that sound about right I am not familiar with STV what exactly is it?
so that updated valve does not require a vacuum line is that correct? So if I block that line it should create enough vacuum to open hot water valve right?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dad's 59
so that updated valve does not require a vacuum line is that correct? So if I block that line it should create enough vacuum to open hot water valve right?
That sounds right. My 65 no longer has an STV, a previous owner replaced it with a POA. Because of this, I don't have the "T" at all, I have a single hose from the intake to the valve on the heater box, and a single hose from that valve to the water valve.

I'm not fully up to speed on the functionality of the STV but from what I recall from the shop manual it allows the A/C system to adjust for different altitudes. Since I live at sea level, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Dad's 59
Racer

Default Vacuum

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
That sounds right. My 65 no longer has an STV, a previous owner replaced it with a POA. Because of this, I don't have the "T" at all, I have a single hose from the intake to the valve on the heater box, and a single hose from that valve to the water valve.

I'm not fully up to speed on the functionality of the STV but from what I recall from the shop manual it allows the A/C system to adjust for different altitudes. Since I live at sea level, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.
PERFECT! Thank you for your time Jeff. Merry Christmas!!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Okay all you heater vacuum line experts here is a pic of my wiper wiring harness firewall grommet you mention as the place to fish the vacuum hoses that are missing from my 64 365hp AC car and I do not see the room for the 2(one big and one small) hoses to go through it. Any insight? Do I have the wrong grommet? The wiring harnesses on the car have been changed so something might have gotten misplaced? Now there are some extra looking holes to the right of the wiper motor indention??

Oh, no comments please on the poor state of paint. The short list is to get everything working and enjoy the car for a year or so.....then decide if I'm going full-tilt?

Thanks!

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Steve:

You just need to open up your 4th hole in the grommet for the larger vacuum line.

As I recall, the smaller line shares the grommet hole with the oil pressure tube...

Can't check my AIM C60 section at the moment, so going by memory.

As far as the extra holes, the ballast resistor screw and a firewall insulation plug account for a couple at least.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Thanks Mike. My AIM and 64 supplement do not show the area the hoses go into the cab as anything like this. Just a 2 hole grommet?

Need to do some research on the firewall holes. My car is a TI car so am missing some parts there for sure. It has the module on the radiator support?

Steve
Old 04-25-2014, 05:07 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Thanks Mike. My AIM and 64 supplement do not show the area the hoses go into the cab as anything like this. Just a 2 hole grommet?
The vacuum hose routings, clipping, and which items go through which holes in the firewall grommet are shown in your Assembly Manual in section C60, sheet E5.00, View "C", and on sheet E6.00. None of this is shown in the '63 Shop Manual or '64 Supplement - you need the '64 Assembly Manual.

Get notified of new replies

To vacuum lines on a 64 365/air coupe

Quick Reply: vacuum lines on a 64 365/air coupe