C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Wiper Shaft Seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM
GeorgeB64
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C2 Wiper Shaft Seal

Hi all. After getting caught in a rain storm, I ended up with a good news bad news story. Given it was first time out in the rain since the body off, good news was nothing leaked ( well, only a drop or too). Bad news was I never noticed the passenger wiper arm was not the one on top; and the arm appears to have gotten the little spring tab jammed into the seal, the male rotator quickly machined the serrations on the arm female interior and the wiper took off far to the right over the trim and jammed on the fender top; slapping it a few times before I could shut it off.

The arms had the screw for adjustment but I do not think they were originals, but new repro. Getting my arm removal tool (good money spent) got both off and it looks like both arms were pretty well machined and both seals torn up at the top. OK so I call Paragon and bent over for a pair of new adjustable OE type arms & seals.

The seals on my car were flush up against the arms and both were torn up. Are the slide on shaft seals supposed to go down to the top of the shaft leaving enough gap where the shaft first narrows for the arm to fit onto the male rotator? Wasn't clear in the AIM (to me), most nothing in the shop manual. A pic of a proper install of the seal would be helpful; as well as any tips appreciated.

So soon as the armored car from Paragon delivers the new arms, I can reinstall and try my hand at the adjusting screw thingy with the passenger arm on top. I understand the screw changes the angle of the arm and has nothing to do with the sweep. SO, is it correct to say the sharper angle on the pass side with the blade tip at the centermost of the w/s being higher is the best start point to ensure they dont 'hit'?

Assuming I dont dick this all up and it goes well, the only thing left then is to repair a 4" pretty deep scratch in the top of the fender…grrrr!

Any insights appreciated. Thanks much,

George
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeB64

The seals on my car were flush up against the arms and both were torn up. Are the slide on shaft seals supposed to go down to the top of the shaft leaving enough gap where the shaft first narrows for the arm to fit onto the male rotator?

SO, is it correct to say the sharper angle on the pass side with the blade tip at the centermost of the w/s being higher is the best start point to ensure they dont 'hit'?

George
The top end of the plastic seal will just barely be visible with the arms installed - soak them in hot water for a few minutes before you install them so they're nice and pliable, and seat them all the way down on the wiper transmission. The tops, obviously, must be below the splined spindle.

Run the wiper motor for a cycle and turn it off so it self-parks. Then install the wiper arms on the splined shafts (using the tool), driver's side first, so it ends up aboiut 1/2" - 5/8" above the bright lower reveal molding and parallel to it. The installation on the splines sets the height of the arm, and the adjusting screw sets the angle of the blade relative to the arm. Then install the passenger side arm so it ends up about 3/4" - 1" above the driver's side arm, with the blade parallel to the lower reveal molding.

Then wet the windshield and run the wipers to verify operating clearance and correct parking.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
GeorgeB64
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

John, thanks very much for the reply. I always appreciate how you help us lesser experienced guys on the finer points.

George
Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Pics when I replaced shaft seals. I used John's trick of heating the seals in hot-hot water to get them over the shafts. I positioned them as you can see with the lip just under the serrated shaft end. I laid in a bead of black 3M strip caulk(dum-dum) before I installed them to keep water from getting into the bases and in the cabin.

The last pic is the "before" original seal.

Rich
Attached Images      

Last edited by rich5962; 12-10-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 PM
GeorgeB64
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Rich, appreciate the pics. very helpful. George
Old 12-10-2013, 11:03 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Hi all. After getting caught in a rain storm, I ended up with a good news bad news story. Given it was first time out in the rain since the body off, good news was nothing leaked ( well, only a drop or too). Bad news was I never noticed the passenger wiper arm was not the one on top; and the arm appears to have gotten the little spring tab jammed into the seal, the male rotator quickly machined the serrations on the arm female interior and the wiper took off far to the right over the trim and jammed on the fender top; slapping it a few times before I could shut it off.

The arms had the screw for adjustment but I do not think they were originals, but new repro. Getting my arm removal tool (good money spent) got both off and it looks like both arms were pretty well machined and both seals torn up at the top. OK so I call Paragon and bent over for a pair of new adjustable OE type arms & seals.

The seals on my car were flush up against the arms and both were torn up. Are the slide on shaft seals supposed to go down to the top of the shaft leaving enough gap where the shaft first narrows for the arm to fit onto the male rotator? Wasn't clear in the AIM (to me), most nothing in the shop manual. A pic of a proper install of the seal would be helpful; as well as any tips appreciated.

So soon as the armored car from Paragon delivers the new arms, I can reinstall and try my hand at the adjusting screw thingy with the passenger arm on top. I understand the screw changes the angle of the arm and has nothing to do with the sweep. SO, is it correct to say the sharper angle on the pass side with the blade tip at the centermost of the w/s being higher is the best start point to ensure they dont 'hit'?

Assuming I dont dick this all up and it goes well, the only thing left then is to repair a 4" pretty deep scratch in the top of the fender…grrrr!

George
I don't see what car you are working on or I just missed it, but guessing 64 from your name? Those wiper tranny shafts came sans condoms until 1966. Just black paint to be correct. Not saying they are not neat on a pre-66, just not original that way.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:55 AM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad news was I never noticed the passenger wiper arm was not the one on top; and the arm appears to have gotten the little spring tab jammed into the seal, the male rotator quickly machined the serrations on the arm female interior and the wiper took off far to the right over the trim and jammed on the fender top; slapping it a few times before I could shut it off.
I just checked mine and they were upside down as well, easy to overlook, or not even think about (in my case)
Sorry you found out the hard way, but you've probably saved others (like me) from making the same mistake.
Lucky it hardly ever rains here.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:00 AM
GeorgeB64
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

65hihp, Thanks for the observation. Interesting point about seals are not even supposed to be there pre-66, so I assume that is one of the fine point NCRS things…and why I couldn't seem to find anything about the seals in the 64 books.

Since my car is not a candidate for NCRS judging & I already ordered the seals, I reckon I might as well install them.

Yeah, its a 64. I forget sometimes its always a good idea to state the year when soliciting input.

Appreciate it,
George

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Wiper Shaft Seal

Quick Reply: C2 Wiper Shaft Seal