C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Lack of Younger Folks Enjoying the Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Our local classic car and hot rod club was going great back in the 2000 to 2007 or so time frame. I was probably the youngest steadfast member (and I'm now 63). The last few years though, our attrition from the older members dying off has out-paced the new membership. And many of our members still fogging a mirror have a lot of health problems or can't be on the road at night. A few others left due to having to raise grandkids, business stresses, member fussing, or moving away.

We occassionally attract a few younger members to joint. But they are typically into a new Mustang, Camaro or Corvette and they get bored with the older stuff and leave after awhile. Hell, I can barely find anyone my age who is into older cars and fixing them up - much less anyone younger.
I'm 63 too and its a little sad. When I was with the Solid Axle Corvette Club a few years back the meetings were like trying to keep oldsters awake in a nursing home as they listened to recordings by the Andrew Sisters and Bing Crosby. They do liven up when they get behind the wheel though.

The only thing I take from this thread is that there were many lucky younger folks, much more affluent than me in my youth, who could buy Corvettes. They were an exotic, distant dream for me when paying the grocery bill was the top priority.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm 63 too and its a little sad. When I was with the Solid Axle Corvette Club a few years back the meetings were like trying to keep oldsters awake in a nursing home as they listened to recordings by the Andrew Sisters and Bing Crosby. They do liven up when they get behind the wheel though.

The only thing I take from this thread is that there were many lucky younger folks, much more affluent than me in my youth, who could buy Corvettes. They were an exotic, distant dream for me when paying the grocery bill was the top priority.
Back in the 1970s, the typical Corvette driver/owner was in his 20s and thirties. You didn't see old guys buying or driving them.

Now, all you (mostly) see in new Corvettes is old guys. Probably why sales are at lows not seen since the early days of the Corvette. I am sure some of this has to do with the cost of the car relatively speaking. A new C-car costs from $55K on up. Inflation adjusted, a '67 Corvette would cost perhaps $30-35K today, new, a significantly lesser amount.

Younger kids aren't interested, as every single car they grew up with, needed to be taken to a mechanic to be fixed, and generally weren't legal to modify anyway without violating some smog law, thus they never saw their dad working on the family car, and I can't recall how long it has been since there seemd to be a house on every block that had car stuff going on there all the time. No exposure, no desire.

And why bother, you can race any car you want and cause all the meyhem possible on a computer.

Doug
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,350 Likes on 2,781 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Back in the 1970s, the typical Corvette driver/owner was in his 20s and thirties. You didn't see old guys buying or driving them.

Now, all you (mostly) see in new Corvettes is old guys. Probably why sales are at lows not seen since the early days of the Corvette. I am sure some of this has to do with the cost of the car relatively speaking. A new C-car costs from $55K on up. Inflation adjusted, a '67 Corvette would cost perhaps $30-35K today, new, a significantly lesser amount.

Younger kids aren't interested, as every single car they grew up with, needed to be taken to a mechanic to be fixed, and generally weren't legal to modify anyway without violating some smog law, thus they never saw their dad working on the family car, and I can't recall how long it has been since there seemd to be a house on every block that had car stuff going on there all the time. No exposure, no desire.

And why bother, you can race any car you want and cause all the meyhem possible on a computer.

Doug
Its really hard to separate all the variables at work. I can't imagine how to compare buying a "new" Corvette back in the day, as compared to today. I didn't know anyone who was able to buy new. All of my friends in New England in the 70s were buying Corvettes or muscle cars that they could afford. I bought a scruffy black 396 roadster in 1977 for $2500 because it was the cheapest Corvette listed in the WantAdvertiser. I later sold it and added $1000 so I could get one of those new-fangled shark looking "late models" (as we called them).

That's how I remember buying Corvettes as a kid. Scrape up what you can. Work on it with your buddies. Scrounge for parts. Get excited over car movies like Corvette Summer and American Graffiti.

So you compare this to today.. the movies are Fast and Furious 17 (I guess) with import fart cans with sticker graphics and ghetto wheels. Cars myself and my friends wouldnt be caught dead in. An occasional 70's muscle car thrown in for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not seeing the Mitsubishi Turbo owner say, "hey, think Ill buy a Charger with a blower."

Another thing... when we were kids, there wasnt much more competition for our disposable dollar. I remember spending every extra dime I had on a set of new Cragar SS wheels... and didnt really think about anything else. Nowadays kids HAVE to own a $300 iphone... an ipad... expensive sunglasses and clothes, etc, etc. I dont see the economy as much as a problem as the culture, the things that kids find important.

It seems we grew into the muscle car culture organically, not just by one ride in a Corvette. I see the kids now immersed in their own culture, and I dont see them ever looking our way. Its like expecting my generation to suddenly come around to appreciating the Model T.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Its really hard to separate all the variables at work. I can't imagine how to compare buying a "new" Corvette back in the day, as compared to today. I didn't know anyone who was able to buy new. All of my friends in New England in the 70s were buying Corvettes or muscle cars that they could afford. I bought a scruffy black 396 roadster in 1977 for $2500 because it was the cheapest Corvette listed in the WantAdvertiser. I later sold it and added $1000 so I could get one of those new-fangled shark looking "late models" (as we called them).

That's how I remember buying Corvettes as a kid. Scrape up what you can. Work on it with your buddies. Scrounge for parts. Get excited over car movies like Corvette Summer and American Graffiti.

So you compare this to today.. the movies are Fast and Furious 17 (I guess) with import fart cans with sticker graphics and ghetto wheels. Cars myself and my friends wouldnt be caught dead in. An occasional 70's muscle car thrown in for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not seeing the Mitsubishi Turbo owner say, "hey, think Ill buy a Charger with a blower."

Another thing... when we were kids, there wasnt much more competition for our disposable dollar. I remember spending every extra dime I had on a set of new Cragar SS wheels... and didnt really think about anything else. Nowadays kids HAVE to own a $300 iphone... an ipad... expensive sunglasses and clothes, etc, etc. I dont see the economy as much as a problem as the culture, the things that kids find important.

It seems we grew into the muscle car culture organically, not just by one ride in a Corvette. I see the kids now immersed in their own culture, and I dont see them ever looking our way. Its like expecting my generation to suddenly come around to appreciating the Model T.
Some really good points here. When I was growing up in the 80s, there were NO muscle cars being made. Mustangs had 4-cylinders, Corvettes were notoriously unreliable, and pretty much anything with a Chrysler badge was basically disposable. So I grew up looking at older cars, or European sports cars...they were the only ones making anything interesting, aside from the Supra and a growing aftermarket for smaller Hondas (which didn't interest me, really). Cue the 90s, and not much has changed. Most American cars are junk, ugly, and slow; Japanese cars are smaller and lighter, get better fuel economy, and even though they're also ugly they tend to be faster. And handle better. And stop quicker. It wasn't until the mid 2000s that domestic cars were generally decent, with reasonable reliability and performance. And of course as I type this, GM is getting hammered for reenacting the Pinto fiasco, with 13+ people dead because of bean counters and faulty ignition switches.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Godholio
Some really good points here. When I was growing up in the 80s, there were NO muscle cars being made. Mustangs had 4-cylinders, Corvettes were notoriously unreliable, and pretty much anything with a Chrysler badge was basically disposable. So I grew up looking at older cars, or European sports cars...they were the only ones making anything interesting, aside from the Supra and a growing aftermarket for smaller Hondas (which didn't interest me, really). Cue the 90s, and not much has changed. Most American cars are junk, ugly, and slow; Japanese cars are smaller and lighter, get better fuel economy, and even though they're also ugly they tend to be faster. And handle better. And stop quicker. It wasn't until the mid 2000s that domestic cars were generally decent, with reasonable reliability and performance. And of course as I type this, GM is getting hammered for reenacting the Pinto fiasco, with 13+ people dead because of bean counters and faulty ignition switches.
The 80's were a very bad decade for GM vehicles. They thought because they were #1, they could just put out anything regardless of testing it, and people would just continue to buy it. The buying public became the testers and when things went wrong, which happened a lot, toyota took over with cars that were more reliable and cheaper. So any kid that got their licence in the mid eighties usually had a bad experience with GM cars, including the Corvette. I don't want to insult anyone but the 1984 C4 Corvette was one of the worst cars Chevy ever put out and most of the 80's Corvettes weren't much better.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmruschell
I'm 27, and have a 61 Corvette, a 79 Corvette as a DD, a 1972 Buick GS 455 clone as my backup DD, two DeLoreans, and am in the process of purchasing a 1956 Oldsmobile Super 88.
You should get rid of those weird stainless steel cars and buy a real DeLorean. A GTO!!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,350 Likes on 2,781 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_fetish
You should get rid of those weird stainless steel cars and buy a real DeLorean. A GTO!!
DeLorean got an awful lot of credit after ripping off the gull wing idea from the Bricklin.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Xlnt !! Been waiting for someone to re-animate this thread. There must be more of these critical ideas out there, aren't there?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM
teneck83
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Black60
You folks have any young folks in your clubs or know of any young Corvette owners? Recently, at any Corvette gathering I attend I look at the age of the owners and I don't see any youngsters. For that matter I don't see many Hot Rodders under 50 either. Can't see how that bodes well for our hobby.

Similar to the people who used to fawn over and bid up the Stutz Bearcats and brass cars at auction. They are dying off. Hemi Cudas and big block '67 convertibles are selling for more than the aforementioned traditional mega money cars.

Fast forward 20 years from now when I have assumed room temperature, what will be the hot auction car? An old Subaru drifter?

Frequently, today's kids prefer the fantasy of their electronic games versus climbing under an old car and losing some skin.

Or maybe it's the price of entry. Kids today can barely find work let alone put together enough disposable income to buy and wrench on a fun car.

I'm 62 and my daughters are 22 and 24. They ask me why, when they see a cool car, is the driver usually a geezer? I tell them after raising the kids, putting them through college and marrying them off we old folks have finally been financially able to realize the dreams of our youth.

I always get a chuckle out of seeing a mid sixties dude and his wife in a T-bucket. Vertical steering column and all.

Just my random thoughts sitting here in the Northeast at 9 degrees.

Black60
Great thread. I'm 31 and own two top flighted vettes. 66 L72 & 66 L79. Yes, I grew up in the garage with my dad who had multiple C2's. Couldn't imagine wasting my money in a C7 that will be worth 20k in 7 years.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

One problem is many of the youth have never seen an older Corvette, much less ridden in one. I am responsible for the next couple years of taking care of the last couple cars in my late father's estate, among which include a 65 FI Coupe and a 66 427/425 roadster. After I drove them for the first time in years, I realized I had forgotten what special vehicles they are. My goal is take my kids, nieces and nephews, and neighbor kids for a thrill ride they will never forget in each of these wonderful cars. Please do the same with your cars- you never know who you may get hooked on an older Vette down the road.

Marc in Indy
57 Corvette 245 HP 4 spd with FI added in the early 60s

Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

i have owned the following corvettes all new. 59,62,63 SWC,64,65 396 st louis factory delivery,66 427,97,99,02,05 and 08. my next will be a C-7 and no i don't wish i had the old ones back. in the time frame between 66 and 96 we raised kids and i drove new Z/28s and 454 450HP chevelles,BBC pickups because we needed more seats. cars to me are a plaything not a investment. for investments i call my broker.

Last edited by PAmotorman; 08-07-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 PM
teneck83
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
i have owned the following corvettes all new. 59,62,63 SWC,64,65 396 st louis factory delivery,66 427,97,99,02,05 and 08. my next will be a C-7 and no i don't wish i had the old ones back. in the time frame between 66 and 96 we raised kids and i drove new Z/28s and 454 450HP chevelles,BBC pickups because we needed more seats. cars to me are a plaything not a investment. for investments i call my broker.
I'm proud of you PAmotorman. I like to diversify my funds in cars, real estate, & stocks. But hey, if you need a broker... To each his own.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Kids are still hot rodding they are just doing it with cars they can afford (or steal). Its import stuff not American Iron. They laugh at our old cars really.

back in the 70s/80s the Vettes/musclecars were the hot looking "fast" cars out so they were popular. Today they are WAY overvalued and one can pretty much go to a dealership and walk out with something that will outperform these old things outhandle with creature comforts get good mpg and if they are good with a computer can tap into power quickly.

Things have changed.

I see somewhere not too far off lots of these old cars value will drop in the toilet as the generations that grew up on them are slowly getting older and dying off. Shoulda sold mine last yr to get top buck but Im in it for fun not money.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I would think post-'73 C3s and C4's would be affordable used cars for many young people, but insurance for under-25s may be the problem.

And gas prices are pushing me from a Suburban toward a four-cylinder Ford Transit Connect van to get better mileage and security for business use. I'm waiting to see the coming Chevy City van FWD competitor, but so far I'm not impressed with what I've seen on this new GM model.

Last edited by sub006; 08-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Even with the stops, stalls and low speed, that beautiful SWC sounded SWEET!!!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

DZAUTO is right about the younger crowd into Corvettes in the 60's and early 70's. Take a look at some of the pictures in old NCCC Blue Bars,.....and the antics at the conventions, like "sticker-parties".

Getting a Corvette then was a large part of the American dream, but it wasn't to impress anyone, (well maybe the girls) it was for the pure joy of using the Corvette as it was intended. They were usually our only car and still were driven like they were stolen, in all kinds of weather.

No one ever worried about them as investments, maybe that's one of the reasons for not enjoying them now. I don't believe that mine will ever be worth less than I paid.

And as far as the next generations being into Corvettes, I'm doing my part.... I brought both of these boys home from the hospital in this car.

Last edited by Ol Blue; 08-11-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: picture moved
Old 08-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

Another generation, Daughter and son "Keeping "save the wave".

Get notified of new replies

To The Lack of Younger Folks Enjoying the Sport

Old 08-08-2014, 04:02 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ol Blue
Doug is right about the younger crowd into Corvettes in the 60's and early 70's. Take a look at some of the pictures in old NCCC Blue Bars,.....and the antics at the conventions, like "sticker-parties".

Getting a Corvette then was a large part of the American dream, but it wasn't to impress anyone, (well maybe the girls) it was for the pure joy of using the Corvette as it was intended. They were usually our only car and still were driven like they were stolen, in all kinds of weather.

No one ever worried about them as investments, maybe that's one of the reasons for not enjoying them now. I don't believe that mine will ever be worth less than I paid.

And as far as the next generations being into Corvettes, I'm doing my part.... I brought both of these boys home from the hospital in this car.

CLICK on the picture. Ohhhh Yeahhhh

we also brought our new born son home from the hospitial in his mothers arms riding in a new 66 427 corvette. he is the reason we switched to Z/28s as we needed more seats.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Both my kids enjoy time in the garage with me working on the car. Hopefully they'll keep up the love of it as they get older. It's also one of the few ways they get to know about their grandfather (my Dad).
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Here are some prime examples in my area of why there are no "younger folks" in the C2 world.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4600840846.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4589346987.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4589180788.html

Now, I am in no way going to complain on here that I don't make enough money, or that my life is unfair. I feel very fortunate to have the life that I do, but I cannot justify purchasing something like those that would be in my "toy" price range and have really nothing to show for it other than some parts and pieces in the garage.

As others have mentioned, cost of living, student loans, mortgages, and family take up the majority of the household income.

Could I find a higher paying job that would allow me to get the '63 SWC (in silver of course) of my dreams, probably, but I wouldn't be doing something that I enjoy as much as I do now.

For those of you that do own the C1's and C2's, get them out there for the public and youth to see. They can't have a passion for something that they don't know exists.

Quick Reply: The Lack of Younger Folks Enjoying the Sport