C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Overhaulin

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM
EddieG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhaulin

Question for you guys. On the show Overhaulin, does the overhauled vehicle owner have to pay for anything? Just a discusion here at work.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 PM
beer truck
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do not have to pay for any of the work done on the vehicle, but they are responsible for the taxes associated with it I believe. Nothing is ever free when it comes to the tax man
Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

I would love to see those cars a few years after they are done. I can't see how they can do all the paint and body work in that short of a time and still have all the chemicals and fillers be fully cured.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
I would love to see those cars a few years after they are done. I can't see how they can do all the paint and body work in that short of a time and still have all the chemicals and fillers be fully cured.
100% correct. It can't. All primers and fillers will sink over time but what you see on TV just can't be done without major problems.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I saw the 56 Chevy sedan they turned into a convertible a few years ago. Your exact point, was well-proven by the paint on the trunk lid of that car.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone here ever do any film or TV work? There is absolutely no way those cars are done in the time frame specified. Not a chance. I have done 30 second spots that took a full day to shoot. Even with more time, I wouldn't want one of them.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure about what you are responsible for in this case but I was told that if you win a car on a game show or a raffle that when you sell the car you have to pay Capital Gains Tax.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:02 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lacy
Not sure about what you are responsible for in this case but I was told that if you win a car on a game show or a raffle that when you sell the car you have to pay Capital Gains Tax.
When you take delivery of the item you win, you have to claim the fair market value of the item as income on your state and federal income tax. If it's a car, you will probably have to pay sales tax as well when you license it in your state.
I got audited by the IRS because of a similar circumstance and after a long battle, they accepted my initial return as filed.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

See post #41 - a local good friend was actually an Overhaulin' victim and I quoted his response:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...e-and-irs.html
Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 AM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant speak to federal taxes, but somebody owes sales tax on the value of the tangible personal property. my guess is the manufacturer of the parts used donated them to the project for promotional purposes. the same with the value of the labor supplied. YOU can call it anything you want, but the State of Washington will say tax is due."the buyer shall pay and the seller shall collect and the state will, at its option proceed against either. the long arm of the law reaches out and touches the closest person. the state has been around a long time and they are pretty good at getting what THEY think is due.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Lipstick on a Pig.

Get notified of new replies

To Overhaulin

Quick Reply: Overhaulin