C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Most affordable Mid-Year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
No, your comments, and the others, are in alignment with my vision.

Again, I can afford a museum '63 SWC or a '67 427, and know nothing about it and pay someone else to work on it for me as if I didn't know a combination wrench from a quadrajet, and drive it only on sunny days to a car show to frown at others because I lack self-esteem.

But that's not what I'm looking for, I want a simple toy to wrench on, like back when life was simpler.
That joy of wrenching was one of the reasons I bought my 64 as well as it was the one I could afford. The ability to return to "working" or wrenching on a car brought back a lost joy. Yes, I am going through issues now with heads. I could drive the 64 to a garage and say here...fix this and call me when it's ready. The checkbook is not my best tool in the box.

Using this forum and good information from well intended members have helped elevate my level of knowledge and skills that I hope to pass along to someone someday even though I'm getting long in the tooth.

I had a 2007 ZO6, my dream car with it's mystic 427 badging on the hood. I washed it and polished it and then washed it and then polished it and drove it and with it's extended warranty through GM.........what did I need a tool for?

My fear and love of C2s were both founded on things people had said. Warnings of impending stress cracks in the fiberglass and OMG...look out for axle issues and blahblah blah..........but then I spoke to C2 members and honestly, I found a class of owners I better identified with. OLD SKOOLers........................or OLD FOOLers.
The looks of the car sold itself. It took courage on my part to spend the money to get my C2 and I'm on a very tight budget.
I sometimes feel like the pair of brown shoes in a world of tuxedos.
But I love my C2, I love my 64 and wish I could own a second one.
I hate the days I can't drive the 64. I love pulling plugs and opening the gap from 35 to 38 after a Pertronix install and guess what...........I did it all with the help of this forum, and yes prayers helped too to minimize the cussing.

My agitation to those who feel they need to run someone else's car down to make them feel better really hurts the hobby. We all share one thing in common. A love of these cars in this model. So what if yours is a small block, or a powerglide, or a restomod. Good grief, the hobby is meant to bring us together for a common cause. Not tear us apart because the need to feel superior by making another one feel inferior.

I'm sorry for the rant but I pulled my comments because I was accused of hijacking a thread on another post and all I did was post an example and it was taken out of context. So, I try to keep my opinions to myself, but my old gal 64 cried out from the garage and asked me to come to her defense.

Ya' know............in 1964 you would have done many things to own my car. I'm proud to own it today. I hope you find one to be proud of as well...............and SHARE the joy. There's enough bad things in this world. We don't need 64 bashing in here. Now I'm going out to reassure my 64 there are those out here proud to own a 64.

I rest my case your honor.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
truth hurts some people maybe you should make it political correct so you don't up set anyone.

while what you said is true and every auction and sell list over the last 30 years reflect it.

there is nothing wrong a 64. this conversation comes up every couple of months the same things are said. there is no sense beating a dead horse
So I see. A poor choice of words on my part - no offense intended.

I would rather have a Top Flight Fuelie 64 than an undocumented NOM 67 BB that's in great condition.

I did not mean to infer that 64's could not be enticing or valuable. I simply meant that the OP had described a ... ah, screw it - nuff said.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:37 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

FWIW, I can afford all but the top 1% of mid-years but I have different work for my money. While I could go $100K+ cash, that is not what I'm looking for.
For around $50,000, and with the aid of a knowledgeable C2 Forum member, you could get a VERY NICE 90% correct '64 coupe in good shape. It should run and drive fine as is, but need tune-ups and other light maintenance soon enough, that's how they were designed 50 years ago!

Your hobby car would be cheaper than a new Corvette, and it will appreciate in value rather than depreciate. A safe place to park your money while you have fun. What's not to like?

Last edited by sub006; 11-24-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Welcome! Agree, 64 coupe will typically be the best bang for the buck if you are looking to get into the C2 side of the hobby in a cost-effective way.
Are you suggesting that despite their relative rarity, coupes are now cheaper than convertibles?

-third owner of a '64 convertible since 1966 (California black plates!)
Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
Are you suggesting that despite their relative rarity, coupes are now cheaper than convertibles?

Outside of the SWC, coupes have been cheaper than comparable convertibles for decades now.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:41 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know how current C-2 prices are going to " appreciate " more. One buys a new C-7 for sixty grand and drives it. Sure it is going to depreciate because its not sitting in a heated garage collecting dust. It is being used up. Buy a sixty grand C-2 and you have a classic boat anchor. No one wants it to see the light of day because it may tarnish the exterior and heaven forbid get a paint chip. It becomes a " CD " that takes space in the garage.
As far as preference it is just that. The same car built in multiple years. Ego is the largest difference between them. Condition, rusty, crashed, complete, project, restored, and options are the equalizer for a prospective buyer. Then there is the coupe vs roadster saga. Until 63 one never had a choice. If your happy roof less the choice is easy.
I would never call a 64 less of a car in this series. All years improved in quality and are basically the same package. Some have preferred ribbons and bows.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:46 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
Well said, I pulled my comment since I didn't want to interfere with the OPs thread, he did ask for opinions and ideas and I thought that is what I posted but some sensitive people may have misinterpreted what I wrote......
Jesus what a bunch of sensitive 64 owners taking an honest and factually accurate response to the OP's question as an insult. GTF over it, you own a car that, for whatever reason, is undervalued in the marketplace. No one said the market's under valuation of 64s is deserved; it's just a fact, and in fact just the opposite is implied.

The 64 is the red-headed stepchild of the C2s and thus represents the best value. If you think I am "part of the problem plaguing the Corvette hobby for saying that, please post away so we can identify all of the overly sensitive 64 owners and send you off to a special forum where everyone gets a trophy fir having the best car. .
Old 11-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
....you own a car that, for whatever reason, is undervalued in the marketplace. No one said the market's under valuation of 64s is deserved; it's just a fact, and in fact just the opposite is implied.

The 64 is the red-headed stepchild of the C2s and thus represents the best value. If you think I am "part of the problem plaguing the Corvette hobby for saying that, please post away so we can identify all of the overly sensitive 64 owners and send you off to a special forum where everyone gets a trophy fir having the best car. .
Having fun with my affordable '64!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

64s are ugly and slower than other C2s!

Last edited by VeroWing; 11-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:42 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by VeroWing
64s are ugly and slower than other C2s!

[IMG][/IMG]
THIS one made me smile
Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006

I'm observing that convertibles typically are more sought-after than coupes in corvette and many many other marques, making the coupe traditionally less expensive than a convertible.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
Jesus what a bunch of.........
..................GTF over it..............please post away so we can identify
Really? .. A little harsh, don't you think?. Looks like that cuts both ways.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anyone think the 76 will go up in value as years go buy.....or should I give it away now?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:24 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm observing that convertibles typically are more sought-after than coupes in corvette and many many other marques, making the coupe traditionally less expensive than a convertible.
Coupes are appealing in my eyes....but they are sure hot inside during the summer!

Then again "If the top goes back, the price goes up"
Old 11-24-2013, 09:48 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Really? .. A little harsh, don't you think?. Looks like that cuts both ways.
1. OP asks which C2 is the best value.
2. Forum members post honest and factual responses, identifying the 64 as the best value.
3. Other forum members who own 64s get their feelings hurt by the truth, take one of those posters to task and imply an apology is in order.
4. I suggest that those whose feelings got hurt might want to grow a set.
5. Other overly-sensitive forum members accuse me of being . . . Overly sensitive?

I own a 65 - should I demand that the forum members never mention the fact that similar 67s fetch more money in the marketplace, or criticize someone who posts such factual information?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

...... I can afford all but the top 1% of mid-years ...
.... but am too frugal (cheap) ......
Being frugal and being smart are two different things. For a few $k more you will increase your car pool and you might get the year with the options you want.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:50 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The article in Corvette Magazine I referenced earlier backs that up. They say the best Corvette value on a performance per dollar basis is the 1964 coupe.

-- Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Most affordable Mid-Year?

Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteed
THIS one made me smile
Beautiful car!
I met a fellow recently with a 64 Z06 tanker. I think I would be tempted to give up both the 63 and 65 for that car.

Regarding Zoomin's comment: you are correct, IMO.

Last edited by 65 fi; 11-24-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you really want a two speed auto ?

The four speed I think would be a lot more FUN to drive.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Golly, after reading this thread what would y'all have thought of my "mongrel" 65 roadster? It was a big block conversion with all the stuff from a 66, including the frame and an 80s vintage Eckler's one piece hand laid front clip. Motor was a 454 pickup block with a 427 truck crank and stock L-72 cam, headers, Thrush turbo mufflers, oval port heads and one of those old Torker manifolds with the carb turned 30 degrees. Back in the day it was one of the fastest things on the street. I loved that car and would gladly have it back. Used it as my daily driver for years.

I have a museum piece now and I hate it!

OP, enjoy the NOM 64 and build it the way you want it. I think they have the best looking gauges of all the C2s

Quick Reply: Most affordable Mid-Year?