C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Obsession with numbers matching.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 AM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Everyone should at least appreciate a real numbers matching car. Its a piece of history and nostalgia from a time long gone.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will never understand Corvette owners obsessed with numbers. Matching numbers, casting numbers, etc. Had my 66 been a numbers matching car I likely would not have purchased it. I want the option to be able to go out in my garage and decide that I want new wheels, or a different intake manifold, or any other mod, and not be so afraid that the originality would be compromised and the value diminished by thousands of dollars. What a confined space to live in, but I suppose some people like not having a choice.

And on that oh-so-original 67 with 3k miles on it, with all the bits so lovingly laid out and displayed, and all the casting numbers documented with such detail, not a single mention of the Offenhauser valve covers. I see that car and feel sad. Sad that for the last 46 years it has had to sit still, when it should have been out on the road and been driven.

Long live modified cars!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I don't think the numbers matching guys are advocating euthanizing modified Corvettes.........
Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
So, do the guys with numbers matching obsessions avoid women with 'aftermarket' bra fillers ?

Do the non-numbers matching guys insist on them ??

this could get good
Hmm, never thought about that. What about a correlation beteen au natural vs landing strip and matching vs non-matching?

Doug
Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 526 Likes on 316 Posts

I don't get it on restored cars. I have the numbers matching engine for my car and it only matters to me because I know it adds value for some strange reason.

However, my car is not original and anyone that has restored a car knows darn sure it isn't original. I'd rather see an actual original car with all of its flaws than a perfect restoration. None of these cars left the factory perfect and these 'restored to original' cars are well over done and certainly not representative of what the factory offered.

I'd also rather see a non original car that actually gets driven than a 'restored to original' one that no one sees.

In my opinion 'numbers matching' started out adding value because if you could find a car that had all the numbers matching it meant the car wasn't abused. This is a good thing when buying a classic car. However, now that people have faked the numbers matching thing it just doesn't make a lot of sense anymore. I'm 99% sure my numbers matching engine is original and I know it lived in my car until about 10 years ago. That does add value to me because I know I have a car that has been loved for its whole life. And that's about it. I don't even know if I can place a dollar amount on that personally.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by amtronic1
Three groups of people I will never understand-
1. Twilighters
2. Furries
3. Corvette owners obsessed with numbers.

So why does it matter if the numbers match? Are the tires the original ones from the 60's? If they've been replaced then it's not original. Did you replace the oil filter when you changed oil? Then it's not original. Battery replaced? Not original.
The Corvette is a car. Drive it, enjoy it, use it up. Replace parts on a whim.

BTW both my Corvettes are non matching and I couldn't care less. If I had a numbers matching midyear, I would sell it in a heartbeat to some OCD for an artificially elevated price.

Numbers matching only means that some gouges in a piece of metal look similar to some embossings made in another piece of metal popriveted on. That is worth thousands of dollars??

Now I await a rebuttal from a furry Twilighter with their numbers matching mid-year.

Why would an honest atheist care if others followed a religion?

Why would the antagonist try to tempt, destroy, or turn a hero from his journey (monomyth)?

Why would people who drive Fords hate Chevy's?

It all comes down to competing idolatries. If you say you don't care, but protest too much, instead of asking others with a rhetorical, why not ask yourself the question which you avoid.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:40 AM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
I don't think the numbers matching guys are advocating euthanizing modified Corvettes.........
True. We just want to preserve and appreciate the heritage of the Corvette, which in reality brings us all together in this Big Happy Corvette Family.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My car has it's "born with" engine. I wasn't necessarily looking for that when I was looking for a car but that's what I ended up with. Since that is what I have and since I, presumably, paid more to have that, I pay more attention to the tachometer and back off the gas sooner than I would if it were a replacement engine. Doesn't really reduce my enjoyment of the car but it would for some folks.

-- Steve
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

In my opinion there are only a select few cars that are worth the numbers matching marque. That is the rare unmolested car that has almost all of it's original components. These are the most valuable cars. I appreciate them but I don't want them because I want to drive my corvette and I just can't afford to own one of these time capsules.
There are a lot of people who try to make their cars something they are not; ORIGINAL. As we all know, a car is only original once.
Some restorers try to make the car as original looking as possible to sell for the highest price. I understand why they do it but I don't respect them for it. I think this is what the OP is talking about.
So, to most of us we just want to enjoy our car and have fun with it. We all appreciate the rare original car. But, in my opinion a driver is what most of us want.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:03 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Before this thread gets to long in the tooth, regarding the OP comment “Obsession with numbers matching” I would hope someone offers a legitimate definition for numbers matching?

Can you “obsess” over something with no legitimate definition - by that I mean a definition that is agreed upon by any two groups of automotive enthusiasts?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by rsinor
.........regarding the OP comment “Obsession with numbers matching” I would hope someone offers a legitimate definition for numbers matching?
The term "numbers matching" has been so abused and misused, that it no longer has any valid merit in 2013.

Just my OPINION.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:32 PM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amtronic1
I will never understand Corvette owners obsessed with numbers. Matching numbers, casting numbers, etc. Had my 66 been a numbers matching car I likely would not have purchased it. I want the option to be able to go out in my garage and decide that I want new wheels, or a different intake manifold, or any other mod, and not be so afraid that the originality would be compromised and the value diminished by thousands of dollars. What a confined space to live in, but I suppose some people like not having a choice.

And on that oh-so-original 67 with 3k miles on it, with all the bits so lovingly laid out and displayed, and all the casting numbers documented with such detail, not a single mention of the Offenhauser valve covers. I see that car and feel sad. Sad that for the last 46 years it has had to sit still, when it should have been out on the road and been driven.

Long live modified cars!

You can have the both. Get a number matching (original motor/parts) car and save the original parts when/if you put in new ones.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:49 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
The term "numbers matching" has been so abused and misused, that it no longer has any valid merit in 2013.

Just my OPINION.
I tend to agree with you, Rich.

And here's something to think about. My car has matching numbers for engine, transmission, and differential. However, the coding on the differential indicates it has 3:70 gears but I believe the gearing is really 3:55. So I have a differential case that matches but the stuff inside isn't original. To me, this is not a "real" numbers matching car because it doesn't have all of the original drivetrain. And that's what I will tell buyers if I ever sell the car. Anything else is deceptive in my mind.

-- Steve
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis

Just my OPINION.
I totally agree ,I always get a chuckle when I here 'It's ALL original except for ' fill in the blanks. A restored car is not original . How many threads have we all seen on 'how do I re stamp a block'. My advice to folks that want to get in to the corvette hobby and are worried about originality is buy a new one, then you know for sure that it is .

Last edited by blue63cpe; 11-18-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,629 Likes on 668 Posts

I saw a ad in Chaigs list for a 392 chrysler engine with the torqueflight still attached. It was advertized as... you guessed it, numbers matching!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus337
Everyone should at least appreciate a real numbers matching car. Its a piece of history and nostalgia from a time long gone.
OK?.....but how about at least appreciating the engineering that went into my Vetterod to hide all the wiring and computer inside the fender wells to make the engine compartment sanitary, or the engineering to install air bags so I could get the stance I wanted for the car.......
Not sure the everyone statement is gonna work for either of us
Build, buy, drive or show your car the way you want and enjoy it....as far as an in investment is concerned I pay someone else to worry about that so I can DRIVE the car I want.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
First off, the OP seems to not understand that "matching numbers" does not always guarantee originality. I agree, its up to the owners to have whatever kind of car they want. Lets just enjoy our cars. I am going into the garage now to kiss my "original matching numbers" 63.
Boyan
You might be kissing a re stamp !

Get notified of new replies

To Obsession with numbers matching.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

No, he isn't. It's the real deal, no issues and no excuses.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 PM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Low Rider
OK?.....but how about at least appreciating the engineering that went into my Vetterod to hide all the wiring and computer inside the fender wells to make the engine compartment sanitary, or the engineering to install air bags so I could get the stance I wanted for the car....... Not sure the everyone statement is gonna work for either of us Build, buy, drive or show your car the way you want and enjoy it....as far as an in investment is concerned I pay someone else to worry about that so I can DRIVE the car I want.
I totally respect restomods! When I get my numbers matching 66 paid off my next purchase is a restomod I'm gonna drive.
I respect numbers matching cars, survivors, and restomods. I basically just love classic vettes.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

The OP may not have been aware that choosing this topic is about the easiest way to start a tribal fight

There is no less logic in the desire for Matching Numbers than in the desire for a C2 or any other car. It all happens between our ears anyway. I am not a Matching Numbers type, but those who are have every right to be and fully enjoy it

Quick Reply: Obsession with numbers matching.