C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pro-Tour 63 Split Window Coupe Project........."PUNISHER"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Pro-Tour 63 Split Window Coupe Project........."PUNISHER"

I am excited to announce the beginning of my 63 Corvette Resto Mod project. I thought it should have a name so I decided to call it "The Punisher". I have a feeling the only thing that will get punished is my wallet!!:yes nod: Since I picked up this car I have been itching to get it going.

I have come full circle on Corvettes as it has been quite some time since I have owned one. I had my first new vette in 1976 and for the next 10 years owned quite a few. I really never liked to own anything I couldn't modify so the newer Corvettes never interested me. The resto mod muscle car builds have always attracted me because they are the personal expression of its owner just like building a hot rod. I particularly like the big brakes, big engines, and big tires and wheels making these older classics modern.

About a year ago a buddy of mine asked me to restore his 66 Corvette. It seemed to energize me again with the thought of owning a Corvette. I was doing research on building his car and became acquainted with this forum. I knew I would only be interested in either a C1 or a C2. I finally decided if I was going to pull the trigger I would want to do a 63 split window couple. Within a few short months I finally set my sights on a particular 63 on eBay.

It was pretty exciting to purchase the car. The vehicle had sat around for 35 years as a project and had been completely stripped of paint. It was built in October of 62 so it was a pretty early car with power steering, power drum brakes, power windows, and power glide. It was white with the saddle tan interior.

Plans for the car have been on a wide scale. I have gone from one extreme to the other on the car and still not settled on much. I do have a SRiii chassis ordered. It will definitely be LS powered. I have looked from LS9 to Katech to other LS engine manufactures. It will be 6 speed, have the biggest brakes I can possibly squeeze on, widened front and rear fenders, custom interior, and a detailed under carriage.

I am really excited to get this project going. I realize it will most likely take 1 year to finish. After doing a thread on this forum for my last build I felt I was not officially started on this one until I started my thread so I guess I am now officially started!!

Last edited by Marks Hotrod Garage; 12-12-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Project! What are your plans for the car? With the LT1 crate engine a year away be careful on engine selection.

Last edited by uxojerry; 11-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Few $$$$$ setting on that table...whats your plans for that stuff...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by uxojerry
Nice Project! What are your plans for the car?
I am doing the Z06 suspension on the SRiii. Either 14" wilwood brakes or 15" Baer if available, 19" wheels front, 20's rear and the absolute widest tire I can put on. HP in the 600 plus range, and some very clever body work. I am always in the pursuit of modifications and some wild accents but keeping it as clean as possible...........understanding the overstatement

Originally Posted by 66jack
Few $$$$$ setting on that table...whats your plans for that stuff...:toe tap:
Right now I am just disassembling the car. I will most likely eBay the parts to the highest bidder but putting the parts on with reasonable prices with no reserve. I have had some guys ask me about buying the parts but I am not ready yet. Do you think I should sell the frame rolling or part it out?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I'm on for the ride. Looking forward to this one.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Take a look at the crate engines from Texas Speed or Golen Engines. My thoughts would be to stick with an NA motor for simplicity and consider an LS7 based engine. Since the new Z28 is using the LS7, it should be around for awhile. There is speculation that it will be the last of GMs big cube NA motors and get replaced by a supercharged of turbo LT variant. It could end up being an iconic power plant. Just trying to be helpful, and good luck with your project!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I remember that car. You bought it within the last couple of months, correct?

Looks like you've got some nice parts to slap on ebay or the forums...every penny helps. After i sold all of the parts from my 66 last year, i only had around 3 grand in the body and other parts i needed. I got lucky though and had good timing selling the parts. Actually, I still have parts to sell from that car.

Looking forward to following your build! What's first? Are you going to do the bodywork yourself?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

BTW, next time you talk to Mike tell him he owes me a commission for steering customers his way.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by Zoomin
I'm on for the ride. Looking forward to this one.

thank you.....

Take a look at the crate engines from Texas Speed or Golen Engines. My thoughts would be to stick with an NA motor for simplicity and consider an LS7 based engine. Since the new Z28 is using the LS7, it should be around for awhile. There is speculation that it will be the last of GMs big cube NA motors and get replaced by a supercharged of turbo LT variant. It could end up being an iconic power plant. Just trying to be helpful, and good luck with your project!
Thank you for your view on the engine. This is the area of the build I have not zero'd in on. I did check out Texas Speed and they offered the Precision MetalCraft sheet metal intakes. I don't know much about them but they look pretty cool. What is your take on them.... Looking for any suggestions on the motor.

Originally Posted by 65silververt
I remember that car. You bought it within the last couple of months, correct?

Looks like you've got some nice parts to slap on ebay or the forums...every penny helps.

Looking forward to following your build! What's first? Are you going to do the bodywork yourself?
Yes I did just buy it. You probably saw it on eBay. It really caught my eye and I decided it was the one to get. I really didn't realize how many nice parts I was going to have until I got the car. I am taking them off right now and we will get them sold one of these days.

I wished I would have ordered my frame long before now but I didn't realize I would find a car so quick. I am really itching to start on the body but without the frame I am not sure how deep we can really get. I am looking to widen the rear fenders about 2 inches and the front 1 to 1 1/2 and I think I should have the body on the frame for this so I can measure for the tires and wheels. I want to get the body on a dolly and at least get working on the firewall and the underbody. I really like the rolling dolly you purchased and will probably get it ordered next week. I am really looking to get a motor and transmission purchased pretty soon as well. I have been watching your build and it has helped me put together a list of things I need to be looking out for.

Oh, yes on the bodywork. I happen to have a few guys working for me who work magic with glass so we will do everything from modifications to the paintwork. The car will be modified and built in my garage. We will do the paint work at a friend of mine's paint booth. I rent it from him all the time. I pretty much do everything right here.

I am sure many people have found interesting paperwork in old cars they have purchased. Check out this Bill of Sale we found in the glove compartment of this car. I bet someone is kicking themselves in the butt right about now

Last edited by Marks Hotrod Garage; 12-12-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

BTW, next time you talk to Mike tell him he owes me a commission for steering customers his way.
Ok I will tell him. you did help lead me his way!!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

haha! Im sure a 1971 Vega holds the same value as the 1963 Corvette still?

I almost bid on the car and if I had know it came with so many nice parts, i would have.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Name:  Sema Engine.jpg
Views: 5571
Size:  184.0 KB
C1 Engine at Sema 2013

Name:  C2 Corvette.jpg
Views: 6563
Size:  80.2 KB
My Car in progress

I personally like the Texas Speed engines with the Sheet Metal intake. Golen Engines will build an engine with a Holley Hi Ram and is also a good choice.

I included the Sema engine photo because it is not an LS engine but an SBC. I am building my C2 with a 650hp+ fuel injected SBC and am planning a C3 with a 850hp+ fuel injected BBC.

My thoughts are 5-10 years from now when I may sell one of them. It will be better to have an SBC/BBC than a dated modern engine. An example is a restomod with a Gen 3 LT engine. They dont generally sell for top dollar.

I think the Gen 4 LS7 may become an icon but it is speculation. Another option is an LSX/RHS 454 based engine or even the Golen Engine RHS 502. An RHS 502 with 800hp or an LSX 454 with 700hp NA should not become dated for quite awhile.

I personally like NA over forced induction because they are simpler in design and easier to maintain. Check out the C5 and C6 forced induction sections and read the threads of guys having problems. Belt slip, boost leaks, high IATs are common problems.

If you do go with forced induction take a look at Golen's Whipple LSX options. Chad Golen has provided me a wealth of information even though I have not purchased one of his engines. Turn Key Engine Supply has a very affordable twin turbo crate motor with a 2yr warranty for $19k and 680hp.

In any case good luck with your build and have lots of fun!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The LS engine is a great choice. Spend some time on the C6Z06 forum and check out the value guide and exhaust value issues. Personally, I would not consider a stock LS7. I have a 07 Z06 with 25000 miles and I have already had my heads rebuilt with bronze guides and solid S/S exhaust values. All my exhaust value guides and 4 intakes were more than double the the factory service limit. The LT1 engine has the same guides and exhaust valves as the LS7 . In my opinion the LS3 is a great place to start and they have a great track record. BTW, my car was never tracked or driven that hard. Once my 5 year warranty ran out, I did the head work to prevent a $17,000 hit for a new LS7 ( thats the cost for a dealer installed LS7). Do your homework on these engines.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Agree with Mark C. When I mention LS7 it would not be a GMPP motor. Texas Speed, Golen, or MAST LS7s will not have the valve guide issues of a GMPP crate.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

I dont know, i think an LS engine with stack injection will still be cool 10 years from now. The intake on the LS engines is the only thing that makes them look dated or cheap, in my opinion. It's all in how you dress her up!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I want my Vega Hatchback returned....I have traders remorse....I saw several go on Barret Jackson at a very nice premium!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

I personally like the Texas Speed engines with the Sheet Metal intake. Golen Engines will build an engine with a Holley Hi Ram and is also a good choice.

My thoughts are 5-10 years from now when I may sell one of them. It will be better to have an SBC/BBC than a dated modern engine. An example is a restomod with a Gen 3 LT engine. They dont generally sell for top dollar.

Turn Key Engine Supply has a very affordable twin turbo crate motor with a 2yr warranty for $19k and 680hp.

In any case good luck with your build and have lots of fun!
Your car is beautiful! Are you building your own flairs or buying? I like a little dish on the wheels as you are doing. I guess I need to hire you to pick out my motor as you have definitely done your research. I am leaning more toward the LS with the sheet metal intake. I spoke with Kinsler today but I am not willing to spend the $12K for their cross ram injection. Here is the last engine I put together with Kinsler fuel injection. With all of the polishing it cost me a bundle. Never do it again but got caught up in the build

I have really gotten into building cars for myself. I love the building but once done I normally sell them.

Get notified of new replies

To Pro-Tour 63 Split Window Coupe Project........."PUNISHER"

Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by MarkC
The LS engine is a great choice. Spend some time on the C6Z06 forum and check out the value guide and exhaust value issues. Personally, I would not consider a stock LS7.
Thank you very much for the info. I like all the information you guys are giving me.......why should I do research when I can just listen to smart guys like you giving me the good advice!!

Agree with Mark C. When I mention LS7 it would not be a GMPP motor. Texas Speed, Golen, or MAST LS7s will not have the valve guide issues of a GMPP crate.
thanks!!

Originally Posted by firstgear
I want my Vega Hatchback returned....I have traders remorse....I saw several go on Barret Jackson at a very nice premium!
I will see what I can do about that my friend. Unfortunately it is probably in the junk yard by now.

I dont know, i think an LS engine with stack injection will still be cool 10 years from now. The intake on the LS engines is the only thing that makes them look dated or cheap, in my opinion. It's all in how you dress her up!
I agree with you on that one. The stack injection is beautiful.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought a set of flares from Sermersheim and they will go on soon. Southern Performance Engines has a nice LS3 8 stack crate motor.

My C2 has an SBC 427 with 8 stack efi and the C3 is getting a one off BBC 532 with Brodix SR20 heads and a FAST 2.0 efi. The 532 is big bore shorter stroke motor.

Im kind of like you. The Texas Speed LS7 or LSX 454 with the sheet metal intake looks awfully nice and is priced well.

I will eventually do an LS motor for a future El Camino. I am leaning towards the LSX 454R with a FAST 2.0. The 454R is 13:1 compression so it will require a methanol/water injection kit to be pump gas friendly. 13:1 is good for E85 and the FAST 2.0 is E85 capable. I will be able to run either type of fuel.

If you want to do something a little different the 454R is worth considering. I have only seen one street car with this engine and that was a vintage Camaro Pro Street build. @770hp it's at the limit of a T56 Magnum.

Good luck with your build. Your Kinsler motor looks great!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark great to see your project started. I'm along for the ride, we should be done about the same time. I ordered my frame a few weeks back and they are setting it up for c5 front and rear with the viper diff. and was wondering what you were going with?

Quick Reply: Pro-Tour 63 Split Window Coupe Project........."PUNISHER"