C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pro-Tour 63 Split Window Coupe Project........."PUNISHER"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Man, I completely missed the fact you bought a freaking warehouse. That would be so sweet to have that much room to fill with stuff! You sir, are living up to your name.

Can't wait to see what's in store.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Looks awesome so far! I want those hips for the 63 I bought recently!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Man, I completely missed the fact you bought a freaking warehouse. That would be so sweet to have that much room to fill with stuff! You sir, are living up to your name.

Can't wait to see what's in store.
I don't know if you ever have enough room! I have been working on the new shop 7 days a week for the last 2 months. We started working on some other projects for friends and then other people wanted work done so......check out www.godspeedrides.com. My car hobby has gotten a little more serious.

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Looks awesome so far! I want those hips for the 63 I bought recently!
I know you where looking for some. I will give you the first shot at them. I will get some pictures taken this week.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

I finally feel like some progress is getting ready to happen. I got a call from Mike at SRIII last week and my frame is in production. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Today my rear quarters arrived and I was so excited I used some "fabrication tape" to stick one on to see how it looked. I guess I am still a kid at heart and couldnt wait to see it on the car. I am ready to cut my teeth on this build and get it rolling. I have picked out everything on the car except for the motor and transmission. LS3 or LS7? 5 speed or 6 speed? decisions decisions. I am really waffling on engine drivetrain.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you back on your project. I did the same thing when my GTS quarters came in. I can't wait to see the body mods you are going to use. I am still trying to decide whether or not to cut out the side vents and build spears. The ones on prodigy look the way I would like to do them if I get the nuts to cut my new fenders. To me very few look like they are done right. I think it would help drop the under hood temp.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by HAVNFUN64
Glad to see you back on your project. I did the same thing when my GTS quarters came in. I can't wait to see the body mods you are going to use. I am still trying to decide whether or not to cut out the side vents and build spears. The ones on prodigy look the way I would like to do them if I get the nuts to cut my new fenders. To me very few look like they are done right. I think it would help drop the under hood temp.
Opening up the side vents also helps to prevent front end lift at high speeds. The 63-64's were notorious for front end lift at speeds over 100 mph. Opening up the side vents relieved some of the air build up in the front end.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by HAVNFUN64
Feels good to be moving a little on it. We were working on the front end today getting it back in shape. I agree the ones on prodigy look nice. You do great work and I know your quality and workmanship just watching your build. The "done right" part is the tough part......making that first cut and hoping when you get finished your modification doesnt look like it belongs on a Ford Pinto Wagon with woodgrain on the side

Originally Posted by biggd
Opening up the side vents also helps to prevent front end lift at high speeds. The 63-64's were notorious for front end lift at speeds over 100 mph. Opening up the side vents relieved some of the air build up in the front end.
Isnt there a 55 mph speed limit? I mean who drives their Corvette 100 mph
Old 05-17-2014, 12:34 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Greetings, upgrading a chassis for a c 1. With all the different vendors today would you use a SRiii again.
How long was yourwait timefor your chassis.
Thank

I
Old 05-17-2014, 05:44 AM
srohde
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 63 corvette

my I am steve from cape coral fl looking for some parts. I am restoring 63 coup, I am going to saraota today sat 5/17 please call me 239 333 8364. Also know some one local doing a resto mod on 63 here that might help you thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Greetings, upgrading a chassis for a c 1. With all the different vendors today would you use a SRiii again.
How long was yourwait timefor your chassis.
Thank

I
SRiii has a great reputation and builds a real nice frame. Great customer support as well. I think the wait time for a C2 chassis is 4 months. You can get a C1 chassis built quicker because there is more demand for the C2 chassis than the C1.

Originally Posted by srohde
my I am steve from cape coral fl looking for some parts. I am restoring 63 coup, I am going to saraota today sat 5/17 please call me 239 333 8364. Also know some one local doing a resto mod on 63 here that might help you thanks
Sorry I just saw your message. I would have been glad to have shown you around our facility. I have quite a few 63 parts but have not taken the time to get them ready for sale. You can PM me with what you are looking for if you want.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

I was able to pick up some original fiberglass for the nose of the 63. It is nice to see it coming back together. As bad as I want those rear quarters on we are waiting for the rear "tub kit" from SRiii to arrive before we get started.

I am looking for a drivers door or a door skin for this 63. If any of you guys have any leads please let me know.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:59 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Is that a 1" flare on the quarters? It looks like more in the photo.

Last edited by 65 fi; 05-18-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Is that a 1" flare on the quarters? It looks like more in the photo.
I first want to say these are "refined" GTS quarters build by an individual who loves and builds Corvettes. I was told they were approximately 2 inches wider but I dont see 2. I do believe them to be around 1.5 inches wider but I am no expert. I did lay the factory quarter on the ground next to the wider 1/4 to get a perspective of the width but I can guarantee the accuracy of this test. Sorry a littel blurry but I took this picture today with my cell phone.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Originally Posted by toocrazy
I first want to say these are "refined" GTS quarters build by an individual who loves and builds Corvettes. I was told they were approximately 2 inches wider but I dont see 2. I do believe them to be around 1.5 inches wider but I am no expert. I did lay the factory quarter on the ground next to the wider 1/4 to get a perspective of the width but I can guarantee the accuracy of this test. Sorry a littel blurry but I took this picture today with my cell phone.

They do look wider than the GTS Flares. I can't wait to see how they look on the car. Are you leaving the front fenders stock? What wheel size and backset do you think you will be working with?
I have an order in place with Mike and plan to flare the rear but would like to use dished wheels with the C7 brakes and suspension. The GTS flares look really clean but I am concerned about allowing enough room in the front to steer while having a lowered stance and not having to tub the rear (or at least minimalize it). With the wider tracking of the C7, it seems defeating to use the more up-to-date C7 suspension if it is going to be narrowed much.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

They do look wider than the GTS Flares. I can't wait to see how they look on the car. Are you leaving the front fenders stock? What wheel size and backset do you think you will be working with?
I have an order in place with Mike and plan to flare the rear but would like to use dished wheels with the C7 brakes and suspension. The GTS flares look really clean but I am concerned about allowing enough room in the front to steer while having a lowered stance and not having to tub the rear (or at least minimalize it). With the wider tracking of the C7, it seems defeating to use the more up-to-date C7 suspension if it is going to be narrowed much.
I have not made a final decision on the front whether we will leave the stock fenders or widen them. Front flared fenders for c2's seem to be few and far between. I know Ecklers sells a 1" wider front fender for C2's but I dont have any experience with using them.

As far as offset I too will be looking for a little "dish" in the rear. Once I get the frame I will be sure to let you know what I come up with in terms of measurements. Once the fenders are bonded on I like to take accurate measurements. I dont really count on too much of "dish" in the front because I like to tuck the front wheels in just a bit so I can set the car lower to the ground.

I too have a C7 setup on order. The frame I will be recieving in a few weeks was distened to be C7 but because this frame is not in production (to my knowledge) at SRiii I decided to make my first frame a C6 suspension. I have all of the C7 suspension already and it will go on my #2 frame order. I jumped the gun a little bit wanting the C7 setup without realizing the issue with the wider stance. I talked with Mike about it last week and after it is all said and done I dont think there will be a tremendous amount of extra width to deal with once he has it engineered.

Here is a C2 I finished about 3 months ago. I like them sitting a little low as I think they look alot better. The front wheels only have 1" of lip on them but I think they look fantastic setting inside the fenderwell.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:10 AM
65 fi
Drifting

I have not made a final decision on the front whether we will leave the stock fenders or widen them. Front flared fenders for c2's seem to be few and far between. I know Ecklers sells a 1" wider front fender for C2's but I dont have any experience with using them.

As far as offset I too will be looking for a little "dish" in the rear. Once I get the frame I will be sure to let you know what I come up with in terms of measurements. Once the fenders are bonded on I like to take accurate measurements. I dont really count on too much of "dish" in the front because I like to tuck the front wheels in just a bit so I can set the car lower to the ground.

I too have a C7 setup on order. The frame I will be recieving in a few weeks was distened to be C7 but because this frame is not in production (to my knowledge) at SRiii I decided to make my first frame a C6 suspension. I have all of the C7 suspension already and it will go on my #2 frame order. I jumped the gun a little bit wanting the C7 setup without realizing the issue with the wider stance. I talked with Mike about it last week and after it is all said and done I dont think there will be a tremendous amount of extra width to deal with once he has it engineered.

Here is a C2 I finished about 3 months ago. I like them sitting a little low as I think they look alot better. The front wheels only have 1" of lip on them but I think they look fantastic setting inside the fenderwell.

Wow! The black car looks great. The body lines seem pretty intact given the presentation in the photo. Probably, other photos from other angles may be more revealing. I really like the reveal on the rims and the way you were able to tuck the wheels with the aide of the flares.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Wow! The black car looks great. The body lines seem pretty intact given the presentation in the photo. Probably, other photos from other angles may be more revealing. I really like the reveal on the rims and the way you were able to tuck the wheels with the aide of the flares.
Ooops, forgot to mention we did not put any flares on this one and I was able to squeeze alot of rim on this one for a factory body. It just takes careful measurement.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Pro-Tour 63 Split Window Coupe Project........."PUNISHER"

Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Ooops, forgot to mention we did not put any flares on this one and I was able to squeeze alot of rim on this one for a factory body. It just takes careful measurement.

Mark
Did you narrow the chassis?

Mark, I would really like to stay in touch with you. It seems we are moving in a similar direction with the SWC's.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,

I am glad you like the rear quarters, they do fit much nicer than the GTS versions and allow more flexibility to roll the bottom rear section out to minimize the tire exposure from a rear view. He is also looking to do a mild front fender in the future to give a little more room up front. Even with the stock front panels, you can still fit a 275/30/18 on the front with a C6 Z06 offset. The project is looking great and you will definitely be excited with the frame shows up!! Stay in touch!! I hope to get back on my 65 coupe project soon

R/
Jeff

Last edited by 1coolC2; 05-23-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
Mark,

I am glad you like the rear quarters, they do fit much nicer than the GTS versions and allow more flexibility to roll the bottom rear section out to minimize the tire exposure from a rear view. He is also looking to do a mild front fender in the future to give a little more room up front. Even with the stock front panels, you can still fit a 275/30/18 on the front with a C6 Z06 offset. The project is looking great and you will definitely be excited with the frame shows up!! Stay in touch!! I hope to get back on my 65 coupe project soon

R/
Jeff
Jeff, I would never have known about these quarters if it hadnt been for you. I appreciate your steering me in the right direction! You have been a great inspiration to raise the bar on these C2 builds!!

Did you narrow the chassis?
No the chassis on the convertable was completely stock. It has a full Van Steel coil-over suspension on it with their control arms. It is a real nice set up. I just spent a lot of time measuring and with the right wheel it turned out great.

Quick Reply: Pro-Tour 63 Split Window Coupe Project........."PUNISHER"