C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Detailed assembly books

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:46 PM
La Rossa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Detailed assembly books

Hey fellas,
started years ago and finally just got painted is my 65 conv. resto-mod, now it's time to get down to business and put it together.
When I got the car, it was sitting outside for 27 years so I don't even know what goes where other than what I see in the sales books and now comes the catch: I purchased a couple of books : Mid America assembly manual and the complete corv. resto & technical guide vol2 but neither of them is actually helping a guy that is doing this for the first time, it breezes through things like you should already know and I'm sure 95% of people out there do.....but I don't.
Is there any books out there that tell you how for example to assemble the windshield part from installing the clips, which ones and where they go to how to assemble the whole removable top from headliner to latches?
I can buy every one I come across but I'm beginning to think most use the factory assembly (to me) a nightmare to decode pictures.
Any way, the clips for the lower windshield, I bought them but everything has been rebuilt including the channel so it would be nice to look at something that helps you do it the right way as opposed to a figure it out way and ultimately have to do it again.
Any way, I'd appreciate some help if it's not too much to ask since I used the search but all I see is what I already know.
Thank you!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Silver '65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the 1963 Service Manual, and the '64 and '65 Supplements, you don't have any idea what you are missing. They are absolutely fantastic for the degree of detail and illustrations in service and repair, and I imagine will answer most, if not all of your common questions.

Haynes they are not.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

You don't need the 64 supplement.

This forum is one of the best resources. Post photos of the area in which you are working and someone here can help explain what you need to do.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 832 Likes on 576 Posts

Dive in 'head first' when you start to spit and sputter in frustration...pop in here and ask your questions...a lot of the people on here have photos, write ups and an overall grip on what to do and how to go about it...some more than others....
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Assembly manual and ask questions and post pictures here. If you put models together as a kid, just think of your car as a full scale model. I found that as being a good way of thinking about it.

Also, one other thing from my experience... run the rear wiring harness before you get too far along. There isn't a lot of room behind the taillight area for chubby hands
Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

It would also be helpful for you to fill in your location. There may be someone close to you or in your area that may help you out.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:26 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

You are reading the best resource possible. Spend some time doing searches, learn how to construct your search criteria and you can find out EVERYTHING. For instance search "windshield clips" not "installing a windshield on a 66 Coupe". Often in the middle of a job I would get side tracked reading posts for an hour learning the answers to questions I hadn't even asked yet. Remember- "You don't know what you don't know". Learn how to "walk away". Think about it go to the forum and come back with a fresh take on the problem. Often you have a "Holy Crap! Now I get it !" moment and things will go very smoothly.

I could never have done my car to the level I did, pretty much right the first time, without it.
And then when you get something right, remember to give back. Post how you did it, what you learned to help build the body of knowledge for the next guy.

Last edited by IGO200; 11-07-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM
La Rossa
Instructor

Thanks a lot guys, I will take pictures and ask for detailed imput as it comes up, I figure if there was such a book that helped even with exploded views it would have been better still than whine about every little obstacle but I guess that's what forums are for.
Great forum by the way, glad I joined!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:33 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 832 Likes on 576 Posts

Did you READ the Sticky's at the top?...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...aq-thread.html
Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
La Rossa
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66jack
Did you READ the Sticky's at the top?...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...aq-thread.html
Can't you tell I'm new?
I did now!
Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Here's the complete sequential part-by-part factory assembly process, from the underbody subassembly in the basement to the shipping gate; printed, it's 27 pages.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CorvetteAssyProcess.pdf (157.5 KB, 331 views)
The following users liked this post:
larrywalk (10-02-2023)
Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Now you tell me......

Get notified of new replies

To Detailed assembly books

Quick Reply: Detailed assembly books