C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Side Mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM
qrance
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C1 Engine Side Mounts???

I can't be the only guy who ever has attempted this and I imagine the answer is right in front of my face but I just haven't seen it (please don't beat me up too bad). I have a good C1 frame that I don't want to get rid of; so can anyone tell me where I can go to get the details on where to weld the engine side mounts for an LS motor into this frame? Also, any suggestions on sources for the side mounts would be appreciated. Thanks, qrance

Last edited by qrance; 11-05-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I think the lack of response to your question is the title. I and some others my mistake it for someone wanting to put side exhaust on a C-1. I had to read it a couple of times for clarity. The thought and sight of side exhaust doesn't have much eye appeal. Dennis
Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 798 Likes on 545 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

To each his own, Dennis ! I would like to find header side mounts for my 60. However I also put flames on the side of my car which would horrify some on this board. As far as the side mounts for an LS1 , I would contact some of the frame builders that are being used, also look on eBay. They are putting these engines in a lot of stuff now. I myself would set the engine/trans in the frame where I want it and start fabbing up parts. Pops
Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by qrance
I can't be the only guy who ever has attempted this and I imagine the answer is right in front of my face but I just haven't seen it (please don't beat me up too bad). I have a good C1 frame that I don't want to get rid of; so can anyone tell me where I can go to get the details on where to weld the engine side mounts for an LS motor into this frame? Also, any suggestions on sources for the side mounts would be appreciated. Thanks, qrance
I see you are in Seguin, Tx.
Billy Dawson (Corvette Correction) is in Seguin.
Look him up, he'll set you up. His number is 830 305 7496
G.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 141 Posts

trans dapt has some good products
Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM
qrance
Intermediate

Yes, I am Billy's neighbor and will eventually go with a Dawson frame. But I have to do this in small stages due to cost. His frame is an awesome frame and due will need to be the last thing I switch over. This will give us time to build up the frame fund, but still be able to take the Vette out for a drive occasionally.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Installing side mounts will make replacing the original steering an absolute necessity. The side mounts and the existing steering, both want to occupy the same real estate! You will need to switch to a R&P unit.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 AM
qrance
Intermediate

Default Clarification: Engine Side Mounts

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in the original post. I am wondering if there is some sort of known place/mark (or anything) on the inner frame rails that I could use as a reference point for welding SIDE MOUNT engine mounts onto the frame? Yes, the original steering box has been long removed and replaced with a Speed Direct Steeroids R&P system that is really nice (so there won't be any obstructions). So I am beginning to gather that the best way to determine where to weld the side mounts to the frame is: mock up the engine, lower it into the engine bay, connect it to the automatic transmission (but leave it on the hoist), observe and mark the frame where the engine mounts line up with the frame, remove engine, weld in the side mounts and reinstall the engine? Is this more or less the best way to do the job? Again, thanks for everyone's help.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 798 Likes on 545 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That is in my opinion the best way ! Pay close attn to the driveshaft angle also.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM
don peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LS engine mounts

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in the original post. I am wondering if there is some sort of known place/mark (or anything) on the inner frame rails that I could use as a reference point for welding SIDE MOUNT engine mounts onto the frame? Yes, the original steering box has been long removed and replaced with a Speed Direct Steeroids R&P system that is really nice (so there won't be any obstructions). So I am beginning to gather that the best way to determine where to weld the side mounts to the frame is: mock up the engine, lower it into the engine bay, connect it to the automatic transmission (but leave it on the hoist), observe and mark the frame where the engine mounts line up with the frame, remove engine, weld in the side mounts and reinstall the engine? Is this more or less the best way to do the job? Again, thanks for everyone's help.
YES YES YES You can eliminate a lot of GRIEF with interferience at the firewall and the heater duct by doing a mock up. This will enable you to also identify any measurements that may require you to move tranmissions and rearend towards the front and/or require a different driveshaft length. Also keep in mind the elevation of engine and driveshaft angle. Measure twice and weld once. Good luck.
don
Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 AM
qrance
Intermediate

Okay, this is confirming my suspicions. Thanks folks for all your input (and patience).
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

tack the mounts to the frame before removing the rngine.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Side Mounts???

Quick Reply: C1 Side Mounts???