C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

frosty paint on a 66/67 grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default frosty paint on a 66/67 grill

Hello, what kind of spray paint is used to touch up the frosty looking areas on a 66/67 grill. While cleaning mine some of this paint melted away.
Thank you
Al
Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 PM
APV
Racer

Default Frosty grill paint

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
The Judging Guide says the grille should be a dull light gray. I painting mine with LIC Rallye Wheel paint (Argent Silver) and think it came out pretty good.

After a good cleaning and maybe a little fine steel wool for pitted areas, spray it from the backside to minimize paint on the chrome (forward) surfaces. Wipe the forward surfaces with a T-shirt dipped in lacquer thinner to remove the paint from unwanted areas. Originally they were masked but that would be way to much work and probably still require some cleanup.

Thank you Mike. Where can I purchase this paint? Is LIC Long Island Corvette?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 PM
APV
Racer

Default frosty paint

Yes, Long Island Corvette. I had a couple of spray cans laying around that I had bought for Rallye wheels; however, any good quality light gray paint should work.
Thank you Mike. I've been to Sparks Nevada in my travels.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 PM
APV
Racer

Default Frosty paint

I'm a Kalifornia refugee, retired to Nevada five years ago. Not sure where you've been, but I'm up in Spanish Springs, about 12 miles NE of the old town of Sparks
Hi Mike, seven years ago I retired from a high stress job. I asked the wife , who was still working ,if I could take a road trip to decompress. She said it was a good idea. A week later I was headed north from FL. Went up to Glacier Park, down to Sacrament over to Salt Lake down to Canyon lands, At this point I had been gone for eight weeks. We communicated every day and I would send pix. She did fly out and met me for a week in Salt lake. We then went to the Canyons together. After I took her back to fly out of Salt Lake she told me I had a week to get home or don't come back. I immediately headed back to FL. Had the trip of a lifetime. Shortly after that we found a cabin in the mountains of NE. Ga. and moved there. I never looked back.

Last edited by APV; 11-02-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2013, 06:13 PM
APV
Racer

Default Frosty paint

Found a can of aluminum spray paint that closely matched the tone of grille. Got it at Home Depot. It turned out very good. I tried to mask but soon took your advice and cleaned up the bright areas with lac. thinner.
Thank you for advice.
Al

Get notified of new replies

To frosty paint on a 66/67 grill

Quick Reply: frosty paint on a 66/67 grill