C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone still having trouble warming up to the C7?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Default Anyone still having trouble warming up to the C7?

When the C5 came out it took a bit to get over the big butt on the thing but I pretty quickly adapted to appreciating it's appearance. When the C6 came out I thought the general appearance of the interior went down slightly (quality may have improved) and I got used to the exposed headlights pretty quickly and think overall it's a nice proportioned and designed car.

But I'm having more than the usual trouble warming up to the C7. The taillights don't bother me as much as some others who commented about them, but it just seems overall to have too much Mattels Hot Wheels character in the exterior styling. Particularly in the lighter colors it just looks more like a characture than a car to me. I saw a black one that looked bettter being all blacked out.

Anyone else sharing this view? Wonder how sales are doing - not that I'm in the market for one?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 AM
68L71
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I agree. I like the C6 much better.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the coupe is fugly, the convertible is tolerable..
Bill
Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm not a fan either. I still like the C5 of all the newer Corvettes. They do everything really well and there are some really great buys on loaded low mile used ones.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I had the opportunity to drive 3 different 7 speed, Z51 2014's, at NJ Motorsports Park a few weeks ago. It was through the Chevrolet run "Corvette Driving Experience".

We were given three sessions behind the wheel, and three classroom sessions. By the 3rd sessions, we were hitting 130 on the main straight.

I will tell you that it's a fantastic driving car, and the best part about driving it, is that you can't see the outside from behind the wheel!

I do agree with you about the black looking better, and also agree about the tail lights. Personally, I think the black looks better, because all off those lovers all over it, tend to blend in, giving the car a cleaner look. If I were to buy one, the first thing I'd do was have the lovers painted body color, which would go a long way toward improving the looks of the car. As it is, it just has too much of a boy racer look for me.

The shape of the tail lamps doesn't bother me much, is just the overall look of the rear of the car. There are just too many shapes, all seeming to go different directions. The darn black lovers back there, don't help much either.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Personally, I think the black looks better, because all off those lovers all over it, tend to blend in, giving the car a cleaner look. If I were to buy one, the first thing I'd do was have the lovers painted body color, which would go a long way toward improving the looks of the car. As it is, it just has too much of a boy racer look for me.

The shape of the tail lamps doesn't bother me much, is just the overall look of the rear of the car. There are just too many shapes, all seeming to go different directions. The darn black lovers back there, don't help much either.
I think you did a better job of describing my issues with the appearance than my first post. This sums it up very well. I have no doubt it's a fantastic performing car. Maybe it will eventually grow on me.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I tend to echo the comments above. I have a C6 convertible, and I much prefer the way it looks to the C7. Too much going on with the newer car, as if the designers felt that they had to put a vent, slot, strip or character line on every square inch. It's just much too busy and fussy, like automotive origami. Now having said that, and having driven a couple of different C7s, the newer car is indeed much improved. Better handling, better performance, better interior . . . it is, no doubt, a better car. It is so unfortunate that they chose to make it look like some ten-year-old's refrigerator art. If I want a Hot Wheels car, I'll go to Target and buy one on the toy aisle. So, obviously I've elected to keep my C6 and enjoy it.

Now, my '62 is a whole other story. Gets more looks and interest than any C6 or C7, and although it's a much different driving experience, it's not unpleasant. Any Corvette is a great car - there's room to enjoy and appreciate them all.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I agree with all that has been stated (too busy and disjointed appearance, and like the convertible far better), but I understand that GM has listened, and will offer body color painted louvers next year.

A 2015 ZO6 convertible may be in my future.......

Plasticman
Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I am a slow adapter, I guess. I didn't care for the C5 until the Z06 came out and I purchased two of those. I hated the C6 until the Z06 came out and I bought one of those. I was ambivalent about the C7 until I saw - you guessed it - the Z06, and I really like it. Doubt I will get one though, too pricey.

Last edited by Zoomin; 08-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin

That's a fine looking bat mobile......yeah ummm no.

They ruined the C4 with the C5 and then fixed it with the C6. I guess that's the progression of life. They are doing a better job with the interior......finally.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I warmed up to it after I drove my Dads new C7 Conv. Fast, crusies at 80mph in grooved interstate highways no problem, Car has Eco setting Sport setting which works well. Raced my friend in his F 599 (for a short distance...light to light), and did not do too bad (in fact he had me pull over to check it out, For low 60K on a vette conv, its a great car.

Last edited by Daren67; 08-06-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't warm up to the C7 either. The front half isn't too bad, but the back half really turns me off. Obviously, the C2s are the best Corvettes ever made, but of the current generations, I like the C6 the best. Having said that, I recently picked up a C4, which is also a good-looking car. At least it is after the mid-model redesign of the front and rear. The only disappointing part is the quality of materials and build. Seem cheap for a "halo" car, even by Chevy standards.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I like it but also agree with the comments about making the rear lower panel body color. I believe it was Rich Lagasse who did that to his when he got it! A white one that looked great after that modification.

Don
Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

The over all look of the C7 is OK, but I find none of the specific features pleasing. My eye doesn't rest easily on the fenders, tail lights, hood, etc. The C6 is way more pleasing. The C7 is selling like hotcakes, so Chevy hit the modern sweet spot with the looks for the masses.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I noticed that they changes the tail lamps on the Camaro this year.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Saw an 80k example ( not even the Z06 option ) at a Corvette show. The design is beyond words ... a little past fantastic. Don't drive the car I have now so new is out of the question. I do love the way the C-6s are coming down in price. Been scouting for a 2008 or newer and seeing them half the price of a C-7.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone still having trouble warming up to the C7?

Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I had the opportunity to drive 3 different 7 speed, Z51 2014's, at NJ Motorsports Park a few weeks ago. It was through the Chevrolet run "Corvette Driving Experience".

We were given three sessions behind the wheel, and three classroom sessions. By the 3rd sessions, we were hitting 130 on the main straight.

I will tell you that it's a fantastic driving car, and the best part about driving it, is that you can't see the outside from behind the wheel!

I do agree with you about the black looking better, and also agree about the tail lights. Personally, I think the black looks better, because all off those lovers all over it, tend to blend in, giving the car a cleaner look. If I were to buy one, the first thing I'd do was have the lovers painted body color, which would go a long way toward improving the looks of the car. As it is, it just has too much of a boy racer look for me.

Originally Posted by fyreline
I tend to echo the comments above. I have a C6 convertible, and I much prefer the way it looks to the C7. Too much going on with the newer car, as if the designers felt that they had to put a vent, slot, strip or character line on every square inch. It's just much too busy and fussy, like automotive origami. Now having said that, and having driven a couple of different C7s, the newer car is indeed much improved. Better handling, better performance, better interior . . . it is, no doubt, a better car. It is so unfortunate that they chose to make it look like some ten-year-old's refrigerator art. If I want a Hot Wheels car, I'll go to Target and buy one on the toy aisle. So, obviously I've elected to keep my C6 and enjoy it.

Now, my '62 is a whole other story. Gets more looks and interest than any C6 or C7, and although it's a much different driving experience, it's not unpleasant. Any Corvette is a great car - there's room to enjoy and appreciate them all.

OTOH, we're probably all just demonstrating that we are from a different age group demographic than what GM is intentionally targeting with the C7..........
Old 08-06-2014, 01:02 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
When the C5 came out it took a bit to get over the big butt on the thing but I pretty quickly adapted to appreciating it's appearance. When the C6 came out I thought the general appearance of the interior went down slightly (quality may have improved) and I got used to the exposed headlights pretty quickly and think overall it's a nice proportioned and designed car.

But I'm having more than the usual trouble warming up to the C7. The taillights don't bother me as much as some others who commented about them, but it just seems overall to have too much Mattels Hot Wheels character in the exterior styling. Particularly in the lighter colors it just looks more like a characture than a car to me. I saw a black one that looked bettter being all blacked out.

Anyone else sharing this view? Wonder how sales are doing - not that I'm in the market for one?
Not trying to ding those folks who like the C7, but to me it's to "Tranformer-ish" looking, very Mazda looking like a RX8 on steroids. I prefer the previous decades sleek aerodynamic look that looks like it's moving even when it's standing still. Not a fan...sorry to my C7 buddies.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

Let's just say I'm safely on record with my contempt for the C7. However, it seems I'm a man, at least with respect to this subject, with loose principles. A couple of weeks ago Ms. Mudbone and I were sitting in line in the '72 waiting to enter a car show and there was a C7 directly in front of us. Ms. Mudbone says "I really like the way the new Corvette looks". I say "yo love you must be kiddin'" (or something like that)! Ms. Mudbone, who is diminutive of stature says "I wonder how high the seat will raise"? I say "hmmm".

I did go to another show last weekend where I asked a guy with a C7 convertible "hey man, how high does that seat rise"? He was kind enough to let me sit in the car and sure enough it gets plenty high and with the telescoping wheel you can practically sit yer butt right on top of the steering wheel. I think to myself "hmmm".

I justify my new position by saying you can't have your cake and eat it too. Yea, the looks aren't all that much but the performance would be enough to make me look the other way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone still having trouble warming up to the C7?