C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 speedometer works, odometer stopped. Who to rebuild?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
midnight02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 speedometer works, odometer stopped. Who to rebuild?

I finally joined the club of taking a C2 dash out

It took me longer than I planned but I was taking pictures and labeling everything. I took it out because the odometer just stopped in it, but the speedometer works perfect. I'd like to find out who to send it to. I've done a search and Bill Harrison came up in quite a few posts. I've also seen Corvettes of MD in Cali come up a few times. The face doesn't need to be restored, just have the odometer worm gears/bushing replaced. I just really need a quote and time frame to give my customer an idea.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Had mine done in 1999 by Paragon Reproductions. Still works perfectly today. I'm sure other CF members have their own good references.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Do you have any local speedo repair shops? There is no need to send it out if you do. All repair shops get their parts from the same place. All Delco speedos are basically the same regardless if it's a Corvette or an Impala. The speedo in my 60 stopped working completely this summer, speedo and odometer. It froze up/jammed and destroyed the cable as well. I couldn't even turn the input shaft by hand. I took it to the local shop. 1 day and $100 later, everything was completely rebuilt. He said he did 4 Delcos that afternoon.

Jim
Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM
perry mitchell
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1snake
Do you have any local speedo repair shops? There is no need to send it out if you do. All repair shops get their parts from the same place. All Delco speedos are basically the same regardless if it's a Corvette or an Impala. The speedo in my 60 stopped working completely this summer, speedo and odometer. It froze up/jammed and destroyed the cable as well. I couldn't even turn the input shaft by hand. I took it to the local shop. 1 day and $100 later, everything was completely rebuilt. He said he did 4 Delcos that afternoon.

Jim
Not to steal the thread but I'm in the same boat. I see that you are in my area. Who did the repair on your speedometer?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Midnight02;

I have same issue. 1963. I really would like to know how many miles I'm putting on the car!!

Getting the speedo out is really intimidating to me. Can you post pics and process that you did.

Did you have to disconnect everything just to get it out or just move the panel out far enough to get the speedo disconnected??

Oh, and what about that silly trip counter???

Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by perry mitchell
Not to steal the thread but I'm in the same boat. I see that you are in my area. Who did the repair on your speedometer?
Sent you a PM with the info. you wanted.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 PM
midnight02
Instructor

Originally Posted by donbayers
Midnight02;

I have same issue. 1963. I really would like to know how many miles I'm putting on the car!!

Getting the speedo out is really intimidating to me. Can you post pics and process that you did.

Did you have to disconnect everything just to get it out or just move the panel out far enough to get the speedo disconnected??

Oh, and what about that silly trip counter???

Thanks
Yea I have them all at work and can post up some pictures. It definitely seems intimidating at first but I did some searching on the forum before I started. I'm by no means a mechanic but I do have mechanical knowledge, just enough to get me in trouble . Just take things slow, mark everything and take pictures as you go. You really do need to remove the entire gauge cluster in order to get the speedometer out. The trip didn't work either on this one.

I called Bill Harrison and talked with him a bit. I sent my speedo to him as soon as I got off the phone and am looking forward to him working his magic on it. 1snake, I tried to find a place local to do it but didn't feel comfortable taking it to them, plus I prefer helping out someone on the forum.

Thanks everyone
Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 573 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 1snake

Jim
You are correct on a 53-62 vette any shop can fix, 63-67 have a factory defect that needs to be modified or it will do the same thing again, that is why there are so many low mileage vettes, they all break (most)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM
midnight02
Instructor

I just wanted to give an update. I got the speedometer back from Bill a few weeks ago and it works perfect. I can't thank him enough. He only changed what was broken and cleaned/adjusted some of the other components. The customer was happy and now I know who to call the next time I need one done. Here's a to you Bill, thanks again!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM
SoCalC2
Advanced

Same issue here, can someone send me the repair process instructions. I think I can handle the taking it out, possibly even repairing the tumblers with a little patience.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:04 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Without a doubt I'd have mine done by Bill at harrisonspeedometer

He will do it absolutely right and will calibrate.

RK
Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by RoadKing96
Without a doubt I'd have mine done by Bill at harrisonspeedometer

He will do it absolutely right and will calibrate.

RK
Its trickier than you think.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Its trickier than you think.
I agree. Bill just returned my cluster in perfect condition and is redoing my clock now. Nice work and an honest man.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,262 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalC2
Same issue here, can someone send me the repair process instructions. I think I can handle the taking it out, possibly even repairing the tumblers with a little patience.
You have a great instruments man right there in No. San Diego. Mike at Valley Vettes. You might give him a call.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalC2
I think you need special tools to fix the odometer correctly. Magnetization comes to mind.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
You are correct on a 53-62 vette any shop can fix, 63-67 have a factory defect that needs to be modified or it will do the same thing again, that is why there are so many low mileage vettes, they all break (most)
Well Yeah, I was gonna post that "They all do it"
My 67 broke 4 times in the first year, and Chevy quit fixing it. Then 4 years later they suddenly cancelled my warranty because "your odometer doesn't work!"
My 63 has mostly never worked.. That is, the TAch works fine, but I have only put 98,000 miles on my car in um....51 years! pretty cool Huh?
Old 06-21-2014, 06:10 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here's an article I wrote last year about gauges. Seattle Speedometer says they see more damage from people trying to fix their own gauges then they do from wear. They want me to send them the whole cluster on my '58.

Richard Newton
Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Gmont
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfn026
Here's an article I wrote last year about gauges. Seattle Speedometer says they see more damage from people trying to fix their own gauges then they do from wear. They want me to send them the whole cluster on my '58.

Richard Newton
Add me to the Bill Harrison fan club. Bill is extremely competent, can magnetize/demagnetized correctly and calibrate the speedo better than it came from factory. He is very conscious about not using new gears, etc if they are not needed and will do as little or as much as you want him to and is very reasonable. Send him an email if you have questions. Gmont

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 speedometer works, odometer stopped. Who to rebuild?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1965 speedometer works, odometer stopped. Who to rebuild?