C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

new carpet, no insulation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:21 PM
mallie
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default new carpet, no insulation...

Got new carpet for my 65 Coupe from ACC and got it installed by a local upholstery shop.
I think I learned my lesson and will not cut corners and go the cheap route next time...

They did a very lame job! Car was filthy in and out, somewhat poor fitment of the new carpet, a few dings/scratches on the central console. Some of the interior panels not refitted properly and, most of all, they did not replace the insulation!! They put new padding but removed the insulation!! Not sure they could have kept the original insulation but at least they should have let me know before putting the new carpet w/o it!!! It was to be a $380 job, but needless to say I did not give them a penny for that lousy job!

Anyway, do you think I shall add the insulation (meaning I would have to remove carpet again and probably replace padding too). I drove it a few times and could not really feel a difference in term of noise or heat...

Thanks,
-Matt
Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

"They put new padding but removed the insulation!!"

What are you saying here, both sound the same
Old 10-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Kerr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on driving it i would.. Mine use to get so hot it felt like you toes where on fire.

What i did was simple to be honest.. took out the seats, pulled out the carpet, went to home depot and got rolls of the thick insulation in the heat and air section. ( stuff you would see in your house, sorta looks like chome) put that down, also went up the fire wall as far as i can. Then bolted everything back in. i didnt do any testing before and after, but i can tell you my feet dont feel like they are on fire. This was a few years ago so im not sure what i cost now, But i think i spend like $60.00?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:34 PM
mallie
Pro

they replaced the carpet jute but not the insulation:

I mean this insulation
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...Product_Viewed
Old 10-11-2013, 04:36 PM
mallie
Pro

Originally Posted by Kerr
If you plan on driving it i would.. Mine use to get so hot it felt like you toes where on fire.

What i did was simple to be honest.. took out the seats, pulled out the carpet, went to home depot and got rolls of the thick insulation in the heat and air section. ( stuff you would see in your house, sorta looks like chome) put that down, also went up the fire wall as far as i can. Then bolted everything back in. i didnt do any testing before and after, but i can tell you my feet dont feel like they are on fire. This was a few years ago so im not sure what i cost now, But i think i spend like $60.00?
u only did the front? what year is your vette? I think 63s did not have any floor insulation.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by mallie
they replaced the carpet jute but not the insulation:

I mean this insulation
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...Product_Viewed
I bought the same stuff for my 65 and decided not to use it. It's still in the box sitting in the corner of my garage. I used Thermo-tec insulation instead.

Jim
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I could be wrong, but I believe all that was there from the factory was the jute padding. The Eckler's kit you reference is an add-on, not factory original. I didn't find anything but jute when I redid my '66 coupe. I added Dynamat throughout.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Do you know if the carpet that was in your car was original or a combination of someone's creativity? Your description (two layers of something) makes me think it was someone's creativity. As far as I know all orig carpet was backed by jute padding only. Call it insulation, sound deadening, padding, but it was one layer of material. Most of us long term owners call it "jute" padding. The shop got it right. Not sure what your interpretation of "insulation" is, but put it in if you like. Dennis
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Corvettes 63-67 had no insulation. 63/64 had foam backing on the carpet, 65/67 had jute. If they added jute that's all it should have gotten unless otherwise specified. You can't have both jute and insulation otherwise your carpet would be too thick. As suggested you might add some sort of heat barrier product like Dynamat under it all.

Sounds like the carpet may need to come out.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:47 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

The underlayment in the link posted above by the OP is exactly what they came with from the factory.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  54.6 KBWhen I recently did my 67 coupe, I pulled the jute underlayment I discovered that it was original Stevens padding with a rubberized backing dated two months before my cars assembly date. I installed new rubberized jute padding over the foil backed heat insulation that's only about 3/8" thick and doesn't affect the ACC carpet installation at all.
Got everything from the 20% off sale at Willcox. Anyone who can use scissors, a Phillips screwdriver and a couple of scrapers can change carpet/insulation in their mid year car. Simple.
Tom
Old 10-12-2013, 06:35 AM
ooh yeah
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RestoMike
Corvettes 63-67 had no insulation. 63/64 had foam backing on the carpet, 65/67 had jute. If they added jute that's all it should have gotten unless otherwise specified. You can't have both jute and insulation otherwise your carpet would be too thick. As suggested you might add some sort of heat barrier product like Dynamat under it all.

Sounds like the carpet may need to come out.
I used hush mat and Jute material, well worth it. The wife and I did the work, PITA few day job but everything is together as should be. I will tell you this if you decide to use both the install is a little harder due to lengths of bolts and screws. Just cut out the Hush mat around the attaching points so the original hardware fits.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 AM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

"I used hush mat and Jute material, well worth it."

Same here. I also included sound deadner inside the doors as well. It's amazing the results sound deadner makes inside the cabin.

Last edited by RestoMike; 10-12-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:43 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mallie
a few dings/scratches on the central console.
-Matt
Nice ...

Get notified of new replies

To new carpet, no insulation...

Quick Reply: new carpet, no insulation...