C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

dash crack repair ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 AM
beekey buzzard
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default dash crack repair ?

has anyone used one of the vinyl repair kits on the market to fix a crack in the dash ? if so what brand would be the best? TY
Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 AM
rick66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not. But I did have a small hole (3/16") in the passenger side dash pad. I had an accident *cough*with a drill/drill bit. After asking around, I was advised to contact the recon shop at a car dealer. They put me in touch with a traveling repair man. Apparently he travels form dealer to dealer making such repairs. His repair was beyond perfect. You would need a microscope to find it.

First he filled the hole, added the grain back into the surface, then sprayed dye to match my dash color. Fortunately mine was black, so the color match was fairly simple. As recall, it was about $40.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rick66
I have not. But I did have a small hole (3/16") in the passenger side dash pad. I had an accident *cough*with a drill/drill bit. After asking around, I was advised to contact the recon shop at a car dealer. They put me in touch with a traveling repair man. Apparently he travels form dealer to dealer making such repairs. His repair was beyond perfect. You would need a microscope to find it.

First he filled the hole, added the grain back into the surface, then sprayed dye to match my dash color. Fortunately mine was black, so the color match was fairly simple. As recall, it was about $40.
I had a tear in the headliner of my '61 hardtop...found a small reconditioning shop near a local auto auction. Fella charged me $45 for the fix (done 5 years ago). You need a pro - those TV kits are crap no matter how much cleavage the salesgirl shows.

"Before" and "after" shots.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To dash crack repair ?

Quick Reply: dash crack repair ?