C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

We lost doug hooper today

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default We lost doug hooper today

At 10 AM today, Doug Hooper passed quietly after a 8 month battle with kidney failure.

2007 Corvette Hall of Fame Inductee Doug Hooper began racing in 1959 behind the wheel of his 1957 Corvette. A regular participant at Cal Club and SCCA Events, Doug's achievements note him as a world-class racer and one of the first drivers to have brought the Corvette to the international stage as a winning racing machine following his win in the “Times Grand Prix” in Riverside, California on October 13, 1962.

Chevrolet introduced the new Sting Ray Split Window Z06 racing option in October 1962 at Riverside Raceway. Dave MacDonald, Bob Bondurant , Jerry Grant and Doug all drove Z06 Split Window Corvettes. Billy Krause drove the first Shelby Cobra ever to race that day, but the Mickey Thompson sponsored Z0-6 driven by Hooper won the three hour race of 46 cars averaging 84.06 mph in front of 78,000 spectators.

In December 1962, at a special Z0-6 brake test session at Sebring, Zora Arkus-Duntov approached Doug and asked him to test his new secret project – the Grand Sport. After the test, Doug was scheduled to co-drive the Corvette Grand Sport with Billy Krause at Lemans in June 1963.

Doug drove at the 3 hour Continental at Daytona in mid February 1963, and after the race, the GM sponsored race program ended.

In the summer of 63, Doug raced all over the West and had many wins and opened “Doug's Corvette Service” in North Hollywood , California and created one of the premier Corvette and Rochester Fuel Injection repair shops in the country.

In 1989 in addition to the shop and racing, he added to his busy life and became a Reserve Police officer for L.A.P.D.

In 1993, Doug continued to stay active in racing and was asked to prepare and tour the country in the original #001, 1963 Grand Sport – the same car he had tested at Sebring some 30 years earlier!

Under Roger Penske's ownership in 1966, this Grand Sport, one of the original five, had a 427 L-88 big block motor installed and was previously driven by Corvette Hall of Fame legends, Dick Thompson and Dick Guldstrand at Sebring in 1966. Doug toured the USA Vintage Race events in the 1993 season with the car and raced it with great respect and admiration of the public.

Numerous books and magazine articles have been published acknowledging Doug's winning career and accomplishments. Notably winning the SCCA Pacific Coast Championship five times.

He was a great friend and strong Corvette competitor. We drove cross country in 2009 to CARLISLE. I need to write a book about that trip. I will miss Doug. He was one of my heroes.

DOUG STARTED RACING IN HIS 1957 CORVETTE in 1959. This car used to be black and was owned by Scott Briley. Dan Gurney raced this car at the first TIMES GP at RIVERSIDE in 1957 and won. That limited Corvette drive got Dan into the ''big league'' of racing. (DOUG HOOPER Photo)

The MICKEY THOMPSON 63 Z0-6 CAR that Doug drove at Riverside in October 1962 and won. Doug drove the same car at DAYTONA in February 1963.(DAVE FRIEDMAN photo)

JOE FREITAS, PAUL REINHART, AND DOUG HOOPER AT THE MONTEREY HISTORIC RACES IN 2002 WHEN CORVETTE CELEBRATED ITS 50TH BIRTHDAY. (JIM GESSNER Photo)

JOE FREITAS, SHERRY MACDONALD (DAVE MACDONALD'S WIFE), BOB BONDURANT, DICK GULDSTRAND, DOUG HOOPER, SKIP HUDSON, and PAUL REINHART, At the JULY 1991 NCRS National Convention Anaheim, California. ALL GREAT FRIENDS UNITED FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE MID 60'S. (Maggie Logan photo)

MONTEREY HISTORIC 2008, Doug's last race in a STINGRAY. Dick and ***** Guldstrand visiting with Doug before the race. DOUG drove the old 1964 DAVID REX well known Midwest Corvette racer owned today by FRED YEAKEL. (FRED YEAKEL Photos)

DOUG AND SON MARK HOOPER GET READY AT PRE-GRID

Last edited by jimgessner; 10-03-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Very sorry you have lost your friend, sounds like one hell of a guy, you were lucky to know him. He will be racing in the clouds now.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Don't mean to hijack your thread Jim, I just want to pay my respects to a GREAT Corvette racer........

We've lost a very significant part of Corvette racing history, but more importantly, a good man. I met Doug at the vintage races at Mid Ohio in 1993 and he and Dr. Dick Thompson were kind enough to autograph a poster and talk to me about the Penske Grand Sport he was racing that day. And RACE it he did!!!!!! I was very impressed that day with how hard Doug drove the car..........................just like he always raced.................like a champion.

R. I. P. Doug

Doug in the original Grand Sport at speed, and I mean he got the most out of that car that day..............at Mid Ohio 1993

Last edited by Dr L-88; 10-03-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

RIP Mr. Hooper! His good Lord called another one of the good guys home way too early.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Sorry to hear of his passing. He did what many of us would love to do. Dennis
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Don't mean to hijack your thread Jim, I just want to pay my respects to a GREAT Corvette racer........

We've lost a very significant part of Corvette racing history, but more importantly, a good man. I met Doug at the vintage races at Mid Ohio in 1993 and he and Dr. Dick Thompson were kind enough to autograph a poster and talk to me about the Penske Grand Sport he was racing that day. And RACE it he did!!!!!! I was very impressed that day with how hard Doug drove the car..........................just like he always raced.................like a champion.

R. I. P. Doug

Doug in the original Grand Sport at speed, and I mean he got the most out of that car that day..............at Mid Ohio 1993

Thank you Rex for adding these neat pieces of history.Doug brought many smiles to many people.

He always talked about that time in 1993-94 when GRAND SPORT owner at that time GENE SCHVIONE was so generous with the car to not only bring Doug an offer a drive the car in vintage events, but also allow Doug to restore the car to ''as raced'' 1966 condition at Sebring.

In 2009 I wanted to go back to CARLISLE for the RACER REUNION that Chip Miller created in 1999 as a every 5 year event. I also wanted to drive rather than fly and visit with great Corvette friends along the way. Doug called and said. ''CAN I DRIVE''.... knowing full well that my abilities are limited.

We has a great 18 day trip. One stop was at Harry Yeaggy's collection to see the GRAND SPORT that Doug drove and restored.

The ''original'' 377 inch all aluminum engine.

WE were on our way to the CORVETTE MUSEUM after this visit and Doug showed us all his 1963 RIVERSIDE LA TIMES Trophy that he considered donating to the museum. We all agreed that day he should keep it. Doug's son Mark got the trophy.....and Doug's 65 fuel injection convertible he owned since the early 1970's.

Last edited by jimgessner; 10-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Jim:

What a great Picture of him setting in "his car"...

You can see in his face the memories flooding back to that era...
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Jim, we were able to meet Doug at Bob Bondurant's table at the 60th Corvette Banquet at this year's Monterey Reunion last August. I can't believe that he has passed less than 2 months later! Thanks for the story. Doug was a great guy, and he will be missed!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

RIP Doug Hooper I did not know him personally but he was a Corvette racing legend. We really need to embrace and enjoy these guys while they are still with us. Their numbers, unfortunately, are dwindling.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 PM
c369
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Doug Hooper

Jim,

I was lucky enough to have joined Doug and the guys for their weekly lunch a few times in the last year or so. He was a very special individual who captured your attention when he told his stories.

He will be missed dearly!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default He would always stop and talk with a Corvette guy!

To Doug, I was just known as Jim's kid (Jim Jones-- I am not your kid, a different Jim!!! And I am not sure if he (Doug), ever knew my name, just Jim's kid!!!!!

My Father worked up in Sun Valley and would just go down on occasion to the shop and sit around and talk about fun stuff with Doug! I actually don't know how they met, how they became friends, and I don't know why they connected, but they did and I am sure there was some Corvette talk!

But he had a particular look on his face if you said something questionable but wouldn't call you on it or maybe he would! Fierce competitor, he would shove you out of the way, if you were moving too slow! Great loss! We ought to line up the Corvettes and fire up all of the engines together in salute! Also the first driver ever to win in our beloved Sting Ray. RIP

I had to go into my picture archive to find my favorite shot of him competing! L-88's were just race cars back then and it was in the way!!

I thought I would post up another! Even thou he was hanging with Engine Building royalty, he brought a sense of humor with him even on race day. The Smith car that he supported is pictured behind them (Jim Jones- Traco). Doug I love the hat!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:08 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default Some new photos

THESE TWO PHOTOS SHOW THE PROFESSIONALISM THAT DOUG AND HIS TEAM DISPLAYED IN THE 1993-94 VINTAGE RACE SEASONS WHEN GENE SCHIVOINE AND DOUG TOURED AMERICA WITH THE GRAND SPORT # 001 ROADSTER SO ALL AMERICA COULD HAVE A CHANCE TO SEE THE CAR IN ACTION AGAIN.

ONE OF THE BEST LITTLE CAR SHOWS WAS THE FABULOUS 50'S RACE CLUB CONCOUR dPROVENANCE. EVERY OCTOBER FOR 5 YEARS WE GATHERED FOR A FUN SUNDAY SHOW OF RACE CARS ONLY. JUDGING WAS BASED ON ''PROVENANCE'' AS WELL AS THE CAR. OWNERS WOULD BRING THEIR TROPHIES, OLD DRIVING SUITS, PHOTO ALBUMS OF DAYTONA, SEBRING, LAGUNA SECA, RIVERSIDE ETC. WHERE THESE CARS RAN BACK IN THE DAY.

DOUG, AND DICK GULDSTRAND AND I HAVING A LAUGH EARLY IN THE MORNING DURING SET UP. WE THREE WERE ALWAYS ON A TEAM OF JUDGES FOR THE 50-60 OVER 2.0 LITER CLASS OF CARS.

JERRY GRANT, BOB DRENNAN AND DOUG LOOKING AT THE 60 SEBRING # 6, and 1962 #4 DENVER DR. RAVELL BIG TANK RACER.

IN 2008, THE PETERSEN MUSEUM CELEBRATED CORVETTES. A RACER SEMINAR WAS PRESENTED DURING THE DAY AND A BEAUTIFUL DINNER THAT NIGHT. THE STARS ALL RECEIVED A PLAQUE. THIS LOUSY PHOTO SHOWS ALL, BUT I CAN ONLY RECOGNIZE PAUL REINHART, TONY DELORENZO, DICK GULDSTRAND, LOU GIGLIOTTI, JOHN FITCH, JIM JEFFORDS, BILL POLLACK, BOB BONDURANT, JOE FREITAS, SHERRY MACDONALD, DOUG HOOPER, SCOOTER PATRICK, DON MELINE, BOB D'OLIVO, FRED SUTHERLAND, REEVES CALLAWAY, JOHN HEINRICY. I am sorry if I forgot a few I can't see well.

In 2009 DOUG AND I DROVE TO CARLISLE TO THE RACER REUNION. WE COVERED 7388 MILES OVER 18 DAYS OF ADVENTURE VISITING COLLECTIONS AND FRIENDS. WE SPENT TWO DAYS IN MICHIGAN WITH GM ENGINEERS WHO SHOWED US TECH CENTER AND WIND TUNNEL THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE NEVER SEEN. OUR TWO DAY HOST ENGINEER OWNS THE MICKEY THOMPSON BILLY KRAUSE 63 Z0-6.WE TALKED TO THE WEE HOURS ABOUT THOSE 63 RACING DAYS.

WE EVEN SAW GETTYSBURG WHICH HE REALLY ENJOYED. HE SAID JIM, ''IN THE RACE DAYS WE JUST WENT FAST ACROSS AMERICA. NEVER HAD ANY TIME TO SMELL THE FLOWERS''

I INTRODUCED THE STARS ONE EVENING THAT INCLUDED L/R DOUG, TONY DELORENZO, JERRY THOMPSON, ''MARIETTA'' BOB JOHNSON, RON DEPPERT, ALLEN AND DON BARKER, DOUG BERGEN and others

Last edited by jimgessner; 10-05-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Another great American, Doug Hooper. I enjoyed watching him race when I was a kid. God Bless him and all the men who made America strong.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM
iluvmy57
1st Gear

Default Doug Hooper (friend)

Doug was a member of our Corvette club (Southern High Sierra Corvettes) and meant many things to all of us. Doug could tell a story like no one else and his humor was one of his best traits.

Doug will be sorely missed by all of us and has left us to early.

I would like his family know that we all loved him and will miss so many things about him.

Doug, rest in peace.

Stan
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I never knew him or of him (sorry to say), but the photos of him will live forever. Thank you for sharing your memories.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Great photos and history! Thank you for sharing!

RIP Mr. Hooper.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:57 AM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

sorry for your loss .thankyou for sharing history/photos.

Get notified of new replies

To We lost doug hooper today

Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Thanks for the photos and perspective on Doug Hooper, Jim.

The drivers who raced the Corvette in it's early years deserve a lot respect and even reverence. They helped ensure that we would have Corvettes and a whole hobby to enjoy today, and Doug Hooper was among the greatest. I wish I could have met him, but I'm lucky to know you, Jim.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 AM
bhommejeune
1st Gear

Default Doug Hooper

I first met Doug at my birth. The first picture I have shows Doug trying to keep a hold of me in my hospital garments. Doug's wife Nancy, Mark, Monica and I sincerely appreciate all of your best wishes and prayers.

Steve
Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default 2007 hall of fame induction video

This U-TUBE 11 minute video, tells more of DOUG'S HISTORY

Quick Reply: We lost doug hooper today