C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How difficult is it to install power windows in a 62 with manual windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default How difficult is it to install power windows in a 62 with manual windows

IS it very hard to install power windows in a manual car. Do they make complete kits that include everything you would need. Are there limited switches that stop the window at the top and bottom or does just hitting the bumpers cause window to stop. Anyone install windows and who did you purchase from, thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to get a '62 Corvette Assembly Manual. I have an older version by T Michaelis Products that shows three pages of assembly instructions used by the factory to install power windows. The assembly shows part numbers for the motors, switches, retainers, trim panels, wiring locations and routing. It looks fairly complicated, but you should try to find this manual. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

FTF did it to his 61, he can tell you all about it
Bill
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
FTF did it to his 61, he can tell you all about it
Bill
If he can do it, anyone can.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are two basic kits and which one you choose will depend on how original looking you want things to be. SPW (Specialty Power Windows) is one http://spwkits.clickforward.com/products.php and Auto City Glass is the other http://www.autocityclassic.com/index...d=90&Itemid=45 .

The Auto City has motors and switches and hooks up identically to the original power windows - including correct looking conduit. The SPW kit (which I used) works fine but does NOT use the direct drive motors as original and the windows operate faster than the original power windows. You CAN make them look original by installing polarity reversing relays and original style switches (a LOT of trouble). The kits are not cheap and then there is the issue of door panels; you will have to get new door panels withOUT the window crank handle.

There is a support in the door that may require you to grind a bit to pass the new regulator in (regulator installation is the worst part of the job). Sometimes you are lucky and no grinding required. The electrical hook up is straightforward. The SPW kit had fugly looking chrome tubing for the electrical conduits so I got original conduits and did the necessary mods to the doors and jamb to make them work. You can also make the SPW switches work with your EXISTING door panels and save big bucks by modifying the window crank holes slightly. That is what I did; a few pics follow. The last picture shows how critical the original conduit location is. Every time the door closes the metal conduit must "thread the needle" through two passages in the door jamb. It's fun getting that exactly right - if you decide to do that get in touch with me and I can give you the measurements for cutting the holes in the door and in the jamb.

If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the Auto City product for the "closer to original" factor.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-29-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the 'neatest' part of his installation is that he mounted the switches in the original window crank holes and thereby didn't have to buy new door panels..

Bill
Old 09-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes, I took a 'flyer' and modded the existing manual window panels and it worked out nicely. I did have to grind about 1/8" out of the driver side door crank hole to get the double switch in but that was no biggee.
Attached Images    
Old 09-29-2013, 10:31 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yes, I took a 'flyer' and modded the existing manual window panels and it worked out nicely. I did have to grind about 1/8" out of the driver side door crank hole to get the double switch in but that was no biggee.
Thanks, I've got a better idea now of what will need to be done.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Thanks, I've got a better idea now of what will need to be done.
While you are running the wires for the power windows, run
two extra for power locks. You will want them later.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To How difficult is it to install power windows in a 62 with manual windows

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to install power windows in a 62 with manual windows