C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

4 post lift jack

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 4 post lift jack

I have a Direct Lift 4 post lift and I want to get one of the jacks that fit between the tracks and have the two lift points. I see there are at least two brands that will fit my lift. Direct Lift has two models and Atlas has a couple.

Does anyone have such a jack? What do you have and what is your experience?

Thanks,
Don
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the unit you refer to but purchased from Superlift when I bought their SR-7H 4-post lift a few years ago. It's a scissors-air bag unit that runs off of compressed air. Has arms on either side that slide in and out, came with a few different pairs of posts in different lengths with a padded top piece, that plug into the outboard area of each arm.

Very handy unit, allows me to get the front or back wheels off the ground (ramps) when the car is on the lift. Slides pretty easily along the inside lip of the ramps. But my sliding jack unit is one heavy unit indeed - I mean monsterously heavy. Just getting it into position when I assembled the lift was a feat. So it is always going to be there, I tend to leave mine towards the rear of the car and move it forward when I need to work on that area.

You are going to need an air compressor to run it. At least mine certainly does.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I was looking at the ones that are hand operated. I didn't want to spend the extra $200+ for the hydraulic one.

The prices are

$595 for a Direct Lift brand 3500 pound manual jack that slides between the rails

$795 for a Atlas brand 6000 pound manual jack that has rollers

I assume since yours is hydraulic that you also have rollers that make it easier to from front to back.

Is there anyone out there that has a slider that can comment on how difficult it is to move front to back?

Should I spend the $200 extra to get rollers?

Don
Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a wooden 2x8 Bridged across and a bottle Jack. I put a 3" round piece of steel on top of the jack so as to not Dimple the chassis. Al W.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

They sell a "jack bridge" for just that - I have one too (great for jacking up the engine or supporting the tranny, etc.). But still might be tricky to position a bottle or scissors jack under a jacking point under the frame rails?

Get notified of new replies

To 4 post lift jack

Quick Reply: 4 post lift jack