C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

T5 5 Speed Install . . . DONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Default T5 5 Speed Install . . . DONE!!!

After 3 years of planning and acquiring parts, I began what I thought would be the simple install of my GM WC T5 in my "66 L79 convertible in the fall of 2011. While the install went rather smoothly, upon completion I had 2 major issues I wasn't expecting . . . severe clutch chatter and an annoying vibration above 1800 rpm's. The task to fix both issues wasn't easy - and all of my efforts were interrupted by an extensive home remodeling project, lack of time, and other "life" issue that got in the way. I've tried several things over the past 2 years,but couldn't seem to solve the 2 major issues easily.

About 60 days ago I got serious about getting this install completed, and pulled the engine/T5 for @ the 6th time in the past 2 years. It turns out the vibration was caused by an improperly balanced pressure plate, and the clutch chatter was caused by a clutch disc with the wrong size "hub" . . . both parts supplied by a major powertrain company. Both parts were junk!!! I put my original pressure plate back in, along with a new Hays clutch - and my issues are gone!!! I've driven my car now for the past 2 weeks and I couldn't be more thrilled with the results . . . all the heartache has been worth it in the end. The shifts are short and precise, and the car runs great!!!

- total price of this conversion . . . @ $1200

- smile on my face as I cruise down the highway @ 2200 rpm's @ 60 mph . . . priceless!!!

Here's my original install post from December, 2011 with details and photos:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...n-my-66-a.html

Tom
Old 09-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice Tom! I am happy it worked out for you.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

ok, lets hit the road! Dennis
Old 09-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Dennis,

I'm thinking about it! But . . . my brother is on a sail boat trip - delivering a sail boat from Annapolis to Myrtle Beach. I'll check to see when he gets back . . . there's still time!!! I need to come see you real soon and let you drive it!!!

Tom
Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Good idea! Check your PM. Dennis
Old 09-21-2013, 04:50 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Congrats Tom. That feeling of "SUCCESS" is something we need to feel more from life. I spent last evening installing a Pertronix unit in my 64. I usually don't have good luck on do it yourself projects but somehow I keep pushing myself in to the next one.

After several hours and even a posting here in the forum asking a question, a member's post allowed me to go forward and as they say: TUH-DUH!!!!!! When I hit the key and it started I think I felt a little bit of heaven.

I'm in no way comparing a tranny swap with an ignition upgrade. It's the feeling of "FINALLY".........that's the payoff.
I went for a moonlit drive last night to enjoy my success. I think I passed you on the road. You were the guy driving that had that HUGE GRIN on his face..............congrats. AZ
Old 09-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Thanks AZ! I've been working on the install off-and-on for the better part of the past 2 years . . . lots of things got in the way! Had the engine/T5 out no less than 6 times to chase several issues. My buddies thought I was nuts . . . but I was determined to make this swap work . . . and my perserverence finally paid off. Now I can really enjoy it! Next project - install cruise!

Congrats on your successful project as well.

Tom
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Remember that famous saying Tom:

SUCCESS HAS MANY FATHERS!

FAILURE IS AN OPHAN...................

Burma Shave.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Nice Work Tom. Glad you can finally enjoy your work.
Did you end up using the factory shifter or upgrade to aftermarket?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Did you end up using the factory shifter or upgrade to aftermarket?
Westlotorn,

I used the factory shifter - modified! The T5 is @ 2 inches longer then the Muncie, so you need to move the shifter @ 2 inches forward. Here's a photo of the modified shifter:

Here's of photo of the final version in the car:

Tom
Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

It's good to hear this project has seen its completion! I'm sure that fifth gear is quite nice. Speaking of such things, have you had the opportunity to get the car on the open highway and test out the overdrive? If so, what kind of rpms are you turning at say, 70 mph? Do you know your differential gear ratio?

I've been searching for a WC V8 T5 for about 2 years now with no luck. If I do run across one it's very pricey.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Do you know your differential gear ratio?
Mudbone64,

Yes . . . 4.11 . . . the whole reason for doing the 5 speed!!! 70 mph is @ 2580 rpm's . . .

There's a guy in Florida working on a T5 conversion for his C2 . . . he's collected 3 T5's in the past year . . . let me check with him to see if he might be willing to sell one of them!

Tom
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 AM
hotrodstingray64
Heel & Toe

Great pictures. Definitely something I want to try. Did the gentleman ever contact you back about the three transmission he had? I am in Florida also and would not mind buying one if he had one. Thanks Sam
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Did the gentleman ever contact you back about the three transmission he had?
Hi Sam,

No . . . but I still have his email address and I'll send you a PM with his info. He is a "Forum" member!

Tom
Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Your posts on this helped me very much, Thank you! I did the same thing on my LS3 install. I sent the one we had to a place called G-force to get it beefed up. I love how it shifts (shifts like butter), it fits very nice, and no vibrations! Enjoy yours and Thank you again for the write up!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Sixty4,

You're welcome! Enjoy your T5! FYI . . . yes, I've heard of G-Force . . . they do a great job from what I've heard.

Tom
Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a nightmare! Congrats on getting it working!

Get notified of new replies

To T5 5 Speed Install . . . DONE!!!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 PM
xoft
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Gathering Parts But Close!!!!

I am still gathering parts! But I'm close!
I found a WC T5 and an 83 Camaro bell housing fairly close to my house!
Thanks to forum members pointing me in the right direction! I am in "while I have the engine out" planning mode now. Just gathering small stuff now to fix it all while its a part.
Thanks for the great Thread!!
Attached Images    
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
DB66
Cruising

Hello Everyone,

1st of all I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this topic discussion, current post and related. I do not believe I would have ever considered the install if I had not stumbled across these posts.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding a recently purchased 89 WC T5 out of a Firebird for install into my 66 L79 vert. I am planning the install in a few weeks pending resolution/answers to a few questions.

Although the information contained is very detailed, and appears to cover most popular applications, I am still unclear on a few points.

1) What bell housing options are available and recommended. If possible, I would like to retain the mechanical clutch set up. Assuming this configuration, can a hydraulic bell hsg. be used with modification to the fork, or is the rare mechanical housing the only option when using mech clutch.

2) I am currently running the stock M20, with a fairly new (15K miles) Hays clutch and pressure plate. Will this setup work with the T5, require new pressure plate to mate with T5 input shaft, or is it recommended to go new with dedicated setup?

3) Using the angled Chevy housing, chosen for preferred shifter location, what is the best or suggested transmission mount option?
Tom, I really like the simplicity of your modified mount. Do you have any drawings or illustrations showing how the modifications were made, and do you have any information on the elastomer/rubber isolator used?

Thank you all in advance for any information and direction you can provide.

Don
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
xoft
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Default T5 Install

I believe someone on here has used the Hydraulic clutch bell housing with a manual clutch.They said you could even leave the bracket if you wanted to.

As for your Clutch/Pressure plate. You will need to buy a clutch with splines to match the T5.

Tom will Probably chime in here on #3. He is working on a Trans mount process that does not require cutting your existing trans mount.

You didn't ask about it but I will share my experience with the T5 rebuild. I am putting mine together right now! I just stopped for lunch and saw your post. Bob Hanlon from Hanlon Motorsports has been a great help to me! I first purchased the "How to rebuild a T5" video" Very helpful! When I was ready to start, he had a great price on a VERY complete rebuild kit. Then his wife also helped me thru the process of determining I needed to replace 2nd gear. They are both very Knowledgable and a pleasure to deal with! I am almost back together with it.
Good luck!
This is a great Thread!

Originally Posted by DB66
Hello Everyone,

1st of all I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this topic discussion, current post and related. I do not believe I would have ever considered the install if I had not stumbled across these posts.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding a recently purchased 89 WC T5 out of a Firebird for install into my 66 L79 vert. I am planning the install in a few weeks pending resolution/answers to a few questions.

Although the information contained is very detailed, and appears to cover most popular applications, I am still unclear on a few points.

1) What bell housing options are available and recommended. If possible, I would like to retain the mechanical clutch set up. Assuming this configuration, can a hydraulic bell hsg. be used with modification to the fork, or is the rare mechanical housing the only option when using mech clutch.

2) I am currently running the stock M20, with a fairly new (15K miles) Hays clutch and pressure plate. Will this setup work with the T5, require new pressure plate to mate with T5 input shaft, or is it recommended to go new with dedicated setup?

3) Using the angled Chevy housing, chosen for preferred shifter location, what is the best or suggested transmission mount option?
Tom, I really like the simplicity of your modified mount. Do you have any drawings or illustrations showing how the modifications were made, and do you have any information on the elastomer/rubber isolator used?

Thank you all in advance for any information and direction you can provide.

Don

Quick Reply: T5 5 Speed Install . . . DONE!!!