C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 hard top leaks - correct hardware

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1964 hard top leaks - correct hardware

Hey everyone,

I have a question about a leaking top. If I wash my '64 or get caught in the rain with the hard top on and then take it off afterwards I've noticed there is standing water in the fold of the soft top. The deck lid drains are open so I'm pretty sure the water is coming in the bolts holes on the deck lid. The seal on the hard top looks good and I have rubber washers, flat metal washers and wing nuts in place on the back bolts. Could it be that I have the wrong washers in place? They are about the size of a nickel and after I have the side bolts in place I raise the top & lid to tighten the back bolts. The only place I have water is in the fold of the soft top right below the back bolts. The rubber washers are covering the holes pretty good. So, have any of you all experienced this? Any tips? I could buy an assortment of washers (rubber and metal) and keep trying it until solved but if you all can save me a few trips I would be thankful. Thanks.

/Tracy
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

I used the cut off fat end of old tire valves for a rubber washer. That and a nickel size flat washer. No leaks here in 12 years.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Subfixer
I used the cut off fat end of old tire valves for a rubber washer. That and a nickel size flat washer. No leaks here in 12 years.
Hmmm, okay. I'll look for thicker washers or hit the tire store. Thanks for the tip!

/Tracy

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 hard top leaks - correct hardware

Quick Reply: 1964 hard top leaks - correct hardware