C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

2 Great Weekends one with a little Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Default 2 Great Weekends one with a little Drag Racing

Last couple of weekends with Lydia have been great. Thursday, Friday and Saturday before Labor Day I spent at the Corvette Museum 19th Anniversary. I was at the Grand Opening back in 1994 and hope to be back for it's 20th Anniversary and for the Grand Opening of the Motor Sports track next year. Should be a lot more Corvette owners then.

Sometimes small numbers aren't that bad. Was able to sit in on all the inductee ceremonies and other functions with no problem. Doubt if that will happen next year.

Entered the Car Show. There was only 1 C1 entered, 3 C2 (2 of which were restomods), and 2 Chrome Bumper C3. All the rest were C4s, C5s, and C6. Hope some of the members here will bring their C1's and C2's next year. Sort of show the late model owners that we drive our cars too.

Got lucky, as Lydia was Wil Cooksy pick. Not sure if was the exhaust he like best or my SUGIDAD tag. Ever time he saw me afterwards he would holler out SUGIDAD. In the picture of car with Wil and his wife, the way I got her to laugh was by asking her if Wil was her Sugardad....LOL

Since I was going to be coming back to Bowling Green, the next weekend, I talked the Museum Management into putting Lydia/SUGIDAD on display for a few days. Got that done with a $500.00 dollar bribe...LOL Part of putting Lydia on display was to allow Management to get a chance to see Museum Members as well as the general public reaction to a Stylized Restomoded Midyear Corvette being displayed. It didn't hurt that they had all ready had a Display of Older Customized Vettes this year. The Museum was very pleased with the reception she recieved from the public as well as Board of Driectors and members.

Picked Lydia up last Thursday so I could take her to Holly's LS Fest (all things powered by LS Engines).

Enter Lydia in the Show and Shine, as well as the Rumble Drag Class.

In the Jet Hot Coating Show and Shine, Lydia got the Best Engineered Award. Any time you can go home with something it's great.

Entered the Rumble so I could see how Lydia performed in the 1/4 mile in stock driver form. We want talk about how Bad her owner's performance was. Lets just say He needs a lot of practice on improving his Reaction time. I did get it less than a .500 of a second one time....LOL Well have to remember I haven't Dragged Raced since 1967, I'll be 70 in January, plus I'd didn't even know what a Pro Tree was...LOL

Little back ground on Lydia's stock set up.

Her total weight with around 3 or less gallon of gas is 3279 Lbs. With a full tank of gas, she goes 121 pound heavier on the rear end vs front, for a grand total of 3400 Lbs. Well guess what OLD and STUPID did. Yes he filled up the tank on Thursday, before driving over to track on Friday morning...LOL. Remember, for ever 100 lbs of weight you lose a Tenth of a Second in a 1/4 mile.

While Lydia has a 480 HP/470 TQ HO GM crate engine, she only makes 360 HP at the rear wheels. That about right when you consider there is between 20-25% Drive Train lost with and automatic. In my case part of that lost can be attributed to running an LS2 MAF sensor because I don't have room for a 4.0" of straight pipe to mount LS3 MAF sensor in. Just so you know, the same tune on a DynoJet Dyno produced 401HP at rear wheels.

That extra 100 lbs of fuel may have cost be the chance to say I have an 11 second car in street form, even if it's High 11's...LOL Lydia is also shod with 300 wear rated Nitto 555 street tires. Nitto 05, 200 wear street tires or Drag Radial might have helped Lydia to get into the 11's if either could have gotten the 60" times down from the 1.90 to 1.60.

All in all, I'm proud of how she performed as ran on Friday mourning when there was good air, 12.03 and 12.076 on the two runs I made then. Got two more runs in on Saturday, but the were at 6:30 PM in the evening when it was a lot hotter and both runs were in the 12.3s. On Fridays runs we had to drive around the water and try and heat the tires up dry, but Saturday they lets us do burnouts with wet tires. Did not help cars 60.0' time.

Maybe next year, I'll make it back and get her into the Hig 11's to Mid 11's or maybe with a little engine teaking, Low 11's. Just have to see how it goes this winter. Maybe tires, 3-4 gallons of gas along with taking a look at different MAF sensor setup/intake air system, or at least knocking out the Honeycomb in the LS2 MAF. Did I say I already have a LS3 MAF sensor along with a 4.0" section of pipe to cut on....LOL

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 09-10-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Nice write up. You have a beautiful car. Your power is way down. My 2001 LS1 with headers and a tune made 350 rwhp. The LS3 with headers and a tune is making better than 400. If you want more power try talking to Vengeance Racing in Cummings, Ga. They are just a couple of hours from you. They are a supporting vendor on this forum and can really improve the performance of an LS engine. Ask for Ron. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Thumbs up !!!

looks like s great time was had, congrats on the timeslips
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

way to go. 12.3 is not bad at all. best of luck jim
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Congratulations! That looks like a great couple of days!!

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To 2 Great Weekends one with a little Drag Racing

Quick Reply: 2 Great Weekends one with a little Drag Racing