C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Big block

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM
HeadsUp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 65 Big block

OK now that I've got your attention... I don't post often but I thought this subject may warrant a thread.

I'm aware of a 1965 big block corvette that is currently for sale. Unfortunately its for sale because the owner passed away. Long story short the car was in the middle of restoration. The previous owner had someone break into his shop and steal the transmission, hood and ripped off the VIN and trim tags. Would you pursue the purchase of this car with no tags? I'm aware that the VIN tag can be reproduced if the appropriate documentation could be produced. I've been told the original bill of sale and multiple prior registrations are available along with the protecto plate. As long as the bill of sale, registration, engine pad and frame all had the same VIN a slam dunk candidate for a replacement VIN tag right? Of course the VIN would be run thru the DMV to check for a dup.

Not sure about the trim tag though. That would seem to be minor. Don't know.

Now the question is how much to offer for said car. The body needs a little work but the drive train was completely re-done. I was thinking $20k for a car that could come with a lot of headaches. I have no pictures so please do not ask. Also I have a friend trying to buy the car so please don't ask about the location.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

The first question I would ask is why would a thief rip the vin and trim tags off?

The second would be why spend money rebuilding a car that will always be the red headed step child...

Hitch...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

I know where it is, how much his offer was and what it takes to buy it......so there
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM
HeadsUp
Racer

If I were a low life trying to scam someone I may try to steal tags. However as long as the VIN came back clean didn't seem to me that a replacement VIN tag would be all that hard to acquire due to all the documentation. If the VIN didn't come back clean I'd feel bad for the car owner with that VIN. Unless they were the ones that stole the tags. In that case string them up!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hitch
The first question I would ask is why would a thief rip the vin and trim tags off?

The second would be why spend money rebuilding a car that will always be the red headed step child...

Hitch...

I'm thinking one would steal that to install on a non-big block car to pass it off as one....no?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Tags

Originally Posted by chucks88
I'm thinking one would steal that to install on a non-big block car to pass it off as one....no?

NO, nothing on either tag would denote a B/B or a S/B.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
NO, nothing on either tag would denote a B/B or a S/B.
Now, if this very particular thief stole the VIN tag AND the original engine I'd guess it would make a little more sense, but that's still ridiculous because the VIN will come up as stolen the minute said thief tries to register the car he has transplanted the VIN (and engine) to.

That story is seriously suspicious (what thief takes the time and effort to steal a tranny, hood and tags off of a car - why would he not roll the whole friggin car away?), but whatever the reason for the missing VIN and trim tags the OP's question is the same. IF the car is purchased and restored, you will be left with a N.O.M. (or OM with a "story"), N.O.T. 65 BB with a state-issued VIN tag and I guess a repro Trim Tag. Your car, your money, but there are other C2s to spend tens of thousands of dollars on that won't leave you with no way to recoup most of your investment.

Last edited by ctjackster; 09-10-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM
bill3302
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thought is a driver at best, I have owned a 65 triple black big block for over 20 years. I have documentation and Bloomington Gold, still get people questioning it all the time.You know those people that think they know every car out there. Let alone if you have no original Trim Tag or Vin Tag. Every time you show the car you are going to have to tell your story.Gets old. Best of luck
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Once the orginal VIN and trim tags are removed from the car no matter what you do you will always own a car with questionable VIN and trim tags.

If you can get the car at the right price than go for it and enjoy it. If not than I would pass on this as you will never come close to getting any of your money back if you decide to finish the car and sell it down the road.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

I inspected the subject car today. I could not find the VIN in either location on the frame. Trim tag had been ripped off. Parts of it were still under the rivets. The VIN tag was completely removed, but there were non-stock looking pop-rivets still in the lower dash brace, so it was probably destroyed during removal as well.
The only number that matched the old registration was the VIN derivative on the block.

This will never be a numbers matching car anyone can document. No real VIN, replacement Muncie, etc.... The car could be a good driver for someone, but not at the asking price. Needs too much work and will never be a high dollar car.

Chassis had multiple repairs (probably why the VIN is no longer there) and mechanicals were new and/or rebuilt, but the body is very rough as well as the interior.

On the bright side, there's a beautiful fuel injected 62 and a fuel injected 63 SWC as well. Cars are beautifully restored and the asking prices are up there....... a little too rich for my blood.......

Anyone looking for a Pro Street 1950 Olds coupe, with a blown, injected 502? I know where one is.

Last edited by Subfixer; 09-10-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM
HeadsUp
Racer

-deleted-

Last edited by HeadsUp; 09-12-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Retracting my statements
Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
chucks88
Safety Car

Sold to some guy from Cape Cod who over paid for the car for $27K
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Sold to some guy from Cape Cod who over paid for the car for $27K
Even at that price a 1965 big block corvette that is only missing a transmission and hood could be parted out on ebay for a profit.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 AM
HeadsUp
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Even at that price a 1965 big block corvette that is only missing a transmission and hood could be parted out on ebay for a profit.
Actually a transmission and hood were included with the car. Just not the originals
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Subfixer
I inspected the subject car today. I could not find the VIN in either location on the frame. Trim tag had been ripped off. Parts of it were still under the rivets. The VIN tag was completely removed, but there were non-stock looking pop-rivets still in the lower dash brace, so it was probably destroyed during removal as well.
The only number that matched the old registration was the VIN derivative on the block.

This will never be a numbers matching car anyone can document. No real VIN, replacement Muncie, etc.... The car could be a good driver for someone, but not at the asking price. Needs too much work and will never be a high dollar car.

Chassis had multiple repairs (probably why the VIN is no longer there) and mechanicals were new and/or rebuilt, but the body is very rough as well as the interior.

On the bright side, there's a beautiful fuel injected 62 and a fuel injected 63 SWC as well. Cars are beautifully restored and the asking prices are up there....... a little too rich for my blood.......

Anyone looking for a Pro Street 1950 Olds coupe, with a blown, injected 502? I know where one is.
Already been up there long before anyone knew they were there. The old guy was getting his head filled with overblown prices by his appraiser. (I actually talked to him too) The old guy told me $35k firm for the 65?!?!?!?

He told me that 65 COULD be a $125k car after restore!!! I said..."Not without the VIN!!!"

As far as the ProStreet Olds...he told me $85k wouldn't buy it!!!! (Not that I had it anyway!!!)
Old 09-25-2013, 01:15 PM
HeadsUp
Racer

Originally Posted by DIP51
Already been up there long before anyone knew they were there. The old guy was getting his head filled with overblown prices by his appraiser. (I actually talked to him too) The old guy told me $35k firm for the 65?!?!?!?

He told me that 65 COULD be a $125k car after restore!!! I said..."Not without the VIN!!!"

As far as the ProStreet Olds...he told me $85k wouldn't buy it!!!! (Not that I had it anyway!!!)
How long ago were you up there? The owner died late July. The brother who is handling the estate doesn't know anymore than what someone tells him. The brother told me the 65 appraised at $28k but he gets confused a lot. Mixes up the facts on the cars.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

......and the price on the Olds has always been about 45K since the brother came out in June from CA.....85K? The Ol' man was obviously confused
Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Ben Penrod
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

......and the price on the Olds has always been about 45K since the brother came out in June from CA.....85K? The Ol' man was obviously confused
I'm trading two cars for aa 65 corvette that sounds like the same car ? So I better check for fake vin #s ....great and he supposed to be a friend!!! Wow what's the odds of that ...just so happened to read this article.... Might have just saved me my life's savings... Literally...
Bless you all...
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Penrod
I'm trading two cars for aa 65 corvette that sounds like the same car ? So I better check for fake vin #s ....great and he supposed to be a friend!!! Wow what's the odds of that ...just so happened to read this article.... Might have just saved me my life's savings... Literally...
Bless you all...
You are posting to a thread thats over 2 years old.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Big block

Quick Reply: 65 Big block