C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thinking of Selling my 1965 A/C Coupe . . . .

Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
If you do decide to sell it, price it high as it is easy to come down but not to go up.
If you want to see what the buying market will do, why not put it on Ebay with a high reserve?
Personally I would keep it.
Food for thought . . . . . might give me a better idea of the market. General consensus seems to be that the $45,000 amount I was initially thinking could be a bit low . . . . .

Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
For sure, they're fewer and further between than most. And if what I believe is correct about this one being sold new in Kearney, Nebraska, just makes the history a little more intriguing. Not too many of us bought A/C on our cars in 1965, especially the Corvettes. And even fewer up north where the temperatures are cooler. I talked to a couple of the folks from Kearney who thought the car could have been bought new by Mr. Kizzier for his wife because of the 3:08 positraction and A/C, but Kizzier has been out of business for several years. Midway Chevrolet has taken their place, and the manager there I believe worked previously at Kizzier.

I finally managed to locate Mr. Kizzier (Dick, I believe) down Arizona way where he moved after closing the dealership, and although he was friendly enough and willing to chat, had no memory of this particular car. Bummer!! Still, with a little searching, perhaps a note in the local newspaper, something could turn up. But one would need to move quickly I think. All the older folks from that era get fewer and fewer as the years pass . . . . . . .

Thanks for the comments!
You can confirm original selling dealer through the NCRS, of course.

With that said, I land with those who would urge you to consider holding on to it (unless you don't have the room to store it or need the money you would get for it) - I assume you have it insured as a collector car, and there is no financing on it, so your carrying costs are quite low. Why send her away?

But I always have a tough time selling my cars and motorcycles - if not for my wife I'd still own every one of them (She inisists on selling one before getting another)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ctjackster
You can confirm original selling dealer through the NCRS, of course.

With that said, I land with those who would urge you to consider holding on to it (unless you don't have the room to store it or need the money you would get for it) - I assume you have it insured as a collector car, and there is no financing on it, so your carrying costs are quite low. Why send her away?

But I always have a tough time selling my cars and motorcycles - if not for my wife I'd still own every one of them (She insists on selling one before getting another)
Thanks Jack,

I realize I could confirm the selling dealer through NCRS, but I'm sure enough in my own mind that it was sold at Kizzier in Kearney due to the emblem I removed when I had the car repainted. It was installed on the rear deck with self-tapping nuts that threaded onto the emblem studs. Since I bought the car when it was 10 years old, and was at that time just a "used car", I'm relatively certain that the emblem was installed at the original dealer. Especially, given that it would be extremely difficult to install without removal of the rear exhaust filler panel. With that fact, and, given that it doesn't make a lot of difference to me where it was sold, I'll leave the confirmation with NCRS to the next owner.

I don't need the money (never thought there would be a point in my life where I could say that), and have storage for the three Corvettes, Goldwing, two Cushman scooters, and an assortment of RC planes and other hobbies. But I am getting older and my kids have no interest in owning it at this point in their lives. And I, like you, have a lot of difficulty selling anything! Otherwise, I wouldn't have owned it for the past 38 years!! And you're correct, carrying costs are quite low. Collectible insurance is very reasonable, upkeep is minimal, especially with the lifetime Firestone battery from 30 odd years ago. I recently replaced the Michelin tires strictly due to age, they were approaching 20 years old and although they still looked quite good, I thought it was time.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks Jack,

I realize I could confirm the selling dealer through NCRS, but I'm sure enough in my own mind that it was sold at Kizzier in Kearney due to the emblem I removed when I had the car repainted. It was installed on the rear deck with self-tapping nuts that threaded onto the emblem studs. Since I bought the car when it was 10 years old, and was at that time just a "used car", I'm relatively certain that the emblem was installed at the original dealer. Especially, given that it would be extremely difficult to install without removal of the rear exhaust filler panel. With that fact, and, given that it doesn't make a lot of difference to me where it was sold, I'll leave the confirmation with NCRS to the next owner.

I don't need the money (never thought there would be a point in my life where I could say that), and have storage for the three Corvettes, Goldwing, two Cushman scooters, and an assortment of RC planes and other hobbies. But I am getting older and my kids have no interest in owning it at this point in their lives. And I, like you, have a lot of difficulty selling anything! Otherwise, I wouldn't have owned it for the past 38 years!! And you're correct, carrying costs are quite low. Collectible insurance is very reasonable, upkeep is minimal, especially with the lifetime Firestone battery from 30 odd years ago. I recently replaced the Michelin tires strictly due to age, they were approaching 20 years old and although they still looked quite good, I thought it was time.

As I tell people when they are selling their home. It's eventual worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. Everyone thinks their home is worth more than what it actually sells for. You are going to deal with a lot of Aholes if you list it on Flea bay or Craigs list. Try listing it on this forums 4sale section first. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by biggd
As I tell people when they are selling their home. It's eventual worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. Everyone thinks their home is worth more than what it actually sells for. You are going to deal with a lot of Aholes if you list it on Flea bay or Craigs list. Try listing it on this forums 4sale section first. Good luck!
My sentiments exactly. I'd much rather sell it to someone on the forum, most of my experiences here have been only positive. A lot of great folks on the forum. I've got to get a little more information and photos pulled together and once I do, I'm currently planning on listing it in the "For Sale" section of the C-2 posts. May take me a week or two, but that's my current plan . . . . . . .

Thanks for the "Good luck!" wishes!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My sentiments exactly. I'd much rather sell it to someone on the forum, most of my experiences here have been only positive. A lot of great folks on the forum. I've got to get a little more information and photos pulled together and once I do, I'm currently planning on listing it in the "For Sale" section of the C-2 posts. May take me a week or two, but that's my current plan . . . . . . .

Sorry to see a good guy part with a nice 65, but I certainly wish you luck in your efforts to sell it
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Martyt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

I have factory AC on my 66BB convertible; no way I am selling it. I think you will regret the sale; I have had a 59 and a 62 which I sold in the past; I have always regretted the sales. In your case, you have great history with your car; all the more reason to keep it. m
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll check to see if I won the PowerBall lotto last night. If so, the money should be ready...
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
I'll check to see if I won the PowerBall lotto last night. If so, the money should be ready...
Interesting you should say that, I've had the same thoughts at times.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine said he was buying a Powerball ticket at a nearby town and the next fellow in line asked him, "Do you know what I'm gonna do if I win the Powerball?"

My friend replied that he didn't know and told me the fellow went on to explain that should he win he was going down to Bernie (my hometown) and buy that Corvette convertible that the guy down there drives around. He was referring to my '66.

I told my friend should he see him again to come ahead because if he should win the Powerball that I was certain that we could work out a deal on the '66!!

No Problemo!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Martyt
I have factory AC on my 66BB convertible; no way I am selling it. I think you will regret the sale; I have had a 59 and a 62 which I sold in the past; I have always regretted the sales. In your case, you have great history with your car; all the more reason to keep it. m
I understand, that's one reason it's taken me the last few years to get closer to selling. But, I'm not one to rush into a sale, as you can probably tell since I've owned the two mid-years for over 35 years now, huh?

But, there comes or will shortly come a time when they should be passed on . . . . . .

Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

In your mind if you are selling because you are "done" with it meaning you dont like it you priced it right.

Who wants it sitting around. price to sell, good bye

If its just cause you dont drive it much well life happens to us and seems theres never enough play time if any.

Mine will sit up to 4 mos at a time. Frustrating...then the car slips from mind

However one drive it reminds me we need that to stay sane at least I do.
Cheaper than a shrink and there when you need it. 38 yrs is a long run!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

I told my friend should he see him again to come ahead because if he should win the Powerball that I was certain that we could work out a deal on the '66!!

No Problemo!!!
I didn't realize the '66 was also for sale – for the right price. OK, let me check my lotto ticket...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's my thoughts on you selling your beautiful 65 Ron..........
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
In your mind if you are selling because you are "done" with it meaning you dont like it you priced it right.

Who wants it sitting around. price to sell, good bye

No, it's not that I've grown tired of and don't like the car, I still like it very much. It's a better car all around car as far as driving and riding than my '66 convertible, but I attribute that to the structural rigidity of the coupe. Much more rigid construction IMO than the convertibles. And the design . . . . . one of the top all-time body designs, if not the best ever, of any vehicle EVER. Again, IMO, although a lot of the car magazines in past years have tended to agree.

If its just cause you dont drive it much well life happens to us and seems theres never enough play time if any.

Mine will sit up to 4 mos at a time. Frustrating...then the car slips from mind

I think that's the primary reason upon reflection. In earlier years, it was driven a little bit almost daily. But, in the past several years it's been MUCH less. I remember looking a few years back and seeing that I had driven the car around 100 or so miles for the YEAR. Attribute the low mileage driving to keeping it in storage during the winter months, along with driving the convertible during the more pleasant spring & fall periods, I guess. Just haven't taken the time . . . . .

However one drive it reminds me we need that to stay sane at least I do.
Cheaper than a shrink and there when you need it. 38 yrs is a long run!
And lastly, I know you guys are right in at least one respect. For sure there'll be times I'll miss the car once it's sold . . . . . decisions, decisions . . . . . . so I intend to take a little time to think the matter over before I commit to a final decision . . . .
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

And lastly, I know you guys are right in at least one respect. For sure there'll be times I'll miss the car once it's sold . . . . . decisions, decisions . . . . . . so I intend to take a little time to think the matter over before I commit to a final decision . . . .
Too bad you can't privately lease out your car for a year with buy out option (buyer/seller agrees at end or not) at the end of the term; would benefit both sides
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Don't worry about it. You're still gonna have one in the garage. I just sold my 65 coupe, still have the 60, and the only problem I'm having is deciding what to spend all that money on. Good luck with your decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of Selling my 1965 A/C Coupe . . . .