C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Instrument lights? How many & how to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:35 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Instrument lights? How many & how to replace?

I'm just doing a few small projects on my 64 and I want to replace most if not all the instrument lights.

I did a search on the forum and it wasn't much help.

Two questions:

Is there an easy way to replace them all or will I need to go to yoga class and dive under the dash with this 62 year old body?

Next:

How many lights are there? My courtesy lights work and dome, it's just the instrument lights I'm looking at for now.

Thanks for any help..........AZ
Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

65GGvette the 63-64 cluster either has a few more or less then the 65-67 cluster. I forget what one has more Also only the "brake" light slot gets the 257 flashing bulb. The light is a solid light.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Just happened to have that picture saved so I thought I'd share it for reference. I don't know what year the picture is from. I also cannot answer how hard it is to change them, I have not had to do that. I would think at least using some long screws temporarily in place of the stock screws to move the cluster out for a little more hand room would help though.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would agree that picture should help. The last time I had to put bulbs in a cluster is when I was 15 so I would not be much of a help. All I remember is that the very top bulbs are very difficult to get to while in place
Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
65GGvette the 63-64 cluster either has a few more or less then the 65-67 cluster. I forget what one has more Also only the "brake" light slot gets the 257 flashing bulb. The light is a solid light.
Good call Keith

Using the photo as a guide, the bulb at the 2 o'clock position relative to the back of the oil gauge, and the complementary bulb at the 10 o'clock position relative to the BATTERY gauge, are omitted on 63/64.

To change the bulbs I would:
  • Loosen steering column escutcheon at the cluster
  • Loosen steering column mounting bolts to allow column to drop down
  • Replace the cluster mounting screws with long 1/4x20 bolts
  • Slide cluster forward towards the driver's seat until the oil line prevents movement
  • Disconnnect oil line
  • Move cluster a little more
You should now have access to the back of the cluster in order to access the bulbs.

Note: If you have factory A/C you'll have to also remove the hood release bracket and the A/C duct under the cluster.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 09-03-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Good call Keith

Using the photo as a guide, the bulb at the 2 o'clock position relative to the back of the oil gauge, and the complementary bulb at the 10 o'clock position relative to the BATTERY gauge, are omitted on 63/64.

To change the bulbs I would:
  • Grab a big handful of patience, and an entire afternoon free
  • Place all children well away (out of earshot) from the area, because you WILL be swearing at some point
  • Loosen steering column escutcheon at the cluster
  • Loosen steering column mounting bolts to allow column to drop down
  • Replace the cluster mounting screws with long 1/4x20 bolts
  • Slide cluster forward towards the driver's seat until the oil line prevents movement
  • Disconnnect oil line
  • Move cluster a little more
You should now have access to the back of the cluster in order to access the bulbs.

Note: If you have factory A/C you'll have to also remove the hood release bracket and the A/C duct under the cluster.
fixed your list for you
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Hey Guys...had to be away from the computer for the day and it sure was great to log on and find these helpful offerings. Looks like a fun job ahead. I saw there were "packaged" bulbs for sale and I wanted to make sure what they sold and what I needed matched. Well......now the fun part start..........thanks again especially for that saved photo. Now if I could only shrink myself to get behind that dash..........

Last edited by azmusclecar; 09-04-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ctjackster
fixed your list for you
Thanks for fixing the list.........I see the logic here.........I just wonder if I have a little bit of masochism in me that I decide to do these projects myself?

I know from past experience that the goal of having a perfectly lit dash will cost me my:

Sanity
Patience
Witness
Sleep
Peace
Happiness
Joy
Kindness
Gentleness

and yet.............sitting behind the wheel at night.....with the gages all lit up...............is somehow worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need help............Lord.............I truly need help........

Hide the women and children I'm going in.............
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Kerr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not a hard job, its just anoying. If you havent done it yet, do one bulb at a time. then double check that they are tight when before you put it back in. Ive been down that road.. looks good put the dash back together, hit a pot hole and of the bulbs come loose lol..
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kerr
Its not a hard job, its just anoying. If you havent done it yet, do one bulb at a time. then double check that they are tight when before you put it back in. Ive been down that road.. looks good put the dash back together, hit a pot hole and of the bulbs come loose lol..
Oh WOW So we don't weld the new bulbs in??????????????? SUPERGLUE?
This is a once in MY lifetime job. The next owner can worry how to get them out right????????????
Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

yeah, those little f%$#ers like to pull out, usually just after you've reattached the oil line and snugged everything back up.

Definitely test it out to confirm bulb function before sliding it back together.

Job is twice as much a PITA when you are putting in a new dash wiring harness, which isn't yet bent into the ideal shape . . .

Last edited by ctjackster; 09-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:09 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Taking Jacks comment one step further....bench test each bulb to ensure it works before even getting under the dash.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Taking Jacks comment one step further....bench test each bulb to ensure it works before even getting under the dash.
points well taken...............thank you all....................now where's my stash of valium?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:21 PM
64con
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found removing the seat made the job much easier on the back
Old 09-04-2013, 02:45 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I would agree that picture should help. The last time I had to put bulbs in a cluster is when I was 15 so I would not be much of a help. All I remember is that the very top bulbs are very difficult to get to while in place
There's the answer, step one, obtain one 15 year old......
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM
KSL '67 101234
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I changed out the instrument lights on my '67 roadster, twice! I bought a package from an online Corvette parts' dealer which were a fire waiting to happen. Read my thread 'Light switch rheostat smoking' KSL '67 101234.

What started out as a small job turned into "project creep!" However, I found a number of issues that I would not have found had I not removed the instrument cluster. The overheating that I diagnosed to the headlight rheostat and not wiring was caused by dimming the instrument lights. One would never expect that simply dimming instrument lights could lead to a fire.

In the end all turned out well, and I have no hesitations about taking the cluster out again. I found the second, or was it the third time within a month that I took out the cluster that removing the steering column, which is quite simple, was the key to an easier job.

But then again, I enjoy the challenge of working on my car, and I want to know what's been done under the hood as well as the dash. A previously owned vintage car can be a storehouse of quick fixes and problems. If you don't have a repair or an assembly manual - stop - Order one and wait before doing any more work.

Also, take pictures, lots of pictures of before and after every step of removing, the 'fix-it' work, and finally reinstalling/reassembly. It may seem like a waste of time until something goes wrong. The payoff comes when you're trying to recall 'now did the red wire go to that terminal' or the classic 'where does this part go?'

The assembly guide and your pictures will make for an easier and a more pleasurable effort. Six months after the job you can look back on your pictures with fond memories, much like looking at vacation pictures and remembering the good times! Good luck, and most of all take pleasure in working on your treasure.

Last edited by KSL '67 101234; 09-07-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument lights? How many & how to replace?

Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KSL '67 101234
I changed out the instrument lights on my '67 roadster, twice! I bought a package from a major an online Corvette parts' dealer which were a fire waiting to happen. Read my thread 'Light switch rheostat smoking' KSL '67 101234.

What started out as a small job turned into "project creep!" However, I found a number of issues that I would not have found had I not removed the instrument cluster. The overheating, soon to be a fire starter headlight rheostat, caused by dimming the instrument lights was scary and a nightmare.

In the end all turned out well, and I have no hesitations about taking the cluster out again. I found the second, or was it the third time within a month that I took out the cluster that removing the steering column, which is quite simple, was the key to an easier job.

But then again, I enjoy the challenge of working on my car, and I want to know what's been done under the hood as well as the dash. A previously owned vintage car can be a storehouse of quick fixes and problems. If you don't have a repair or an assembly manual - stop - Order one and wait before doing any more work.

Also, take pictures, lots of pictures of before and after every step of removing, the 'fix-it' work, and finally reinstalling/reassembly. It may seem like a waste of time until something goes wrong. The payoff comes when you're trying to recall 'now did the red wire go to that terminal' or the classic 'where does this part go?'

The assembly guide and your pictures will make for an easier and a more pleasurable effort. Six months after the job you can look back on your pictures with fond memories, much like looking at vacation pictures and remembering the good times! Good luck, and most of all take pleasure in working on your treasure.
Thank you for the posting........and you are right. I have at times taken on projects that seem difficult, but you "think" that your tenacity will see you through. How many times have I been stopped by finding things I didn't plan on? Wires being here and there just to make things work, but not work properly. Sometimes just the amount of time and absence from the project and you return to find you've forgotten how things really go. When I started this post, changing a light bulb seems so simple, a caveman can do it. But I realize that there is a whole lot more to it. Steering column removal, seat removal, and maybe updating the gages which I didn't budget for, but if you're that far in to the cluster, is it best to do it then?

I can go from front to back thinking of projects for the car. Some I've done with good success, others, a bit more intimidating. As you said, things like an assembly manual, it's just a book and we hate to spend parts money on books, but what you pay for the manual, makes up in saved time, mistakes and frustrations in the end.

Thanks again for the post......I'm in no hurry to do it wrong, wanting to do it right and actually doing it right is a big difference I'm trying to assess my skills along with gathering knowledge so this task turns out to be one of fulfillment, not one of total discouragement.

Right now I'm basking in the joy of some recently completed projects that all turned out successful. Before I dive in to this one, I'm taking a moment of pause to gather what I need to do this. Then going in.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM
KSL '67 101234
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Changing the instrument lights is a whole lot easier with the steering wheel and column, and cluster removed. Plus, with all the wiring exposed you'll find it tempting to change the underdash wire harness. Afterall, its close to 50-years old and has heated up and cooled down thousands of times. That is the start of project creep, but once done, it's done!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:56 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Any have a picture of the light bulb holder for the ignition switch?
I am missing the screw and the rest of the holder
Attached Images  

Last edited by TheSaint; 09-07-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Instrument lights? How many & how to replace?