C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 Corvette Stolen in Pacific Grove

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

The law may or may not put a lot of effort into recovery.

They do have cameras on their cars that store license plate numbers of passing cars. Any flatbed or enclosed trailer on film about the time it was stolen should also be a target. Maybe you can ask to scan the tapes if they do not have a program to extract info.

Suggest ad directed towrd businesses and gas stations with cameras and a reward for film leading to arrest and recovery. Didn't the restaurant have a camera?

A draw for a restaurant would be televised parking for collector cars or general security area with the feed shown on the wall for all in the eatery to see, rather than just a slug pretending to watch between naps in a back room or action after a theft or assault.

There has got to be film.

Another ad asking anyone who ate there if they saw anything, as people come and go constantly.... that would be a good pool of witnesses to start with.

Sooo sad!!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:13 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss. I also hope they find the SOB.
If you can keep us up to date with the insurance claim dept dialogue and value assessment/arguments, it would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
I suggest you contact your State Police Agency and try to establish a contact point. Having someone in Law Enforcement on your side can only Help. As has been pointed out, be very aggressive in advertising your cars looks by lots of Postings. There are many Corvette Forums to spread the word. Al W.
I would also post to

Hot Rodders Bulletin Board
http://www.hotrodders.com/

The H.A.M.B.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Ken
Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Only a crook thief would think to pull this off under 'cover' of all the other Corvettes attending a fun weekend event. I'm in the Bay Area so another set of eyes will be on the lookout. I'm very sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pat...
Here is a Forum for stolen corvettes...(misery loves company) another place to list your car.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...len-corvettes/

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear about it! Low down theives...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Damn it!

I saw it there parked there as I passed by coming from my scenic coast drive that evening! I had already shot a picture of it at the track or I probably would have stopped for a picture! I saw a couple with two young kids and some Japanese girls and a guy looking at it, but no tow truck, or other. Sorry!

If I would have stopped for a second picture, I might have been there to see the crime! Don't know! Sorry!!!!!!

Here is a picture of it with the hard top to help!

Also my brain is trying to get around this one. I was driving all over the place and so I could take a lady friend in the future, I was looking at Bed and Breakfast places for next year and for Restaurants for the future etc. and had pulled into a few places and got some rates etc.. Thus I would suggest describing where it was parked, what B&B color of the building, street locations etc.. My brain is so fogged with the entire weekend, I wish I had something for you. I just remember seeing it and thinking for a """""""""split second""""""""" (that was a car I photographed back at the track and kept on going), because of the distinct Halibrands! And I can't actually remember where precisely it was when I saw it again, but I believe it was in the lot!!!!! If I had something for you, or something comes back to me, I will definitely contact you.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 08-19-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Man that is a bummer especially on a car you have had for so long!! As mentioned, I think there is a strong likelyhood someone saw this happening but maybe did not realize it was being stolen at the time. Video camera's are everywhere these days, and maybe something was caught on a recording that could give you a lead. Don't wait too long, some places don't save those tapes.

It's a shame, but I don't leave my cars unattended anywhere these days because of this exact thing.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should post this in the other forums too, or ask a mod to post a sticky. Good luck finding your car.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I saw it there parked there as I passed by coming from my scenic coast drive that evening! I had already shot a picture of it at the track or I probably would have stopped for a picture! I saw a couple with two young kids and some Japanese girls and a guy looking at it, but no tow truck, or other. Sorry!

If I would have stopped for a second picture, I might have been there to see the crime! Don't know! Sorry!!!!!!

Here is a picture of it with the hard top to help!
Derek...please give me a call ASAP.

(916) 719-9442 Pat
Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Hi,

I just edited the thread and reposted. I was still trying to get my head around this one is what I wrote above.

I was all over the place while there. I drove thru Pacific Grove at least 5 or 6 times and along the coast about 3 times. I just can't remember precisely because it was only about a split second recognition of the car. I know I don't have anything in the way of a lead for the investigation.

Post up more detail!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
stafftech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer, I worry about this kind of crap happening all the time. I hope you find it and in the same condition it was in. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Default More Detail

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I just edited the thread and reposted. I was still trying to get my head around this one is what I wrote above.

I was all over the place while there. I drove thru Pacific Grove at least 5 or 6 times and along the coast about 3 times. I just can't remember precisely because it was only about a split second recognition of the car. I know I don't have anything in the way of a lead for the investigation.

Post up more detail!
Derek,

The car was at the corner of Central and 7th. It was completely obscured from the main street and just about 10-15% visible from the side (7th) Street.

The car had to be pushed from the driveway and I even had to jockey it in to work around parked cars.

There were several guests at the Inn and many were having dinner less than 20' away. Two of the individuals were law enforcement, but unfortunately nobody observed nor heard anything.

Once the car was pushed out it was all downhill to the ocean front street.

That is why I would like to speak with you. If you definitely observed the car along the street, at or near the bottom of 7th Av, then that would make perfect sense. If that is the case, I will drive back to PG and knock on doors at the nearby residence.

I have already walked several blocks around the Inn with attempts to find security cameras or other items that may be of help. The problem is...it's Pacific Grove! Should be one of the safest places on the planet, so nobody has any type of surveillance systems.

Please call if you can.

Thanks, Pat
Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

With all the city or private security cameras in the area someone MUST have video of the theft. I would canvass all of the surrounding businesses. The cops won't bother to do that.

I'd even check the towing facilities in the town.....or private tow truck listings maybe?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I talked to Pat, I have no leads unfortunately!

This bed and breakfast is between the coast rode to the west of the Aquarium and between Lighthouse Ave where the Friday car rally was. The coast rode (Ocean) had road construction going on all weekend and for once the rode was one way only going west. Thus coming east back toward the aquarium, you had to turn up one of those streets 7th, 8th, etc. to continue east to get back to Cannery Row etc.. I remember looking at bed and breakfasts and the one there on 7th and Central was one I remember because it was off the beaten path and would probably be less expensive, but close to the coast. I remember looking for parking and u-turned there in a driveway which is probably when I seen the car. With so many cars there, I can't precisely say when I saw it a second time.

Unfortunately, no lead! But maybe someone else was traveling through this area and this will help them. I recommended that Pat post up on the C5 and C6 forums because their were a whole lot more of those guys up there this last weekend.

Here are four views- the B&B on the corner looking at the Southwest corner of 7th and Central. The second shot up the street on 7th down to the coast but above the B&B, the shot on the intersection of 7th and Central looking down to the water, and lastly a shot of that area of the coastline on Ocean! If it jogs and memories.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 08-19-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM
StormBringer
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I will ask my friends who patrol around the SD/MXN border to keep a eye out for it.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Still seems unbelievable to me.

Aside from my anger, I'm just feeling pretty low right now....

Pat
Pat,

I understand your disbelief and your anger completely. Probably better than anyone else on CF.

On November 14, 1983 my '63 coupe was stolen from the K-Mart parking lot in West Columbia SC.

It took a long time for that loss to really sink in.

To everyone else, that was '63 # 07587. If you see or hear of it, ask it to phone home. I still miss it.

Pat, I genuinely hope you get your '62 back.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 Corvette Stolen in Pacific Grove

Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM
18thVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw your beautiful car at the show, sorry to hear of the theft, hope you get it back.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by OC-1
The law may or may not put a lot of effort into recovery.
The OP should expect the same amount of effort from law enforcement as they would show for a reported jaywalker or shoplifter. Seriously, unless it's a violent crime, the priority level is ZERO. They figure "let the insurance co.'s figure it out".
Any effort to solve this will be done by the owner, not a LEO.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I wonder what your response would be if you posted a Corvette wanted ad on Craig's list (specific to the year of your car)?

Quick Reply: 1962 Corvette Stolen in Pacific Grove