C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Livin's 57 Corvette Restoration, FULL CIRCLE.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Livin's 57 Corvette Restoration, FULL CIRCLE.......

Hi Everyone,

Well, 8 years later..... This "monkey is off my back"

I have never been more happy to see a car go! Absolutely nothing wrong with the car, just had my money tied up in it for too long, and it just took too long to restore. It was just simply the perfect time for us to part ways.

Everyone told me that I would lose money doing a frame off, extensive nut and bolt resto. I didn't believe it.

As my user name states "livin" live n learn!!!! I clearly have been doin some learning!!!!

Well, I just wanted to share with you all. As many of you watched me pull the car apart online 8 years ago. So, at very least I have now come full circle... There is one super fine example of a 57 Corvette back on the road, and that makes me happy enough to suck up the loss... At the end of the day, I restored this Corvette for the love of the car, and to make good on a promise to my Gramps! RIP

Since I started the restoration, I have been blessed with a 21 month Corvette lovin little boy and I still have my awesome, wife that I have been with for 19 years. Cashing out gave me the opportunity to purchase our new home and have it paid for at the time of sale! The money lost on the car was made up for by interest I do not have to pay for financing my home! I may be Corvette-less, but I am happy to start this new chapter of my life!

Cheers,
Livin (aka Jacob)

Last edited by livin; 08-17-2013 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (04-27-2020)
Old 08-17-2013, 02:19 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by livin
With a 21 month Corvette lovin little boy, and my awesome wife, that I have been with for 19 years ..........
IMHO this trumps evrything.

Congratulations on starting a new phase of your life.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Last 62
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are very smart. A paid for house makes life alot better in many ways.

To ease you pain of not having an old corvette to work on, may I suggest you get an affordable c-5 now that you actually have some roads to drive on. I got one a couple of years age and I really enjoy it.

Also, my plan is to sell my car in the next couple of months. I will retire next spring and the $ will be nice addition to those coffee cans I buried in the back yard.

Jim
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 PM
livin
Drifting

Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So where's the picture of the rear end driving away from you for the last time. Still a little sad right?
Tom
Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

as long as you have your wife, child and a clear house, you are in heaven. there will always
be time for a vette. enjoy your family first. best of luck jim
Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats on some finacial freedom!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

That's tough now, but you have lots of livin left.

Congrats!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

It's all about priorities.

Smart choices,...all the way around.

Been messin' w/this junk since the sixties, still have one, lookin' for another. Once the bug bites,...you're a gonner...

Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 PM
livin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rokndad
So where's the picture of the rear end driving away from you for the last time. Still a little sad right?
Tom
me driving for the last time...

and it up on the trailer just as it looked driving off...

SAD, yep a little... but those tears dry up every time I think about the fact that I just bought an awesome home in a great neighborhood in a brand new place and I am about to start fresh at 40 with my wife, baby and no Mortgage in my new home on a new island (to me) bery close to a new restaurant I am about to be opening up, and a large ferry boat that will take me directly to down town Seattle in about 35 minutes, vs. the 3 to 5 hour commute from where I used to be.

I have had 18 corvettes since I was 16, and I totally have "the kid" hooked on them. I can't imagine there won't be more Corvettes in our lives... I just might be pimpin in a C-4 while I save up a little money.

....of course knowing me... that C-4 will be in the form of suspension pieces under a 61 Resto-Mod I have been really wanting to do for years!

Cheers,
Jacob

P.S. Tom, I hope you are having a good day. You and your family our in our prayers! I really respect how you seem to be soldiering on, and with such an amazing attitude!

Last edited by livin; 08-18-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:49 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by livin

Everyone told me that I would lose money doing a frame off, extensive nut and bolt resto. I didn't believe it.

Livin (aka Jacob)
It depends on how much work you do yourself and how much you pay others the do. I've done several and never lost a dime but I do everything myself. The only work I send out is chrome plating. I don't make a ton of money on most of them but to me, it's a hobby and I enjoy working on them.
Good luck on your new restaurant.

Jim
Old 08-18-2013, 05:32 PM
livin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1snake
It depends on how much work you do yourself and how much you pay others the do. I've done several and never lost a dime but I do everything myself. The only work I send out is chrome plating. I don't make a ton of money on most of them but to me, it's a hobby and I enjoy working on them.
Good luck on your new restaurant.

Jim
Thanks!

Yes you are correct. I did do all the disassembly, bagged, tagged and boxed all the parts and sent them out all over the country for restoration. I had planned on doing the entire thing, but life got in the way and I did what I did and hired the best people I could find to put it together. In hindsight it is without question better to do as much yourself as you can.

Puget Sound? We are neighbors!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Livin,
What a beautiful car. And I love that color combo. Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks also for the kind words and your offer of prayers for combatting this horrible disease. I'm not giving up fighting but have to tell you somedays you get pretty overwhelmed and wonder when it's all going to end. Our car community is a big source of support for me and I truly appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge this issue.
And best wishes on your new business adventure with the restaurant. That's not an easy business to be in but I'm pretty sure you have the drive to get it done right if your car is any indication of your appreciation for excellence.

Tom
Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Benduf
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am planning to buy your restored 57 E57S101851 which is still in the market long time after you sold it.
In your documentation you mentioned that you had the history back to 1988. Do you still have this?
I need a document that proves it had long time ago the miles you mentioned in your blog. that is, more than it has now.
And of course would love to have the historical documentation.

Ben
Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Benduf
Hi, I am planning to buy your restored 57 E57S101851 which is still in the market long time after you sold it.
In your documentation you mentioned that you had the history back to 1988. Do you still have this?
I need a document that proves it had long time ago the miles you mentioned in your blog. that is, more than it has now.
And of course would love to have the historical documentation.

Ben
This person (Livin) has not logged onto the forum in 6 months, and this thread has been inactive for over 2 years.

Try sending Livin a Private Message.

Get notified of new replies

To Livin's 57 Corvette Restoration, FULL CIRCLE.......

Quick Reply: Livin's 57 Corvette Restoration, FULL CIRCLE.......