C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buying a C1

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:20 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.contes.com/en/ I bought my '59 from them 13 years ago. They have a solid reputation and are close to you in Vineland. N.J. Save the Wave
Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 579 Likes on 312 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Ray, sent you an email.

John F
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM
RAO-3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many good points made here; giving me a lot to think about and to look at. I'll try to address some of the points made here.

I've already started to look at the car shows - feel like a kid in a candy store.

I can see from many of the comments that I have a lot to learn and quite a bit of researching to do.

I also feel that I would be more comfortable having someone else also look at the car, a person that knows the 'details' of what to look for to be sure I am getting what the person represents the car to be. I also hadn't really given as much thought to the documentation as I should, and would like the opinion of someone else that can flush out the legit from the trash.

Another question I had wondered about - Am I better off buying from a dealer than an individual? I realize a dealer would charge more.

I am mechanically inclined, but don't want to spend my time restoring the car - I want to have it to drive on weekends, but will take care of the repairs myself as needed. Right now I'm leaning towards a car that has been restored, but would like to see the documentation/paperwork as much as possible on it, so I guess I fall somewhere between the first and second paragraph in Zoomin's post.

I've used Interstate Lines to ship my cars in the past, with success, so would likely use them again. I understand the warnings to stay away from the fly-by-night operators as I don't want to be the author of a horror story.

While I do like the look of the '57 and am partial to that, I have currently been looking more towards the later years. I'm right at 6' tall. I do want to look a bit more before locking myself into a specific year.

Hoping to make it to Carlisle to look more, but it may not be in the cards this year due to other commitments.

Thanks for all the guidance, keep the suggestions coming!

Ray
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Consider networking in the NCRS circles, too. Lots of useful info and advice, in your search now and afterwards when you need help (parts, repairs, etc). Membership is cheap. And I regularly see C1-C4 Corvettes offered for sale by NCRS members.

http://www.ncrs.org/

The central NJ Chapter has meet planned soon. It's a good chance to see some classic Corvettes and meet some local NJ people with a passion for classic Corvettes who could be helpful.

ANNUAL CNJ CHAPTER MEET
September 8, 2013
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
462 Cherry Lane
Mendham, NJ
For more information contact Dave Mognoni 201-843-5756

http://www.cnjncrs.org/

Good luck!

Cheers,
JB
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,133 Likes on 555 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

[QUOTE=RAO-3;1584667366
While I do like the look of the '57 and am partial to that, I have currently been looking more towards the later years. I'm right at 6' tall. I do want to look a bit more before locking myself into a specific year.
Ray[/QUOTE]

Since you live in Central Jersey if you want to sit and drive a 61 let me know.
I am right over the Outerbridge Crossing, 440 North.
Joe
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by plaidside
Joe
Highly recommended!
Not only is Joe a font of knowledge; you should really get some windshield time in a C1 before committing to a purchase.
I have done this for a few potential buyers and some have changed their mind. Too tall, too uncomfortable, too hard to steer; you-name-it !
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
RAO-3
Racer

Joe

I would love to take you up on this offer! So nice of you to do so. I'll send you a pm with my cell number.

Ray
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
rob1961
Advanced

I think once you drive one your going to love it. make sure the top is down!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by rob1961
A friend owns a red '60. It makes any woman look 3x better. Sorry, no pics. Use your imagination.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 AM
RAO-3
Racer

Originally Posted by rob1961

I'm going to call Joe today to set something up.

Ray
Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 AM
RAO-3
Racer

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Consider networking in the NCRS circles, too. Lots of useful info and advice, in your search now and afterwards when you need help (parts, repairs, etc). Membership is cheap. And I regularly see C1-C4 Corvettes offered for sale by NCRS members.

http://www.ncrs.org/

The central NJ Chapter has meet planned soon. It's a good chance to see some classic Corvettes and meet some local NJ people with a passion for classic Corvettes who could be helpful.

ANNUAL CNJ CHAPTER MEET
September 8, 2013
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
462 Cherry Lane
Mendham, NJ
For more information contact Dave Mognoni 201-843-5756

http://www.cnjncrs.org/

Good luck!

Cheers,
JB

I did join the national and will make contact with Dave to see about going to the meet in September. Thanks for the information.

Ray
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM
RAO-3
Racer

Originally Posted by LabRat
http://www.contes.com/en/ I bought my '59 from them 13 years ago. They have a solid reputation and are close to you in Vineland. N.J. Save the Wave
I was looking on Conte's site and see they have two 1960 corvettes for sale and plan to go see this this weekend if they are still there. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on either of these two cars?

(not sure if I am allowed to provide a link to the site or the cars)

Ray
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,639 Likes on 669 Posts

I just bought one online and although I haven't received it yet, I am confident that I will be satisfied.

It looks much better in the pictures than one that I have been looking for, and has some goodies that I was not expecting to find.

I examined the title and the drivers licence of the owner, and spoke to him in person. I also viewed his home on google and found a well cared for home.

I am also capable of fixing anything wrong with the car and in fact, I bought it to use as a project to work on, so I am comfortable with the deal.

I asked around about a shipper and came up with a dealer that receives a lot of cars from a carrier that he uses a lot. The price was right @ $700 for 1100 miles and the timing was good.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,133 Likes on 555 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by RAO-3
I'm going to call Joe today to set something up.
Ray
Ray,
I am back from my cruise so any time you want to come over.
Joe
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Check out my article on shippers. Make sure you get a copy of the insurance policy from the insurance company - not the trucking company. Also, make sure it's for cargo - not just liability.

Richard Newton
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 AM
RAO-3
Racer

Ray,
I am back from my cruise so any time you want to come over.
Joe
Hey Joe,

Hope it was a good one, the weather must have been great! I'll give you a call, most likely over the weekend.

Ray
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

You might also consider purchasing from a Forum member.
Lots of really nice cars continually show up.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C1

Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 AM
RAO-3
Racer

Originally Posted by Chuck72
You might also consider purchasing from a Forum member.
Lots of really nice cars continually show up.
Thank you for the suggestion; I've reached out to some already and of course am open to other leads and suggestions.

Ray
Old 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Tanner97
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Before I knew anything I paid an inspector to examine a '61 in Ft. Lauderdale and I passed on the car based on his recommendation. Cost a few hundred to avoid losing thousands - a bargain. Did the same thing on a first generation Z-28 Camaro that turned out to be a fake. Best money you can spend.

Anyway - frame rust on C1s is the kiss of death; particularly the kick up area (see picture); wiring can be dangerous but completely replaced for a thousand bucks or so. Body repairs can be rectified reasonably unless they are way too egregious (e.g. crooked front clip, etc.)
Frankie,

I did a search on frames and found this post and photo which you submitted some time ago. My recently purchased 59 has a rust hole ( on the bottom) in almost the exact spot as the photo. After pounding with a hammer it is approximately the size of a quarter or a bit smaller. I called Vette Products of Michigan and they do have a 6' frame section for this repair. Do you know of anyone who has done this repair? I would really like to see some photo's if possible.

I would like to add this: I found the weak spot after noticing the passenger door was rubbing when you open and closed the door. I
then placed a floor jack under the frame. When I raised the jack the door now closes perfectly.

My options are:
Weld in frame section from Vette Products $ 795 ++
New frame from Vette Products $ 4800.00 +
Used rolling chassis $5-7,000 ( ebay ect)
Art Morisson, Corvette Correction, ect $14,000 +

At this point I am just weighing my options. I feel I got a real good price on the car and have room budget wise.

Thanks.

I addressed the reply to Frankie but I would like thoughts, recommendations from all.

Skip
( Tanner97)
Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,085 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Tanner97
Frankie,

I did a search on frames and found this post and photo which you submitted some time ago. My recently purchased 59 has a rust hole ( on the bottom) in almost the exact spot as the photo. After pounding with a hammer it is approximately the size of a quarter or a bit smaller. I called Vette Products of Michigan and they do have a 6' frame section for this repair. Do you know of anyone who has done this repair? I would really like to see some photo's if possible.

I would like to add this: I found the weak spot after noticing the passenger door was rubbing when you open and closed the door. I
then placed a floor jack under the frame. When I raised the jack the door now closes perfectly.

My options are:
Weld in frame section from Vette Products $ 795 ++
New frame from Vette Products $ 4800.00 +
Used rolling chassis $5-7,000 ( ebay ect)
Art Morisson, Corvette Correction, ect $14,000 +

At this point I am just weighing my options. I feel I got a real good price on the car and have room budget wise.

Thanks.

I addressed the reply to Frankie but I would like thoughts, recommendations from all.

Skip
( Tanner97)
I think you really need to assess what you're really dealing with.

If your issue is bad enough to cause door closure problems then I think its more widespread than the small hole that you see - frames often rust from the inside out. Might want to poke around and check things out with one of those goosneck inspection cameras from Harbor Freight (about $70).

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-16-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying a C1