C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Please verify my understanding on short shifter position

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Please verify my understanding on short shifter position

I've read some threads and I just want to make sure I understand that there is or was a way to change the connection on the shifting rods to different holes on the normal C2 GM shifter.

I have a 64 so I THINK I do NOT have that option from what I have read. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Next thought, if I'm stuck with the long throw shift pattern, it doesn't matter if I went with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter over the stock GM, the throws will be the same CORRECT?

I was hoping to find that "SNICK SNICK" feel and sound I enjoyed as I rowed through my Hurst shifter in my 69 Olds 442. It's just an astethics wish for me. I don't want to go through a lot of engineering changes to get it. If it's possible, then cool. If not, then let the dream or goal die.

I just got this 64 and wanted to say thanks for all the inputs offered by the members. Sometimes you just need to ask even after an exhausting search leaves one scratching their thinly haired head.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Look at the linkage. If it has another set of holes you can change to short shift. I know later C-2'S do.Aftermarket shifters come with linkage.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Do you have any way to drive one with a Hurst shifter before you change? I had a Hurst in one of my earlier 66 cars and it was not something liked. It took a lot of pressure to clear far enough left to engage reverse. I like the stock feel and the reverse lockout is much easier to operate. If possible you should drive one first. You can get the stock looking shifter handle for the Hurst which keeps the original look if you like. The Hurst was quieter, but I have side pipes and it didn't cause me any problems if the Muncie shifter buzzes a little at certain rpm's. As far as the shorter throw with the stock shifter, as stated there are two sets of holes in the levers on the trans, the ones closest to the attachment point of the levers to the transmission are the short throw. I don't believe the 64 had that option, but I recall JohnZ making a post on the changeover date and he could probably tell you if you could change the levers to the new style and adjust the linkage for the short throw.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
I've read some threads and I just want to make sure I understand that there is or was a way to change the connection on the shifting rods to different holes on the normal C2 GM shifter.

I have a 64 so I THINK I do NOT have that option from what I have read. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If you have the owners manual, look there. For my 66 there is mention of the option.

Of course that only tells you what was originally there...

Harry

Last edited by 66since71; 08-12-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Easiest, if you can get under it... Look for second set of hols on shift levers on transmission
Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 PM
TPIC427
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a late 64 and it does not have 2 holes on the shifter levers, but I can not be certain that it is the original shifter
Old 08-12-2013, 02:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The second set of holes in the transmission levers that provided the ability to convert to the "short-travel" shift pattern didn't start until 1965.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for all the posts....my 64 is a numbers matching tranny so no extra holes. No I have not driven a C2 with a Hurst shifter. I didn't think it would be that hard to shift. I'll keep my GM manual shifter and live with it.
Thanks again.......all the help I receive is immeasurable in appreciation.......AZ

Get notified of new replies

To Please verify my understanding on short shifter position

Quick Reply: Please verify my understanding on short shifter position