C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Watchout what you download

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Wow - I do this stuff for a living and wouldn't give some of the advice provided here. I think the OP needs to let the computer fella do his thing and then set her up with proper safeguards. Its a jungle out there...
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
62gal
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I got it

Install malware, reboot system, install microsoft, enable system restores, dont' uninstall important programs, UBNTU, it's free, easy to install, turn on computuer but I only have 10 seconds to decide, keep windows on drive C, files on drive D, comp on E, wipe C, D and E ok, save all data in secondary programs, download zipper file, it does not work, use another computer, don't boot to much, install virus program, scan with restore, disabled, MS no good use ANG.

Sorry guys, just having a little fun. I will be calling the computer man and I really do appreciate your help but I'm lost..
Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Wow - I do this stuff for a living and wouldn't give some of the advice provided here. I think the OP needs to let the computer fella do his thing and then set her up with proper safeguards. Its a jungle out there...
Or any neighborhood 13 year old.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,486 Likes on 907 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Gee, just like going to a corvette forum board and asking how to cure an overheating problem/starting problem/run on problem/ cracks in the paint problem/NCRS deducted points on my doorjamb paint problem.

"My car is overheating, what should I do? "?

A) Put Seafoam in, it cures everything.

B) Make sure your vacuum advance is on manifold vacuum.

C) Paint your valve covers and check your fan belt tension.

D) Put Marvel Mystery oil in, it cures everything else.

F) Install a Flexlite fan, the factory fans are junk.

G) Install a Flexlite fan AND SPAL electric fan, the factory cooling system is junk

H) (way down on the list), read the service manual, and probably be prepared to replace the 40 YO radiator)

WYSIWYG. Unless you are a professional in the industry that can sort the wheat from the chaff, you get all sorts of info, that may be useless, useful, or dangerous. :0

Doug
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 62gal
Install malware, reboot system, install microsoft, enable system restores, dont' uninstall important programs, UBNTU, it's free, easy to install, turn on computuer but I only have 10 seconds to decide, keep windows on drive C, files on drive D, comp on E, wipe C, D and E ok, save all data in secondary programs, download zipper file, it does not work, use another computer, don't boot to much, install virus program, scan with restore, disabled, MS no good use ANG.

Sorry guys, just having a little fun. I will be calling the computer man and I really do appreciate your help but I'm lost..
You forget editing the internal Window's registry - the kiss of death if you make the slightest mistake !

Setting up a computer protection scheme is almost like the "what oil is best" threads on here. Your computer guy (or gal) will have his own preferences which you should prob adopt if you will use that person for support in the future. I would invest a hundred bucks or so into an external hard drive and some free backup software - some products have made it so simple now its a sin not to use it regularly.

Over the years I had gone from total paranoia and multiple defenses to a very simple scheme using two products (both available in free versions) that have not let me down for general use. Never been hacked or had other than the usual spyware that was automatically eliminated by the products.

My business environment and internal LAN/WAN are locked down with obscene levels of security and system logging that I won't go into here of course

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-12-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM
davidf59
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree Frankie. I'm in the business as well. You have to be VERY careful when you're trying to get rid of a virus. If you're not careful you can make matters worse.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM
TheFinn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

I have a foolproof way of preventing infections. Here it is. I store all my important files on a separate hard drive with no operating system. I then use the main system as everyone else does. As soon as my system starts to act infected. I disconnect the hard drive with all my important files, unplug the laptop or desktop, take it out to the garage. This is the important part.

I then take a small sledge hammer and bash the crap out of the computer and buy another one
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Uh...not foolproof if the hard drive is connected to the main system....existence of an OS is immaterial if this is the case. If the hard drive is disconnected that's called an 'air gap' scheme and a legitimate security protocol.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You guys seem to think that a fix requires some guru performing magic at assembly level.

This no longer is the 90s, really wasn't kidding about the 13 year old.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Right - that is why every major company and gov't entity in the world pays megabucks to run IT help desks.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Right - that is why every major company and gov't entity in the world pays megabucks to run IT help desks.
That's only cause child labour is illegal.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I assure you that no matter how much our gov't spends on IT people, they aren't hiring the best and brightest.

-recent government employee
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I retired as a Senior Executive after working my way all the way up from a blue collar gov't job in an airplane hanger. I know all about it...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't condemn every IT person in a government job.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

My Vette takes me back in time to 1963. This thread takes me back to 1990.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Hired

Originally Posted by Godholio
I assure you that no matter how much our gov't spends on IT people, they aren't hiring the best and brightest.

-recent government employee
They hired William Snowden

Get notified of new replies

To Watchout what you download

Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Wow has this thing gone off the rails...anyway I was a gov't IT 'puke' for decades. Got launched off aircraft carrier decks, helicoptered out to ships at sea, did night ops training with the Marine Corps, and, bolted together F-14/A-6 avionics in a hot nasty hanger. As a CIVILIAN.

Not all gov't folks ride desks...
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

This thread got me thinking. I have a rental house in which I had a plumbing problem this past weekend that I had to fix. I'm a mechanic by trade but I usually can fix anything on a home from carpentry to electrical to plumbing. My young Asian tenant asks me "is there anything you can't fix"? I tell him "my PC". No problem "I can fix that for you". Some things are just better left to a professional.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow has this thing gone off the rails...anyway I was a gov't IT 'puke' for decades. Got launched off aircraft carrier decks, helicoptered out to ships at sea, did night ops training with the Marine Corps, and, bolted together F-14/A-6 avionics in a hot nasty hanger. As a CIVILIAN.

Not all gov't folks ride desks...
Nice Frankie. I'm summarily impressed. Assuming you've now hung them up and are a full time tinkerer like me. 38 years in the Govt. was enough.
Tom

Quick Reply: Watchout what you download