C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

better choice: power drum or non power disc/drum

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Default better choice: power drum or non power disc/drum

I have a 1964 with drums. I did a search on how to install front disc brake conversion. I didn't find the HOW TO, but I saw someone had posted power drums brakes are a better choice.

I have the disc brakes to convert but if the power drum would be a better choice, then maybe I need to go in that direction.

Sorry if this is an old topic, I just got my 64 and I do use the search but many times it takes me to threads that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

Thanks............AZ
Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

How much have you driven your car since you bought it? Are you unhappy with the drums because of safety issues?

If you haven't driven it much then drive it a while beforeyou change it over to discs

My car ('64) has power drums, and I had a Chevelle with power drums back in the day and it was fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,024 Likes on 4,827 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Drive it for a month or two and see how much you like or dislike before going and throwing a bunch of parts at it. You might be surprised
Old 08-04-2013, 10:05 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
How much have you driven your car since you bought it? Are you unhappy with the drums because of safety issues?

If you haven't driven it much then drive it a while beforeyou change it over to discs

My car ('64) has power drums, and I had a Chevelle with power drums back in the day and it was fine.
Hey Grease Monkey....I used to live in Carlisle.....out off Spring Rd on Partridge Circle..........small world..........

The disc brakes were part of the purchase package. I have driven 2 C2s both with just regular drums and I would like a little more feeling of security with either power drums OR install the disc.

I know when driving the C2 I keep a safe following distance and look far ahead. I drove professionally for a delivery company and had over 25 years to my credit. So I use the skills I learned but it's always the unexpected dog running out, a kid on a bike, or an unattentive driver that can make you use your skills and I'd like to just upgrade the tools of the car to give us all a better chance at not having a horror story to deal with.

I sure miss Carlisle.........and trees and water and fall and spring and even snow.......when you're retired, snow becomes a beautiful thing.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
Hey Grease Monkey....I used to live in Carlisle.....out off Spring Rd on Partridge Circle..........small world..........

The disc brakes were part of the purchase package. I have driven 2 C2s both with just regular drums and I would like a little more feeling of security with either power drums OR install the disc.

I know when driving the C2 I keep a safe following distance and look far ahead. I drove professionally for a delivery company and had over 25 years to my credit. So I use the skills I learned but it's always the unexpected dog running out, a kid on a bike, or an unattentive driver that can make you use your skills and I'd like to just upgrade the tools of the car to give us all a better chance at not having a horror story to deal with.

I sure miss Carlisle.........and trees and water and fall and spring and even snow.......when you're retired, snow becomes a beautiful thing.
I'll sell you my house if you want to come back

My Chevelle was a TON heavier than my Corvette and I never ever had a problem with drum brakes. Christ I used to street race in State College and the car would stop when I needed it to stop.

Drums get a beating as being inferior. I am not chaning them on my '64 because I think to me they feel better. But I do have power. As I stop and think my Chevelle have power steering but manual brakes...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Drive it for a month or two and see how much you like or dislike before going and throwing a bunch of parts at it. You might be surprised
Wow this is like old home week.........I used to drive to New Oxford to the Ryder truck repair facility............maybe this is an omen for me to come back to PA............at least PA members reply to threads....
Old 08-04-2013, 10:54 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,622 Likes on 3,033 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

My '63 roadster has power drum brakes. Stopping has never been an issue and I've never been tempted to convert it to disc brakes.

I could be persuaded to convert it to a dual circuit master cylinder, but that's a different issue entirely.

Jim
Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
My '63 roadster has power drum brakes. Stopping has never been an issue and I've never been tempted to convert it to disc brakes.

I could be persuaded to convert it to a dual circuit master cylinder, but that's a different issue entirely.

Jim
Thanks Jim.......so far it seems people are happy with power drums.....i thought disc/drum was my only option on a manual drum brake system
Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 443 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
Thanks Jim.......so far it seems people are happy with power drums.....i thought disc/drum was my only option on a manual drum brake system
Had both ,first 63 had regular drums whent with conversion disk better
stoping ,had to change master also,

2nd 63 has power drum I thought I had to change to disk
This 63 was ok stoped better or just as good as disk .,

Power drum is fine or better,no problems
Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rtruman
Had both ,first 63 had regular drums whent with conversion disk better
stoping ,had to change master also,

2nd 63 has power drum I thought I had to change to disk
This 63 was ok stoped better or just as good as disk .,

Power drum is fine or better,no problems
Thanks for the input.........the entire brake system, wheel cylinders and brake shoes ect was just rebuilt so I didn't want to remove good parts just to add disc. I think I'll just add the booster option and master cyclinder and keep the disc in the box or maybe sell them.

Get notified of new replies

To better choice: power drum or non power disc/drum

Quick Reply: better choice: power drum or non power disc/drum