C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Girlfriend asked for '63 SW for wedding gift

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
If you are looking for a 63 SWC see me at Carlisle booth space M 156-158 and you may want to come early I will get there mid afternoon on Wed. to setup and be there till Sunday late morning and then home I go, with or with out the car.

We will be at Carlisle. I'll look for you if I can remember or maybe find you
by accident. We have several missions while we are there.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

love is blind scotty so no matter what anyone says you won't hear==had a close friend that was a bach, had a beautiful big log house on a few acres and he married her, after two yrs she convinced him that he should put her name on the property title, year later she split and he had to sell the prop to give her her half--Name on title made difference the attorney said-------good luck-report back in five yrs, we'll be waiting to hear from you'
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Tell her you want a '67 427......

JIM
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Why would she want it in her name? Doesn't she trust you to give it to her for her own use regardless of the paperwork? Funny way to go about it if she does.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

She wants a C2 instead of jewelry? Jeez, you got ya one of these!!!!! What's to complain about?

Now if she just wanted a 66 or 67 427 convertible, that would be just about perfect. Looks like Jim and I are on the same page....lol
Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Avispa
She wants a C2 instead of jewelry? Jeez, you got ya one of these!!!!! What's to complain about?

Beach Boys "Car Crazy Cutie" - YouTube

The petite blonde Hurst girl next to Linda Vaughn in many of the pictures is the late June Cochran, Playmate of the Year in (I think) 1963. A cool year for curvy 'Vettes and vixens.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on finding the "right one"....

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 07-31-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Avispa,

Really enjoyed that Video!! Memories of beautiful girls and cars...they go together like ham and eggs!!!

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by biggd
My son just sold his 73 Z28 Camaro to by his girlfriend a diamond ring. He would have jumped for joy if she asked for a 63swc.

A 73 Z-28
Not even close to being on the same price range as a coupe. Besides if he has the cash to buy a 63 why would he sell his driver transportation?

Getting off the subject... we have to find this almost married guy a car for the new to be wife. Lets start at Pro Team !
Who would be thinking about wedding bells when your surrounded by millions of dollars in early GM plastic ?

Just say I Do & sign the transfer papers.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Round No. 2

I see your problem, "Great Expectations".

It's a lot cheaper for you to own 2 Corvettes, but right now your a little too young to qualify for the club.

I have mine, she gets to drive the other one that lets people know who takes care of her.

She has "A" SugAdad , "I" is the SugIdad....LOL

Your Lady needs to drive a 63SW or any C2 Coupe, and I don't mean a trip around the block. I mean in slow traffic around town. Try parallel parking and backing into a space. If it doesn't have power steering you'll be adding that too. She also need to drive it after dark and on some rough roads. Driving in rush hour traffic where she needs to change lanes is a good idea too. She just might change her mind.

Power brakes might be a good idea also, but with drum brakes it's a little less of a problem than disc brakes without power. She'll learn not to tailgate either way...LOL

Like I said "Great Expectations". Wanting one, may not live up to how she imagined driving one around might just be.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 07-31-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No car, home or anything of value should ever be in a person's name. All material things should be the ownership of a Trust. The Trust defines how the value is managed today and in the future.

No Vehicle should ever be registered to a home address in the event you get into an accident, you don't want the other party to know where you live. This is also true for Drivers Licenses and Insurance cards. Get a mailbox at a mail delivery outfit.

No vehicle should ever have its VIN displayed for Joe Public to read and research via many outfits that can reverse check ownership with the intentions to steal. Simply buy a dash topper to cover the VIN plate or have a dummy plate made that displays the last 6 to 8 digits depending on the age of the car and place that over the OEM VIN plate. Obviously this does not apply to old cars.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

How many of us would like to have a wife that say's
"let's buy that 63 SWC"? He is confident and lets face it, If they are motivated to get you, they will do it anyway.
I'm lucky, I married the girl that went drag racing with me in 1966.
LP
Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Scottys78
We will be at Carlisle. I'll look for you if I can remember or maybe find you
by accident. We have several missions while we are there.
Get there early if you even think you are interested in Mike's car. His white 340hp SWC got away from me a couple or three years back as a Scandinavian gent bought it 20 minutes before I could get there at an NCRS meet down here in Florida.

I got a free beer as a consolation prize...
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Frankie the car was off my trailer less then 2 hrs. when it sold. I had to ask the guy if he wanted me to start the car or if he would like to go for a ride in it. He replied "could we" I now see why he said that. After my trip to see me friends in Austria if you go to a car dealership or maybe a Harley it is almost impossible for you to get a sales person to help you. We were in the Harley shop and the Chevrolet dealership over 1/2 hr and we still had to ask someone to help us. The companies there feel as if they are doing you a BIG favor selling you a car or truck or motorcycle so if you want to buy something you come and ask them if you can buy it. I could not believe it. I told my friends that a company like that in the USA would not last long before he had to close his doors because people over here would not go to him to buy anything. Yea, I do not look for this 63 SWC to last very long at Carlisle. That is why I told Scott if he is interested in buying his future bride a 63 SWC for a wedding present and he was interested in mine he may want to come early to see it. M 156-158 and you also get a or clod water or cold soft drink. One per person except for Capevette who gets what he wants.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Scotty,

Your most economical search might include a car with the Powerglide and aftermarket AC. Factory AC cars are always premium prices. If it had PS and upgraded front power disk brakes with the dual master cylinder conversion it may be a safer drive for her as well.

My wife has 2 V12 Jags(those keep me busy) and always wanted a SWC. I found a car in Virginia in '08 so we inspected and brought it home. It was a running/driving car but needed serious detailing and partial restoration. We did that and put about 4k miles on it in a few years. Wifey wanted a new addition to the house so one of her cars had to go. I was hoping the 2 Jags would depart..... but nogo. We sold the SWC a few years ago to a forum member here.

The PB front disk conversion was amazing as it saved her & the car a few times when getting cutoff.

If you find a nice PG car you could always add the aftermarket AC, PS, & PB.

Good luck on your search.
Attached Images      
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Round No. 2

I see your problem, "Great Expectations".

It's a lot cheaper for you to own 2 Corvettes, but right now your a little too young to qualify for the club.

I have mine, she gets to drive the other one that lets people know who takes care of her.

She has "A" SugAdad , "I" is the SugIdad....LOL

Your Lady needs to drive a 63SW or any C2 Coupe, and I don't mean a trip around the block. I mean in slow traffic around town. Try parallel parking and backing into a space. If it doesn't have power steering you'll be adding that too. She also need to drive it after dark and on some rough roads. Driving in rush hour traffic where she needs to change lanes is a good idea too. She just might change her mind.

Power brakes might be a good idea also, but with drum brakes it's a little less of a problem than disc brakes without power. She'll learn not to tailgate either way...LOL

Like I said "Great Expectations". Wanting one, may not live up to how she imagined driving one around might just be.
Life's decisions...... cars, castles for homes, firearm collections, constant vacations or simply stacking gold bars. Each of us has a passion but most of the time it comes with age and good investments. Starting a marriage with toys requiring expensive parts and insurance may cause some financial / emotional stress. If she is insistent on a Corvette let her pick out a C-3 or 4. Less money and still good road cars. Save for the holy grail, they will always be available. There is more to life than looking back at two pieces of glass.

Poor House;
NONE of us are in your club. Two fine examples of classic machinery.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
And I think she has great taste in automobiles.

Back to the OP, powerglide cars are going to be cheaper and easier to find than AC cars, but finding one with air is going to ratchet the price right back up there. Find a good rust free unit and add the air.

Get notified of new replies

To Girlfriend asked for '63 SW for wedding gift

Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

buy her the car, never look back, and make sure you teach her how to do a proper burnout..........

the cynicism runs deep, doesn't it ?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 441 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Not to change the subject...

Today, is my wife's and I 21st anniversary. Luckily, she has not asked for a corvette yet. All she wants is me! I am a lucky man!

Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 441 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
buy her the car, never look back, and make sure you teach her how to do a proper burnout..........

the cynicism runs deep, doesn't it ?
Yeah, you do not want this to happen...

Quick Reply: Girlfriend asked for '63 SW for wedding gift