C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:14 AM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

Sorry, I am not up to speed on my car values.

Is a great, original condition SWC worth less?, the same? or more? than a great, original condition C1 ?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:58 AM
pullin-gs
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MCMLXI
Sorry, I am not up to speed on my car values.

Is a great, original condition SWC worth less?, the same? or more? than a great, original condition C1 ?

My 1960 Big Brakes (fuelie unit is gone) car is worth less than my 1963 300hp coupe.
Both cars are in about the same condition and have original drivetrain.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
I see 5 corvettes in that profile are all of them yours.
Yes at the time of that picture earlier this year, have since sold the Yellow and Blue 72s to fellow forum members .I am currently building another 69 Conv. Restomod.
Mark
Old 11-24-2013, 07:57 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Welcome from Delaware We think alike had first SWC white 4 speed for 16 years sold it after a doctor threw a bunch money at me.
bought new one ended up with Z06 had it for a while 1,400 miles traded it for a SWC and I wont make that mistake again.
it wasn't the same I like to tinker and improve things on the car as a hoppy .
show some pictures of your car like to see it .
Good question how many coups are there still out there .
They only made 8,000 ,its seems for years I have looked at ads
for them just to look and see them all the time .
I would say at least half .everyone's restoring them back.
I now have a silver power guild
How much rain water pours in the top of your left front door when it rains? Maybe it just wasn't shut when you took the picture?

I am glad '63 coupe sales have picked up. It was getting very old hearing about how great '67 BB's were.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:04 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I am glad '63 coupe sales have picked up. It was getting very old hearing about how great '67 BB's were.
ALL C2 owners are members of a small club in the Corvette world. The five years are like a rotating dessert bar. Each year offers its own advantages and delights, eventually getting its place in the sun.

(that's a peace sign, pilgrim!)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

How much rain water pours in the top of your left front door when it rains? Maybe it just wasn't shut when you took the picture?

On the plus side, the left REAR door doesn't leak any water at all.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

I took it back to body shop and had to adjust it again .I not real happy on that adjustment they are telling me its the same as it was when it was black and that silver shows lines more ,the rubber at the top is kind of tight he says it holding it out . I think they just want me outa there. Took a lot pictures before body shop work and my computer
died so it hard to compare .I asked the body did he remove any filler in those areas to widen the seams .He says no .I do have I picture but it hard to tell.
You are right for years the 67 big block was the deal .
Glad for the up swing for the 63 .its about time.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by pullin-gs
My 1960 Big Brakes (fuelie unit is gone) car is worth less than my 1963 300hp coupe.
Both cars are in about the same condition and have original drivetrain.
This is my friends 58 big brake car he expects to make a killing at Mecum got a bunch money in it already .
Attached Images      
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

It's not as though big blocks have disappeared. It's just that you have either very expensive versions (survivors, well known restored cars, rare colors, etc.) or cars that can be determined to be fakes (and all the fakes can be discovered with some investigation).
Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is truly one fantastic car. I can't imagine the hours spent ( as well as dollars ) on the final result. Here is my question. In a world of " could of been, would of been, and have been " how would a prospective buyer document this car as an original fuel car ? Between the tack changes, extra fire wall holes, and yes..... I have viewed aged documents backing the claim ( reproduction made to look old ) what can one believe? It is not unusual for complete fuel units to bring big money and seem to be readily available.
This car is obviously going to a collector or museum and will never be scrutinized based on its appearance. The corvette hobby is getting so lucrative for shops in this venue.
Hats off to the owner / builder for a dramatic example. Too bad he has to sell and not enjoy the final result.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 AM
pullin-gs
Pro

This is my friends 58 big brake car he expects to make a killing at Mecum got a bunch money in it already .
That's the problem with heavy-brakes 60...it takes big-money to restore one to like-original condition. Mine is worth more parted out.

Back to the topic at hand:
An equal-condition/optioned C1 will get much less money than the same-condition/optioned C2 any day of the week.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM
pullin-gs
Pro

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
That is truly one fantastic car. I can't imagine the hours spent ( as well as dollars ) on the final result. Here is my question. In a world of " could of been, would of been, and have been " how would a prospective buyer document this car as an original fuel car ?
How far back (pictures, owner history, history) is a big help.
I would have a hard time verifying mine I think.
Many (most?) surviving big-break cars got dinged up early on in their lives. Mine had front-damage done to 50 years ago...back then there was absolutely ZERO incentive to replace the components back to specs when regular, cheap, easy-to-find regular parts would bolt-up fine. Car does NOT have emblems. However, in 1998 I stumbled on bondo (the old pink stuff) filled FI emblem holes behind dash, it has the oval hole! Turns out it also has serial-number matching FI block (injection is long gone).
OK, now I'm really curious.
It has big-brakes also! The expensive brake components are pretty hard to mess up in a wreck, so they survived. Everything is there except for the shoes and rear drums.

But I'm not about to restore it....I'll end up spending more money than I could get back IMO.
PS: I've had the car 20 years, and paint is 30+ years old.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People with C1 and C2 NCRS top flight cars put them up since 2007. Now that prices are picking up these cars are coming out of storage. Both 63 and 67 model cars are a safe bet they will appreciate in the future. Stocks are over priced , bonds are in trouble with rising rates and CD's no way. Zero insured coupon bonds are only paying 3% for 5 years. If you have some money in cash and are retired where do you put it ? I'm not saying be total out of these investments . But pulling money out of bonds is smart @ this time .Some in floating rate bonds but for how long ? Just a lot going on for us retired folk. Buyer beware of BB corvettes cause paperwork is coming out of the woodwork. NCRS top flight status helps and originalty is every thing just do your homework. Look @ some of the SOLD prices @ Pro team Corvettes recently.

Last edited by 450hp mike9; 11-26-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM
1974purchase
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default prices on the 68 in 2017/2018

Originally Posted by sub006
Just wait 'til 2017! The BEST Corvette (in their owners' opinions) turns 50! Celebrate the C2s, won't see their likes again. Look for a huge run-up in '68 prices at last.
from a percentage increase in prices, i could see the 1968 doing well soon.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:18 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974purchase
from a percentage increase in prices, i could see the 1968 doing well soon.
According to at least two early intro Chevy ads in Fall 1967 car magazines, the '68 was the last Sting Ray.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullin-gs
How far back (pictures, owner history, history) is a big help.
I would have a hard time verifying mine I think.
Many (most?) surviving big-break cars got dinged up early on in their lives. Mine had front-damage done to 50 years ago...back then there was absolutely ZERO incentive to replace the components back to specs when regular, cheap, easy-to-find regular parts would bolt-up fine. Car does NOT have emblems. However, in 1998 I stumbled on bondo (the old pink stuff) filled FI emblem holes behind dash, it has the oval hole! Turns out it also has serial-number matching FI block (injection is long gone).
OK, now I'm really curious.
It has big-brakes also! The expensive brake components are pretty hard to mess up in a wreck, so they survived. Everything is there except for the shoes and rear drums.

But I'm not about to restore it....I'll end up spending more money than I could get back IMO.
PS: I've had the car 20 years, and paint is 30+ years old.

That is precisely my point. A hand full of these examples exist build for racing and bought by racers. When one looks at these restored cars even the bonding strips are edged for straightness, no indication of damage which points to a carefully driven street car. A well finished example will never be refuted being bought by a museum or well healed collector as they bought a dream and refuse to look at possible deception.
The car hobby and expensive " race, drag " examples are entering through the roof values making them prime candidates for clones.

Quick Reply: Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?