C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:11 PM
geopar
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc.

No,I didn't find this car-- talked to the new owner today because he's looking for some 392 heads . Here's the poop : red cp. , black std. int. , tele wheel , speed warning , shoulder belts , BIG TANK , ORIGINAL engine (correct broach markings and stampings) , 38,000 miles , built on july 10 , 1967 , serial # 22777 , has big round tube headders and side pipes (looks like it had been set up to road race), all big brake components intact , all suspension and other clues appear to be original L-88 . Vette had been sitting for several years . Was found in Conn. Anyone with info about the history of this vette , or any ideas about the authenticy , people to consult , etc. , please post here or e-mail me or phone @ 830 885 4020 . Thanks , Geo On another note , owner has a 351 4-bolt short block(never stamped) dated F176(june 17 , 1966) , 30 over .
Old 06-28-2002, 02:20 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (geopar)

This thread should get quite interesting.....

Old 06-28-2002, 02:32 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Here's the poop : red cp. , black std. int. , tele wheel , speed warning , shoulder belts , BIG TANK , ORIGINAL engine (correct broach markings and stampings) , 38,000 miles , built on july 10 , 1967 , serial # 22777 , has big round tube headders and side pipes (looks like it had been set up to road race), all big brake components intact , all suspension and other clues appear to be original L-88 .
Assuming this car to be authentic, three items jump off the screen right away:
1. One of only 20 L-88s in 1967
2. One of only 2 big tank cars in 1967
3. Headers were not factory, but if manufactured by Kustom, may have had a Chevy part number. The car left the factory with exhaust manifolds.

It should, of course, be no heater/defroster, no radio, and no holes where they would be located.

It should have the road draft tube off the driver's side valve cover.

It should have TI amplifier under the driver's side headlight door.

Hood prop should be on driver's side.

No fan shroud.

Rad overflow on passenger side near gills.

No ignition shielding (for radio interference)

No chrome valve covers.

Proper octane-warning badge on console.

Different stinger hood from regular big blocks (rear induction).

L-88 air cleaner setup to match hood.

There's lots more, but that's a start.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:50 PM
geopar
Melting Slicks

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (67HEAVEN)

67 HEAVEN , ALL components are there(or not there as in the case of radio , shielding , shrould , etc.) and appear original . The exhaust is assumed to be a racing replacement item . This could get interesting ? You bet !! There's no telling what this vette will be worth when restored and if enough history can be documented . Maybe we should charge the owner for research ? :) :nono: Maybe I can get some photos to post . I'll keep you informed , Geo :cheers:
Old 06-28-2002, 02:59 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

The (special) stinger hood will be "very" difficult to "invent".

Here's a photo of what it should look like......note the four holes facing the windshield area. Definitely unusual.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:04 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (67HEAVEN)

The 4-speed must be M-22 rock crusher (available only with L-88 in 1967).
Old 06-28-2002, 04:43 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Yes, please post some pix's.... :cool:

67HEAVEN

Please shut the hood on my car.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-28-2002, 06:03 PM
olredalert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (achapman)

This is interesting

---------1.Rich Cohens 350/AC big tank.
---------2.This L-88,which certainly sounds plausible.
---------3.Another red/black L-88 with big tank that I know of that is sitting unrestored and wrecked(hard)with no engine.Documentation;none,but the car is an original big/tank 67.
---------4.Another 67 427/390.Maroon/black,with big tank,that many people have told me about in the Chicago area in the late 60s.Supposedly belonged to a rep for an automotive paint company.It was seen by many body shop type guys,none of whom knew each other but that remembered the car distinctly.
---------Now,you guys dont have to believe my sightings as fact or anything,because they are only hearsay,but I know the people involved and all are credible.
---------Add to this the fact that Noland states under NO3 in 67 that one of the two cars is(and I quote)an all out racer,equipped with an L-88 engine.
Maybe the car above is the coupe mentioned by Noland?Big tank cars are very,very hard to fake to those who have studied them like I have over the years.There are a number of things that jump right off the car if you know what you are looking for.
---------So,were there 2 or more extras made by Chevrolet in 67 than anyone thought?Or are there two or more fakes out of these cars?I ask because I really dont know the answer.I have suspected the low number (2) of tankers in 67 could have been wrong for a long time,but have no proof of this other than the 4 or possibly 5 cars mentioned above.Would love to dig into this and figure it out.Thanks for a very interesting post.................Bill S
Old 06-28-2002, 07:48 PM
geopar
Melting Slicks

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (olredalert)

There is a wealth of info on this forum ; it will be interesting see how this "new" L-88 story plays out . Nolan was on here a few weeks ago (hope he sees this and responds ) , and Jim Gessner has not chimed in yet . I think the owner is in contact with some knowledgeable people/restorers because he wants to do this this thing right (even though he's doing it for the money , who can blame him --this could be a 1,000,000+ vette). He agreed to let me post this info and the serial # here because I told him what a SUPER site this is and because any info that can help him document this vete will prove very valueable . My interest is purely out of curiousity and expanding my knowledge of "special" Corvettes , and it could be a great story if it pans out . (I am envious, because I want a rare vette , and the story of how this was found is off the wall : The current owner advertized for a big tank (just the fuel tank , not a "tanker" car). After he was contacted by a seller of same , he went to check it out and found that the "tank" -------- was in the vette!!! ) I felt pretty lucky when my '68 small block vert. bought sight unseen turned out to be a real L-71 car , but this guy may have more luck than most of us combined ? I have requested some photos and will post if and when I recieve them . Later , Geo Remember the '71 LS-6 I found near me ? It is still sitting ! I hope to get something going w/that some day , but it looks like the owner thinks it is worth restored $'s even though it is many , many thousands of $'s away from #1 condition . Oh well , we'll see . Geo
Old 06-28-2002, 08:15 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what a tanker car is. My question is: What did they do at the factory with the tank sticker for these cars ? Who is that guy that owns (1) of each year tanker ?
Old 06-28-2002, 08:41 PM
geopar
Melting Slicks

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (Grey Ghost)

It is my understanding that the " tank stickers"(build sheets) were placed on the spare tire carrier . ??? Maybe someone on the forum can confirm this thought or state otherwise . I can't answer your 2nd question , but I know someone her can . Geo
Old 06-28-2002, 09:02 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but finding another L88 makes me :sleep: ..................
Several hundred have already been uncovered.
Prove me wrong!
Till then :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Old 06-28-2002, 09:12 PM
geopar
Melting Slicks

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (396 RAT)

I think all of us can understand that sentiment . But what if ?? Let's here from some more history guys(gals) out there . Geo
Old 06-28-2002, 09:15 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (396 RAT)

Sorry, but finding another L88 makes me :sleep: ..................
Several hundred have already been uncovered.
Prove me wrong!
Till then :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Like I said earlier...
This thread should get quite interesting.....
Old 06-28-2002, 10:44 PM
joe58
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this guy has a few big tanks
http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/corvette.htm
Old 06-28-2002, 11:44 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Well it is not in the survay. In fact the highest number in the survay is over 400 numbers lower. I have talked to Drew Papsen, who also lives in Conn., and heads up the survay. He has lots of questions about it, as I do.

What needs to be done is, as Bill says, see the car. It is very difficult to clone a big tank car. In fact I have never seen anyone duplicate the factory's effort without leaving marks that it is a remake. Even heavy Brake #684 solid axel cars can be told that they were made up, especially the rear air scoops.

Apparently in the last 12 months a 67 Corvette coupe has surfaced from Europe that has a factory big tank. This car is a small block car, so 3 for sure were made. In 1965 they made 41 Big Tank cars, and 66 in 1966. I truly believe that at least 20 or so 67's were made. The Dana 67 LeMans racer driven by Bondurant, Guldstrand and Yenko had a special big tank built for it. LeMans cars had to make 25 laps miniumm before stoping for fuel or fluids. In 1960, the tanks were special 24 gallon units and only 10 were made and 7 have been found. The Lemans racers ( four cars) were enlarged to hold 41 gallons. And those cars were 283 's not big 427's . I do not know if the Dana car started life as a Big Tank car, but it sure had to be by the time it reached LeMans. If so , now we have 4.......and the beat goes on.

The four holes in the hood picture are correct. But I have seen repo hoods with like holes.

I will be most curious to see this car.

Let's send Bill, then we can all speculate if the real Richard Buxbaum is still out there releasing old finds from the 70's.

JIM

PS: If you could not get a radio or heater, do you think you would order a speed minder dash?

[Modified by jimgessner, 9:51 PM 6/28/2002]
Old 06-29-2002, 12:24 AM
geopar
Melting Slicks

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (jimgessner)

I think the owner really wants to have as much confirmation as possible for this car . That being said , I believe that any and all steps , inspections , etc. , will be welcome . Jim , I will contact owner and discuss this process and relay the info . Please contact me via e-mail or phone for further info and next steps . As stated earlier , this will all play out sooner or later , but wouldn't it be fun to be a part of the process ! :cheers: Geo

Get notified of new replies

To '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc.

Old 06-29-2002, 12:39 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

It's too bad the factory records aren't more conclusive but then again, maybe I'll find myself a 67 L88 and God knows it'll need a big tank to make up for my heavy foot! :eek: :lol: :crazy:
Old 06-29-2002, 02:13 AM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Default Re: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc. (Mac)

Very, very hard to accept that any undiscovered '67 L88's exist. The car is such a icon of mystery in the Corvette world, and so horrendously valuable, that the dream of finding one tucked away in someones garage or barn, unseen for thirty or forty years, would seem to be on a level with finding the "Treasure of the Sierra Madre."

Many old cars have been dumped in berry patches, stored away in old barns, etc. I've never known a Corvette to be dumped that some knowledgable Corvette person wasn't aware of, especially one so rare. Even some unaware trespasser would be attracted to a Corvette that appeared discarded, and it's location would somehow be made public.

I've have had a special interest in them for years, having owned four '67 BB's in '67, two of which were brand new. I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who had a chance to buy a used L88 in '67, and like a fool, passed to buy a new, red, 435 roadster ( I wish I had it back today, too)

It's time for all documented '67 L88's to be factory authenticated and accounted for, and for all the "counterfit" L88's to be clearly identified. It's fun to pursuit the dream, but I'm afraid that's all it is -- a dream.

Sorry to be so negative, but it would take many pictures, as well as all the known undeniable documentation to convince me it isn't a good clone.

:cheers:

Terry
Old 06-29-2002, 10:10 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in Connecticut was it found? I grew up there and knew a few folks who were into such exotic things. Let me know where it came from. Possibly I know someone with some info.

I knew a guy who had a big tank 66 roadster or possibly it was a 65 from Conn. I remember seeing the big tank car and somebody said "Wow it has a huge capacity fuel tank, my response was kinda "So what look at it no fancy wheels (just steelies) no hub caps and those weird low profile tires. It looks so plain"! Ah well being uninformed was so blissful. The guy who had the car was still into sports car racing with Vetts as recently as four or five years ago so he would be one source of info if I can still find him.

[Modified by TheOman, 8:25 AM 6/29/2002]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '67 L-88 big tank found ---need help w/history/facts/etc.