C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'64 Coupe Resto-Mod W (409 Motor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I worked on the chassis and body this week did some mockup. I epoxy primed the chassis and did some suspension fitting. This is getting more fun every day.
Attached Images      
Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Tonight I made some brackets to mount to my lift to lift the body off and it worked great. I went ahead and started removing the rear floor pan to install the chassis. I am going to mount the chassis tomorrow and do the final trimming after it is bolted in and shimmed. I am going to build a twin roll bar hoop and install it before I finish installing the wheel tubs to make the install a little easier. I am going to mock up these spider wheels that I borrowed from Vette Nuts (where I bought all the C5 parts) after the chassis is in to see if they fit. If they fit I am going to buy a set and paint them bronze and use them untill I machine my custom wheels we are making. I will use them as an extra set to go auto cross/ road racing. If anyone needs a real solid rolling chassis I will be steam cleaning it this week to get ready to sell. This car was kept in a garage for the last 30 years in Alabama and it has never been hit.
Attached Images       
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good. Now the fun begins putting it back together..
Please keep the pictures coming.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Just wow!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ed and I Worked some more today after work and installed the chassis in the car. I have a lot of adjusting and shimming to do but it went in real easy. Mike builds a great chassis at SRIII and it shows! I need to get some lug nuts and a rotor to see if the z06 wheels are going to fit but so far it is looking good.
Attached Images      
Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 PM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I can see the hood and door fitment look good. I would place a rag or piece of rubber between the jack stands and frame. Sure would hate to see that thing scratched up.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Lookin' good. Looks like you have C7 suspension...one of the first. What rear you going with?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ken the chassis is set up with c5 suspension. I got a good deal on the suspension components and didn't see spending the extra cash on c6 or c7 when I probably couldn't see or feel the difference. I have been watching your build and it is looking great.

I am going to machine pads for the front and back for jack points while I'm doing all the mock up. I primed the the chassis so I didn't have to look at rust for a couple months but I plan to blast the frame before I paint it.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by HAVNFUN64
Ken the chassis is set up with c5 suspension. I got a good deal on the suspension components and didn't see spending the extra cash on c6 or c7 when I probably couldn't see or feel the difference. I have been watching your build and it is looking great.

I am going to machine pads for the front and back for jack points while I'm doing all the mock up. I primed the the chassis so I didn't have to look at rust for a couple months but I plan to blast the frame before I paint it.
Ah, it didn't look like C6, so thought you might be the one Mike was building the C7 chassis for. I was going to advise you not to paint he chassis before doing all the mock-up work, but after re-reading, I see it was just a primer coat.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Did some test fitment and color sampling this weekend. The rear wheels came in and sprayed a coat of base on to test the color for the wheels and suspension. I am going to drop the motor/trans in to check fitment this weekend.
Attached Images     
Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

You owe me a new keyboard. I keep drooling on mine.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

This weekend I got the final color for the wheels mixed. Then I bead blasted the powder coating and epoxy primed the wheels. Next I based and clear coated the wheels with 7parts clear and 3.5 parts flatting agent to get a satin finish and it seems like it worked good. The wheels are a dark bronze with gold and green pearl. I wanted a hint of a green hue to go with the green on the car. This is the color I am going to paint the frame and the suspension. The calipers are going to be champagne colored like the stripe. Tomorrow I am going to mount the tires and get the car on the ground. I would like to start putting the car it the sun to let the body work do any moving around before I paint it this summer.
Attached Images      
Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

This weekend I got the final color for the wheels mixed. Then I bead blasted the powder coating and epoxy primed the wheels. Next I based and clear coated the wheels with 7parts clear and 3.5 parts flatting agent to get a satin finish and it seems like it worked good. The wheels are a dark bronze with gold and green pearl. I wanted a hint of a green hue to go with the green on the car. This is the color I am going to paint the frame and the suspension. The calipers are going to be champagne colored like the stripe. Tomorrow I am going to mount the tires and get the car on the ground. I would like to start putting the car it the sun to let the body work do any moving around before I paint it this summer.
Is it possible to clear powder coat over the base coat? Thinking about durability of powder coat versus clear coat.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

That sounds like a good idea. I will have to ask my powder coater if that would work.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally had my wheels and tires mounted. I have been waiting along time to see if the wheel and tire combo with the color looked like I had envisioned and so far so good. I will hopefully be able to roll the car out in the sun in the next couple of days. I need to add the rear tie rods and make a rod to go in place of the rack and pinion until I have it rebuilt. Maybe the motor will go in this weekend.
Attached Images      
Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally got the car on the ground so I can start rolling it out in the sun to do some baking. Next I will install the motor to some more mocking up.
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks cool! Must be a big moment to get to this point in the project.

Get notified of new replies

To '64 Coupe Resto-Mod W (409 Motor)

Old 04-26-2014, 10:39 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I got a lot done today. Installed the Billet Specialties pulleys, finished machining the throttle linkage, made up the plug wires, machined the starter adapter and installed the fuel pump block off plate. Coolant lines, fuel lines and wiring then maybe soon we will smell smoke. I am ready to hear this run! It has been only three years saving money to get to this point. Its getting fun! :
Are you using the original fuel lines to pick up the vacuum signal for MAP fueling?
Bruce B
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 AM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes it was a big moment. You have a picture in you head and to see it coming to life is priceless. I have had a lot of cars but have always had to drive them. I have never built one from scratch so it means a lot more to get to these mile stones.

Yes the map sensor is tied to the lines that resemble the original fuel lines but this intake was designed for EFI. The bad thing is that the individual runner intake kills the your cam. I have a 600 inch roller cam and it idles at 650 rpm and is smooth like a new car but the throttle response is crazy! I just wish it sounded a little meaner.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 PM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

It is finally in. So far everything fits good. One header tube is close but that's no problem. This week I will assemble the shifter and check all the tunnel clearance. The injection has over 4 inches of clearance and that is what I was worried about.
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: '64 Coupe Resto-Mod W (409 Motor)