C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

window crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Big Bru
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window crank

After nine months of nursing my 27-year stored 1965 327/365 coupe back to relative health, I popped the drivers door panel off to see why the window crank isn't working. I've found something else I know nothing about! Any simple things I might look for before I start poking around in there? My Chilton's manual sucks, especially in this section. Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,982 Likes on 4,802 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Whats it doing
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Bru
..... Any simple things I might look for before I start poking around in there? ...... Thanks
Yes, a window spring can put a hurt on you! Make sure you read up on it before trying to remove it if that is part of the problem.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
W64N
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if the links in this thread help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...hanism-c2.html

Woodford
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Big Bru
Intermediate

The crank will move the window down slightly under heavy pressure, and back up an inch or so under the same
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It could be the window run felts have bunched up and it is jamming the window in the channel or the old grease has turned to wax and which is preventing the window from moving.
Get yourself the factory shop manual and it will explain how to remove the window mechanism.
Joe
Old 08-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I have the same problem with my 67'

The car is in transit, across the Atlantic, but I want to be ready to tackle this when I get back.

The article mention/linked above is great, but sadly, it is for a car that is has powerwindows, thus its good, but not the best for newbies like me that have an issue with the window crank mech...

If I put pressure on the window glass, either down on the window, or "out" slightly, and turn the crank at the same time, I can get the window to go down/up slowly.

Any ideas on where I should start in tackle this? Any parts I should pre order to be ready?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Big Bru
Intermediate

I think my problem turned out to be something that probably hasn't happened to yours. The window had been broken sometime in the past ( I found pieces of broken glass after removing the door panel), and parts of the lift mechanism had been bent. I lubed and straightened them as best I could, and now the window operates, but slowly and still takes way too much effort. I'm going to replace all those parts in the future. The article suggested in one of the responses is good, and shows a door w/ power windows. That should give you some good ideas.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Revfan
I have the same problem with my 67'

The car is in transit, across the Atlantic, but I want to be ready to tackle this when I get back.

The article mention/linked above is great, but sadly, it is for a car that is has powerwindows, thus its good, but not the best for newbies like me that have an issue with the window crank mech...

If I put pressure on the window glass, either down on the window, or "out" slightly, and turn the crank at the same time, I can get the window to go down/up slowly.

Any ideas on where I should start in tackle this? Any parts I should pre order to be ready?

Thanks!

I wouldn't pre-order anything. Wait until the car gets to you. Then pull off the door panel. Do an inspection of the felt and the working parts of the window mechanism. On my coupe it was the window felts that rotted and bunched up causing it to operate very hard.

Get notified of new replies

To window crank

Quick Reply: window crank