C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Horn Blowing after shut down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 PM
detch
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Default Horn Blowing after shut down?

I was working on my 65 distributer today, reinstalled the shield cover and started the car and it started to smoke and the horn started blowing. Shut it down, pulled the cover off figuring the coil wire was hitting the cover, but the horn kept blowing, i disconected the horn. Sure enough, I saw some burn marks on the inside of the cover. So I started it back up with out the cover and every thing was fine. Hooked up the horn and went for a ride. Got back home, turned off the car and the horn started to blow again so I disconnected it.
Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Check you horn relay first, its mounted on the Rad support...

then go from there...others will chime in...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
detch
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Rad support? not sure what that is, I did find the tape on the wire harness melted and exposed a bare wire, I take it the wire cooked its insulation off and the harness tape also so I am off to the fix the wire. I did move in during my investigation and heard the horn cherp a couple of times. Do you think it is the wire shorting out to another wire or the relay being bad?

Mike
Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Radiator support is the large piece of steel that the radiator is mounted on.

Since the ignition line to the coil from the key switch is not fuse protected, my guess is that the main dash harness is damaged. The horns get power from the relay. The relay is triggered by a black ground wire from the steering column.

To stop the relay from being triggered to blow the horn, unplug the T shaped connector from the relay.

Last edited by magicv8; 07-14-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn Blowing after shut down?

Quick Reply: Horn Blowing after shut down?