C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1954 LS1 Turbo Restomod

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Schraders
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1954 LS1 Turbo Restomod

Just to review...LS based iron 4.8/NV3500 5 speed stick, T72 turbo, centered Explorer rear end, leaf springs moved under the frame, Wilwood disc brakes up front and stock Ford discs in the rear. Otherwise stock suspension and steering. Body is uncut except for some minor mods to the firewall for the pedal box.

I've had the car on the road for about 1000 miles now, still sorting some minor issues but overall drives really nice and fast as hell! I haven't been to the dyno yet but I easily expect 520-ish to the rear tires on 10 pounds of boost and pump gas. Driveability out of the boost is spirited and in the boost is attention getting to say the least.

I build custom cars for a living and this one has kicked my *** from day one. I have never built a fiberglass car before (at least from scratch) and I must admit I am less than thrilled with the build quality of the original car. Panel fit is beyond horrible, I've never seen a factory built vehicle this bad. I would estimate 500-600 hours labor to finish this body to levels I would consider very nice. Frankly, I don't think that's worth it.

Chassis wise the car is surprisingly good. I guess this chassis was seeing 150 plus on road courses in the late 1950's so I shouldn't be that surprised but still, there is a lot more power on tap than it was ever designed for. Of course, it just goes sideways under power but it will go down the freeway at 80 all day long feeling very relaxed and in control.

I still need to figure out how to attach the hood, the turbo piping is in direct conflict with the stock hood hinges. I am also on the fence about the seats, I did not get stock seats when I got the car and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $5000 for a set. The SR1 (or maybe 2???) used the 550 Porsche seats I am using, and they help me fit in the car but something more substantial would fill the body better. I also have all the grill teeth and bars, I think the car needs them to look right. They will need some tweaking to fit but all in the backside so no one will see.

But hey, at least I can drive the thing now!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

OMG, that thing is looking beautiful and mean at the same time! I love what you've done with it. Keep the camera handy and updates coming, this is going to be freaking awesome when done.

Last edited by groovyjay; 07-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Just set the hood on like drag racers do. Four pins and clips.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 PM
62vetteuk
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

wow like that
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Great ride....I absolutely agree with your observation on the older Vettes lack of quality. Even though I replaced the complete font clip and hood on my 57 there was still tons of shop time required to make the black Vette straight and make all the panel gaps look good.

There is a street rod interior supplier called Wise Guys that makes seat frames and foam for our C1s. The cushion is concave about three inches allowing you to sit much lower in the car and the backs have a deep bolster which will hold you in the seat much better than the stock ones. ( a feature it looks like you could defiantly use .....Al Knock has a seat called AOK that uses this frame/foam combo, I had him build a set about three years ago for my 57 using the AOK with the original waffle pattern in torch red instead of the orange red original to the 57s. He did a complete interior for me in leather for a little over the 5K you were talking about for just seats....you might want to give either Al or Wise Guys and see what they can do.

Most of the guys building quality Vette Rods will have well north of 100k in the build so you are probably not in to bad shape$$$$ wise

Good luck with your ride and have FUN.

Tom (Low Rider)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Love the build, very nice.

Here's another alternative on the seat...

Link
Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
18thVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Cool car, doing our 53 was tough not to fix gaps and waves in the body, but we had to leave it to be original, These early bodies are horrible !!

Get notified of new replies

To 1954 LS1 Turbo Restomod

Quick Reply: 1954 LS1 Turbo Restomod