C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do I need a VintageAir frontrunner on my LS7 going into my '63?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Do I need a VintageAir frontrunner on my LS7 going into my '63?

My engine should be done being built next week and its time to start planning fitting it into the car. Are these engine accessory serpentine systems required to get them to fit in a C2 or is it all about the looks. $2600 seems like a lot to spend. I figure I can source all the stock components for ~$1000-1200. I see the ATI dampers are $3-400 compared to a stock takeoff for $100.
Anyone have any comments?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

So doing some more research I see these aftermarket systems mount the accessories in a more compact configuration. First 2 pics below is the vintage air setup, pics 3 and 4 for the C1 pulley system, and 5 from billetspecialties.
Attached Images      
Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

...and the stock LS7 setup...
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ken,

Do you "need" the Front Runner?.....No.

Do you "want" the Front Runner?....Yes!

Fits, works and looks like what it costs!

I just bought another one yesterday for the '59 we're working on now.

Paul
San Antonio
(Home of Vintage Air)
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Ken, those prices may include the water pump, a/c compressor, alternator and PS pump too. If you don't need those you may save some bucks. The stuff looks good, and it fits like a glove.

Don't go cheap now! (I love spending other people's money)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

The C3 guys are using the stock corvette brackets, if you are running AC, Kwik and Holley make brackets to mount a sanden compressor high on the passenger side.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Ken
Vintage is the way to go have I them on my 63 and the 69 I'm building now. My other 69 has a street and performance system nothing but trouble search other build posts I think you will find others that went the cheaper route had regrets.
Mark
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mark6669
Ken
Vintage is the way to go have I them on my 63 and the 69 I'm building now. My other 69 has a street and performance system nothing but trouble search other build posts I think you will find others that went the cheaper route had regrets.
Mark
It certainly does look a lot better than the last pic. I posted of the stock setup. I just confirmed with them that the stock alt. and PS pump will not work with their setup. Their system used custom stuff to make it all work with one belt. My mind was almost made up before I started this thread, now I'm rethinking....
Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Frontrunner is the only one that works. I've used all of them. Save yourself a bunch of grief, and get the Frontrunner setup.

Mike Coletta
Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Mastr Fab
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

We added a compressor mounting bracket from Kwik Performance Inc. to our stock LS-7 front drive to complete our installation.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Frontrunner is the only one that works. I've used all of them. Save yourself a bunch of grief, and get the Frontrunner setup.

Mike Coletta

I am living it now with my LS3. I had to spend a lot of time and $$ to correct a sub par system....

Dan
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
It certainly does look a lot better than the last pic. I posted of the stock setup. I just confirmed with them that the stock alt. and PS pump will not work with their setup. Their system used custom stuff to make it all work with one belt. My mind was almost made up before I started this thread, now I'm rethinking....
Ken,

For what it is worth....I have three LS conversions, all us GM accessories. My reasoning is based on cost and dependability. The Vintage system is by far the nicest of all the aftermarket versions, but they and the others all have drawbacks in regards to "unique" parts. If you drive your car on Power Tour or long trips and the waterpump, idler pulley or other part fails, finding a replacment quickly can be a problem.

The GM stuff is designed for every day driving in all conditions and is readily available all over the country. If you spend some time and detail the brackets, it can actually be made to look very nice and there are many different versions to help fit your application. As mentioned earlier, many aftermarket companies are making additional brackets to compliment the GM systems.

Yes, the VA system is pretty and pricey, and if I was building a car for show and some cruising that is the one I would get. If your intrest is getting a solid, dependable and easiliy servicable package, the GM stuff is a rock solid design and bargin. The LS Corvette package has some issues fitting a stock C2/C3 frame with the power steering pump, but the 5th Gen Camaro, GTO and CTSV have nice compact dimensions. Hope this helps.

R/
Jeff
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Land Shark 64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Frontrunner system in mine and it works perfectly on the LS7 in my 64.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the input guys. Its the VA system or stock accessories for me. Leaning toward the VA.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I just went through the same decision process for my 56 LS3, I bought the front runner and now that the cost is behind me I am feeling good for it, it looks great and will add to the bling of the engine compartment, I too though had a tough time considering the stock Gm system is quality and affordable. The main difference for me (other than the bling) was limiting it down to one belt with the front runner vs the two for the GM unit. Go for it, Brian
Old 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I used a Billet Specialties front runner kit on the LS1 that I had in a Pro-touring Camaro I used to own. Fit perfectly and I really liked the manifold on the AC compressor which allowed me to bring in the AC lines from the bottom.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Old thread, but wanted to thanks everyone one for helping me spend my money. I bought the frontrunner setup. Having some install problems that V.A. can't even figure out.
I converted my LS7 to a wet sump which then gives me more crankshaft sticking out the front than the LS3. But, V.A. says to use the LS3 frontrunner. The spacer needed to push the hub all the way on the crank that Scoggs and Dickey sells won't fit inside the V.A. hub. V.A. thinks the inside diameter of their hub is the same as the stock hub which the spacer was designed for. But she don't work. The only other build I've seen with a frontrunner on an LS7 converted to a wet sump was Jim Toma's car.
Does anyone have any experience with this setup that can provide any ideas how to fix this?
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need a VintageAir frontrunner on my LS7 going into my '63?

Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Beggers
Pro

Ken, at first blush I would say that you either have the wrong spacer or (more likly) you need to heat up the hub to allow for expansion so that you can press the spacer on. It is a tight fit, I put mine in a bucket of boiling water for a few minutes before pressing it on, it will not go on without pressing. you can rent or borrow an installation pressing tool that will thread into the crank to get the job done. Brian
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, I took some measurements. Inside diameter of Hub is 2.051", outside diameter of spacer is 2.1085". So .0575" difference. Looks like too much of a difference to press on, at least that's my guess.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Beggers
Pro

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Thanks, I took some measurements. Inside diameter of Hub is 2.051", outside diameter of spacer is 2.1085". So .0575" difference. Looks like too much of a difference to press on, at least that's my guess.
Ken, you may want to try the boiling water method and then measure it to see how much expansion you get. Mine wouldn't even start without doing that. Brian

Quick Reply: Do I need a VintageAir frontrunner on my LS7 going into my '63?