C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 PM
65 Dave
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

Which is the better way to go on radios? Redo the original or buy a new one with all the modern features ?
I am at that stage must get it ordered. Also is there any diff in antenna wires ?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

You'll probably get differing opinions on this one. Personally I had my stock radio rebuilt/converted by Greg @ S&M electotec. Its the original radio but with a 4 channel 45 watt up grade plus an output plug for an iPod, mp3, or iPhone which is what I use and I love it. But if you're in a hurry you'll need to buy aftermarket cause the turnaround is about 8 weeks.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I'd choose original. I don't listen to the radio when I'm driving the 65 (with side pipes). It would be a waste of money and effort for me.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Roy Nakamura
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like this is a total preference call. The previous owner of my 1965 installed a very powerful system with a lot of un-stock wiring EVERYWHERE. Ripped all that wiring out....Under dash...clean...check. Now with the Classic Air I won' t be able to re-install the radio unit back into the glovebox anyway. In dash was also one of those modern radios that were made to fit C2. Out that went....next bought an ORIGINAL C2 AM /FM and cleaned her up. Not sure she works...but I at minimum wanted my dash to look stock. Now...Stock Kick-Panels, Sub Woofers gone..and I look Old Skool :-) I will put some system inside my storage area so I can play my iPod...

Last edited by Roy Nakamura; 07-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM
silver67
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
You'll probably get differing opinions on this one. Personally I had my stock radio rebuilt/converted by Greg @ S&M electotec. Its the original radio but with a 4 channel 45 watt up grade plus an output plug for an iPod, mp3, or iPhone which is what I use and I love it. But if you're in a hurry you'll need to buy aftermarket cause the turnaround is about 8 weeks.
This is what I did with my 57 looks stock even the wonderbar feature works.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

65_Dave,

I went with keeping the stock radio, but adding 2 speakers in the rear to give a somewhat stereo effect.

The man to go to for refurbishing the stock radio, adding a plug in the back to play your MP3 through this stock system is:

Jerry Rudbeck of ElectroDesign. Here's his website and contact info:

http://www.electrodesign.us/contactus.htm

He's the Man!! for cleaning up, making sure the stock radio works to its optimum and upgrading it...depending on your tastes. He's great to deal with, reasonable in his pricing and is thorough in what he will do to your radio system.

Jim
In God We Trust!

Get notified of new replies

To Radio

Quick Reply: Radio