C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Strut Rod Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Glen Green 65
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Strut Rod Install Question

I'm getting ready to replace the rear strut rods on my '64. I was reading the factory service manual and it says to remove the strut rod lower mounting bracket from the rear end housing. Is that the best course of action? It also says to raise the vehicle high enough to gain access to the strut rod bolts. I assume that the vehicle tires should stay on the ground, correct?
The only time I ever did this before I was performing a complete rebuild and everything came off and then went back on later so I don't remember these issues.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

When I replaced the strut rods on my 63 with a new style set from VBP I removed the rear tires for more access and less weight. I don't believe I could have done it with the tires on the ground- lib
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

You will need the special adapter for driving the shock/strut mount out from the back side of the spindle support. Dennis
Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Glen Green 65
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I put it on my lift today and after looking thing over I see that it would be almost impossible for me to do it on the ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Strut Rod Install Question

Quick Reply: Rear Strut Rod Install Question