C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vin #

Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Canuck62
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Vin #

after buying my 62 and trying to change ownership to my name i found the vin had a wrong number
the 6th digit should have read S and on the ownership it read 5 probably a mistake by the dmv years ago because the car had been in one family for 35 years
from research i find the s stands for St Louis and is common to about 4 years of corvettes

to have it changed to the correct digit i had a lot of running around to do,, letters from couple people that the dmv said they would accept
when i bought the car i checked the vin and didnt notice the that it was a 5 and should have been s

long story short,,, make sure you wear your glasses when checking vin #'s
it will save you time and $$$
Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuck62
from research i find the s stands for St Louis and is common to about 4 years of corvettes
Far more than just 4 years, the S was used right up to the closing of the St. Louis plant in 1981.

Where is the 'Classic Car Capitol (sic) of Canada' ?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Canuck62
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Far more than just 4 years, the S was used right up to the closing of the St. Louis plant in 1981.

if you do a google search it will show chatham-kent,, but when we amalgamated they stole it from us,,, it is really Blenheim Ontario
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

if you do a google search it will show chatham-kent,, but when we amalgamated they stole it from us,,, it is really Blenheim Ontario
Interesting, I didn't know that. I've only recently moved to Canada having spent most of my life in Quebec.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting, I didn't know that. I've only recently moved to Canada having spent most of my life in Quebec.

Mike, that just made me laugh.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Canuck62
Pro

gotta admit,,, made me laugh
did you drop the eau from the end of ward when you moved here
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

You missed the part where he wants you to correct the spelling of your location...
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,043 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had a few of them over the years with a 5 not S, in Pa it is a simple form and a tracing of the vin plate and no charge.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
You missed the part where he wants you to correct the spelling of your location...
But I knew you'd see it
Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

hmmmm...

Usage of Capital vs. Capitol
SHARE: Is it spelled Capitol or Capital?Main Entry: capitol
Pronunciation: 'ka-p&-t&l, 'kap-t&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin Capitolium, temple of Jupiter at Rome on the Capitoline hill
Date: 1699
1 a : a building in which a state legislative body meets b : a group of buildings in which the functions of state government are carried out. 2 capitalized : the building in which the U.S. Congress meets at Washington, D.C.

Main Entry: capital
Etymology: French or Italian; French, from Italian capitale, from capitale, adjective, chief, principal, from Latin capitalis
Date: circa 1639
1 a (1) : a stock of accumulated goods especially at a specified time and in contrast to income received during a specified period; also : the value of these accumulated goods (2) : accumulated goods devoted to the production of other goods (3) : accumulated possessions calculated to bring in income b (1) : net worth (2) : CAPITAL STOCK c : persons holding capital d : ADVANTAGE, GAIN {make capital of the situation}
2 [2capital] a : a capital letter; especially : an initial capital letter b : a letter belonging to a style of alphabet modeled on the style customarily used in inscriptions
3 [2capital] a : a city serving as a seat of government b : a city preeminent in some special activity {the fashion capital}

Main Entry: cap·i·tal
Etymology: Middle English capitale, modification of Old North French capitel, from Late Latin capitellum small head, top of column, diminutive of Latin capit-, caput head -- more at HEAD
Date: 13th century
: the uppermost member of a column or pilaster crowning the shaft and taking the weight of the entablature -- see COLUMN illustration

Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin capitalis, from capit-, caput
Date: 14th century
1 of a letter : of or conforming to the series A, B, C, etc. rather than a, b, c, etc.
2 a : punishable by death {a capital crime} b : involving execution {capital punishment} c : most serious {a capital error}
3 a : chief in importance or influence {capital ships} {the capital importance of criticism in the work of creation itself -- T. S. Eliot}
b : being the seat of government
4 : of or relating to capital; especially : relating to or being assets that add to the long-term net worth of a corporation {capital improvements}
5 : EXCELLENT {a capital book}

Source: © 2000 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Bill
Old 06-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Canuck62
Pro

Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
hmmmm...

Usage of Capital vs. Capitol
SHARE: Is it spelled Capitol or Capital?Main Entry: capitol
Etymology: Latin Capitolium, temple of Jupiter at Rome on the Capitoline hill
Date: 1699
1 a : a building in which a state legislative body meets b : a group of buildings in which the functions of state government are carried out. 2 capitalized : the building in which the U.S. Congress meets at Washington, D.C.

Etymology: French or Italian; French, from Italian capitale, from capitale, adjective, chief, principal, from Latin capitalis
Date: circa 1639
1 a (1) : a stock of accumulated goods especially at a specified time and in contrast to income received during a specified period; also : the value of these accumulated goods (2) : accumulated goods devoted to the production of other goods (3) : accumulated possessions calculated to bring in income b (1) : net worth (2) : CAPITAL STOCK c : persons holding capital d : ADVANTAGE, GAIN {make capital of the situation}
2 [2capital] a : a capital letter; especially : an initial capital letter b : a letter belonging to a style of alphabet modeled on the style customarily used in inscriptions
3 [2capital] a : a city serving as a seat of government b : a city preeminent in some special activity {the fashion capital}

Main Entry: cap·i·tal
Etymology: Middle English capitale, modification of Old North French capitel, from Late Latin capitellum small head, top of column, diminutive of Latin capit-, caput head -- more at HEAD
Date: 13th century
: the uppermost member of a column or pilaster crowning the shaft and taking the weight of the entablature -- see COLUMN illustration

Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin capitalis, from capit-, caput
Date: 14th century
1 of a letter : of or conforming to the series A, B, C, etc. rather than a, b, c, etc.
2 a : punishable by death {a capital crime} b : involving execution {capital punishment} c : most serious {a capital error}
3 a : chief in importance or influence {capital ships} {the capital importance of criticism in the work of creation itself -- T. S. Eliot}
b : being the seat of government
4 : of or relating to capital; especially : relating to or being assets that add to the long-term net worth of a corporation {capital improvements}
5 : EXCELLENT {a capital book}

Source: © 2000 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Bill
what has happened to our Corvette Forum?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

gotta admit,,, made me laugh
did you drop the eau from the end of ward when you moved here
If my name was spelled like that or anything similar there probably would have been no reason to move. Unless I liked wearing head covering while playing soccer maybe.

Let's see who gets that reference.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM
6Tvette4me
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A common error as I have found out. I also have an incorrect Vin number registered, the S mistaken for a 5. Its been that way since I bought it in 1970. I brought this to the attention of ICBC while trying to trace previous owners and was told it would take a few hoops to go through and I'd be better off leaving it be.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65hihp
what has happened to our Corvette Forum?
it's alive & well... foibles, puns and entendres included...

Bill
Old 06-15-2013, 11:58 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

If my name was spelled like that or anything similar there probably would have been no reason to move. Unless I liked wearing head covering while playing soccer maybe.

Easy -- last week, the province (country ?) of Quebec banned wearing of Sikh religious headgear on the soccer field. Outrage followed, and I see that today the government has reversed its decision. So Mike, you can now move back
Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by midstyle
So Mike, you can now move back
Ummm, you first!

Get notified of new replies

To Vin #

Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

....that's the only thing Quebec has done right in years, too bad they'll get over ruled.

Are you enjoying small town Ontario Mike?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon

Are you enjoying small town Ontario Mike?
You bet. Been to the cottage yet this year?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:39 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Same here!

My 1968 same thing- registered with a 5 instead of an S. In California we know better than to walk into one of their offices hoping to find a smart counter person. Thus I have chosen to leave it be. It is an honest and easy typo error and I don't feel it hurts the car at all!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vin #