C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 527 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Vintage Air problem

I *think* I have a vintage air setup in my 66. First, is there a way to validate that it is Vintage Air vs. something else?

Second, AC doesn't work. I took a guess and figured the pressure was low, but I checked it and it's right where it should be. Compressor does not turn on. Are there common problems with these that I can check first?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,340 Likes on 972 Posts

Default Trouble shooting

The main differences between V/A and Classic Air seems to be the center vents. The V/A systems center vents replace the sides of the console on either side of the radio. The Classic Air system uses louver type vents on either side of the radio. If I remember, my V/A system had a sticker on the unit that sits behind the glove box. Regarding the compressor not coming on, bring a test line from the positive side of the battery to the line on the compressor. The line should be blue. If the compressor clutch clicks, start the car and make the same connection. If the compressor comes on, you most likely have a bad switch inside the car or the low pressure switch is bad or disconnected. If the compressor does not click, check your grounds. It could also be a bad clutch. Good luck. Jerry
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Could also be Hot Rod Air (out of business). There are a lot of them out there. Does the system that you have use the stock cables for operation??? Exactly HOW did you test the AC pressure??? Engine running/connected to AC gauges?? The old vintage air/classic air and hot rod are systems all used a binary switch. It is usually located up near the dryer. Do like Jerry says, and check to see if you can get the compressor to "click".

Mike Coletta
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I tested the pressure by hooking up to the low side pressure, thinking it would be low, and as soon as I did I found it right in spec on the gauge

Wire to the compressor is green, I will try to jump it to see what happens

Here are some pics.
Attached Images     
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

The compressor wont kick on if it is low on coolant. You can recharge it with a kit that you can purchase at any walmart for around 30.00. If you have a leak at a loose fitting it will become evident very quickly after filling with only a minor amount of coolant.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

made a jumper, it clicks. started it.... seems like the compressor is frozen. time to start looking for a new one I guess
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Can anyone eyeball the compressor to get me a model? Engine is currently a 95 lt1
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

start the engine first and then jumper the compressor clutch. if you hear a click but the front plate on the pulley doesn't start spinning, then it isn't engaging. if the compressor was frozen, the pulley would lock up when you engage the clutch and the belt would squeal.

there are other components to the system that can prevent the clutch from engaging. as others said, there's a pressure switch in the line. there's also a t-stat under the dash on Vintage Air (by the blower unit under the glove box) that could be switched off. mine exhibits a weird behavior where sometimes I have to pull the fan switch out and push it back in and then the clutch will engage.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikey
start the engine first and then jumper the compressor clutch. if you hear a click but the front plate on the pulley doesn't start spinning, then it isn't engaging. if the compressor was frozen, the pulley would lock up when you engage the clutch and the belt would squeal.

there are other components to the system that can prevent the clutch from engaging. as others said, there's a pressure switch in the line. there's also a t-stat under the dash on Vintage Air (by the blower unit under the glove box) that could be switched off. mine exhibits a weird behavior where sometimes I have to pull the fan switch out and push it back in and then the clutch will engage.
To expand on the click I heard, yes the clutch is engaging. I can not only hear it but see it. I started the car and jumpered the wire to engage it. Yes, the belt stops at that point, it's slipping on a different pulley, it won't spin with the AC engaged.

The compressor has been polished so I don't have any labels to go by to figure out what it is. I'd like a bolt in replacement.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Not a Vintage Air I have seen before.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,131 Likes on 555 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I believe you have a Sanden compressor.
Check out this site and it will help you identify your unit.
Joe

http://www.pageturnpro.com/Four-Seas...ndex.html#/178
Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM
soppeng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The A/C unit looks a lot like my Old Air Products Hurricane unit.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by soppeng
The A/C unit looks a lot like my Old Air Products Hurricane unit.
I think you are right, looks just like it. I hadn't heard of them before. I found their website and it's making some sense.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:19 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

That is a standard off-the-shelf Sanden compressor that can be bought almost anywhere. No special configuration to the ports.

Almost every supplier in the world, sells that compressor. You can get it from all the big catalog houses like Summit, and Jegs, as well as Vintage Air.

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air problem

Quick Reply: Vintage Air problem