C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

another 64 to consider

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Default another 64 to consider

Hi guys,

I'm getting some details on this one. Supposed to be fairly well preserved original condition. Can you identify any rework done on the underside? I see the spare tire carrier is missing and the mufflers have been changed.

Are those factory tapes on the body mounts near the e-brake spring?

Also look at the front bumper brackets. Are those replacements?

Also please look at the chips in the paint. Zoom in if possible. Does it look like a repaint or could it be original factory paint?

Any observations are appreciated!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

The bumper braces have been replaced. Check for front end repairs as they always bend on a front end collision.
Definitely a repaint.

Jim
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 PM
gccch
Drifting

There seems to be a weld in the third picture between the bumper bracket and the A-frame mount. It does not appear on the passenger side but only on the drivers side. Does this look right?

I was really hoping this car was the one, but the more I look the more questions come up and more disappointments uncovered.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
There seems to be a weld in the third picture between the bumper bracket and the A-frame mount. It does not appear on the passenger side but only on the drivers side. Does this look right?
I think that weld is an illusion. Just looks like pieces of old paint. If you look at that same area in the fifth picture, there's no evidence of a weld.

That hood doesn't seem to have the 64 depressions.

Last edited by Subfixer; 06-08-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Random observations - don't know how many are of importance to you and your goals.
  • Yes, center front bumper brackets were replaced, one has remnants of the style of GM tag used in the 70s-80s.
  • There's a fuel hose attached to the outlet side of the fuel pump, so the correct steel fuel line is missing and this could indicate the carburetor has been replaced as well, because that's often the reason for going to a rubber fuel hose in that location.
  • I don't see spark plug wires going between the driver's motor mount and the engine block, so those have been replaced.
  • Wiring at the gas tank looks original, chances are the whole car could stand to be rewired
  • Relatively new brake hose at the right front drum, so maybe the brakes have been done. I believe most typical owners do not replace a hose without also doing the brake system.
  • Fuel pump looks cleaner than the rest of the car, so it may be newer
  • Rear shocks have been replaced, possibly the fronts as well
  • Rear spring end-bolt cushions and washers are new
  • Under side of the car looks a bit rusty in the back, but as a Texan I may have atypical expectations versus what the rest of the country sees in old cars
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your gonna spend some bucks on this one.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 PM
gccch
Drifting

Holy cow, I can't believe I missed the hood! You are right it is from a 65/66 along with the dash and seats. Who knows what else now. Argh!

Yes, I will need some bucks on any of the cars I've seen in my price range. It's getting very discouraging.

Oh well, I will continue looking, although I am starting to shift back to the blue 64 I have been considering. It's also going to take some cash to get the missing engine parts but mostly bolt on stuff so maybe that's my best route. Drive it while restoring is my goal. Not top flight but correct.

Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To another 64 to consider

Quick Reply: another 64 to consider