C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question on Removing a Power Steering Pump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question on Removing a Power Steering Pump Pulley

Hello,
I have a chance to sell a 66 Corvette small block power steering pump with brackets to a guy in Australia. He told me that my pump pulley will not work on his 72 small block 350 (non air). He needs a different pulley. I have never removed a pulley off a power steering pump. Concerned about damaging the pulley.
My question: How does one remove the pulley off a power steering pump?
All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Richard
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default P/S Pulley

Originally Posted by wonderful
Hello,
I have a chance to sell a 66 Corvette small block power steering pump with brackets to a guy in Australia. He told me that my pump pulley will not work on his 72 small block 350 (non air). He needs a different pulley. I have never removed a pulley off a power steering pump. Concerned about damaging the pulley.
My question: How does one remove the pulley off a power steering pump?
All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Richard
If there's a nut holding it on, just remove the nut and give the pulley a few taps and it should slide off. If there is no nut and the shaft is flush with the front of the pulley, it is pressed on and you will need a pulley puller. The bolt on and press on pulley shafts are not interchangeable, so make sure the pulley he is going to use attaches the same way as yours.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 05-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the information. There is a nut holding the pulley. I will try to remove the nut with a socket wrench. There is a square part behind the nut on the pulley shaft for a crescent wrench to fit on. I don't want to put the pulley on a vice, because I will bend something. When the pulley nut is removed, will try to tap out the pulley lightly with a rubber mallet.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by wonderful
Thanks for the information. There is a nut holding the pulley. I will try to remove the nut with a socket wrench. There is a square part behind the nut on the pulley shaft for a crescent wrench to fit on. I don't want to put the pulley on a vice, because I will bend something. When the pulley nut is removed, will try to tap out the pulley lightly with a rubber mallet.
You're going to damage the pump if you tap on the pulley.
There's a special puller that grabs the hub of the pulley and removes it without any stress on the pump shaft. Most auto parts stores will loan/rent you one. Or if you walked in with your pump, they'll probably just pull it off for you - no charge.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with Mike Geary. Be careful and have patience. Al W.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Pulley

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
You're going to damage the pump if you tap on the pulley.
There's a special puller that grabs the hub of the pulley and removes it without any stress on the pump shaft. Most auto parts stores will loan/rent you one. Or if you walked in with your pump, they'll probably just pull it off for you - no charge.
His pulley is held on with a nut--it is NOT pressed on. Just grab it with your hand and wiggle it off.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Finally took off the pulley. Had to use a impact wrench and a vise grip to remove the nut. The pulley did not come off easily. I had to heat off the pulley with a propane torch and tap with a hammer gently on a block of wood. The rubber mallet was ineffective. Took about 45 minutes to do. Looks like the pulley was pressed on along with a key way.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
His pulley is held on with a nut--it is NOT pressed on. Just grab it with your hand and wiggle it off.
If it wiggles off, count yourself fortunate. While not a true press fit, they are usually frozen on the shaft, and the only safe way to remove them is with the puller.

Check the '66 service manual, which clearly cautions against beating on the pulley or shaft to avoid pump damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Removing a Power Steering Pump Pulley

Quick Reply: Question on Removing a Power Steering Pump Pulley