C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 pumpkin change out

Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 542 Likes on 313 Posts

Default C2 pumpkin change out

In addition to Chuck's current pumpkin change out back to 4:11's, I'm also looking to do the same - only in reverse............4:11 to 3:08. A big change, to be sure. .. Looking to install the 3:08's for some long distance highway cruising up to WA state, and then some.

What I would like to do is swap pumpkins out with a minimum of connecting parts removal. The idea being to possibly 're-swap' pumpkins when the driving season is over.

After drive shaft removal, strut rods, etc., do the half shafts have to be completely removed?. Can the U-joint/flange on the inboard side only of the half shafts be disconnected, leaving the outboard ends still connected to the axle shaft flanges?. Does this leave enough room to effect pumpkin removal?

The plan is to also leave the rear cover in place and unbolt/bolt in the replacement pumpkin back onto the cover. Also looking to install a gear ratio adapter in place of removing the trans and rear housing to change out the drive/driven speedo gear set.

Any tips much appreciated. .. Thanks

John
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
In addition to Chuck's current pumpkin change out back to 4:11's, I'm also looking to do the same - only in reverse............4:11 to 3:08. A big change, to be sure. .. Looking to install the 3:08's for some long distance highway cruising up to WA state, and then some.

What I would like to do is swap pumpkins out with a minimum of connecting parts removal. The idea being to possibly 're-swap' pumpkins when the driving season is over.

After drive shaft removal, strut rods, etc., do the half shafts have to be completely removed?. Can the U-joint/flange on the inboard side only of the half shafts be disconnected, leaving the outboard ends still connected to the axle shaft flanges?. Does this leave enough room to effect pumpkin removal?

The plan is to also leave the rear cover in place and unbolt/bolt in the replacement pumpkin back onto the cover. Also looking to install a gear ratio adapter in place of removing the trans and rear housing to change out the drive/driven speedo gear set.

Any tips much appreciated. .. Thanks

John
PERSONAL opinions only. Others my disagree.........

I think it's real tough to separate the diff case in the car. Others have done it.

You can either reach over the top with a 5/8" 6 point socket and remove the 4 diff cover bolts and drop it that way or you can pop the X member off of the sombrero bushings and drop the entire rear that way.

Yes, it makes things easier to completely remove the half shafts. You're only talking 8 more bolts. You can then get them out of the way.

I think you'll create a stinky mess separating the case, dousing yourself in that wonderful smelling gear oil.

Chuck
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

If you seriously want to switch back and forth between ratios, I'd seriously consider a quick change rear. Unless you just have a lot of free time and like taking the rear suspension and drivetrain apart
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,464 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

[QUOTE=mikey;1583968741]If you seriously want to switch back and forth between ratios, I'd seriously consider a quick change rear.
I can't comprehend that someone would have this thought...unreal! Dennis
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=Bluestripe67;1583968931]
Originally Posted by mikey
If you seriously want to switch back and forth between ratios, I'd seriously consider a quick change rear.
I can't comprehend that someone would have this thought...unreal! Dennis
I think John spelled it out pretty clear in the other thread, but perhaps not.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 pumpkin change out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 pumpkin change out