C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electrical problem? Clock and Courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Electrical problem? Clock and Courtesy lights

I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.... The car powers up OK and everything works except the clock and the courtesy lights. I know that this circuit is a powered circuit and should be live if grounded. If I put a meter across the clock plug it is shows no current. The orange wire to the glove box light shows no current. The fuse shows 12V. Bad Ground? Where might that be?

I'm not sure because I don't have the rear harness or parking lights connected to the lamps and wonder if this could be a factor.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Do you show 12V on both sides of the bottom fuse? When you measure VOLTAGE (not current) on the orange wire to the glove box light, do you have 12v with the meter negative connected to a good chassis ground? That glove box light wire goes to the fuse and the ground is the mount where the button is.
The courtesy lights are grounded by either rotating the headlamp switch fully counterclockwise or opening a door to close the switch at the door jamb which grounds them. Different ground from the clock which is grounded at the instrument cluster (same ground wire as the radio).
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Ahhh- The fuse was blown, but did not appear so. When I replaced it, the courtesy lights went on, but remained on even with the doors closed and the headlight switch NOT in the full CCW position. The orange GB wire is powered, The dome light leads are powered, the clock still does NOT work. (I just received the clock back from a fresh rebuild where it was tested.) The second fuse also failed after a few minutes, but it did not blow in the conventional sense, it became detached at the end inside the cap. I replaced the second 15A fuse with a 10A and it did not blow. The radio does power and light up.
Whatever is causing this has been present since I installed all the new LL harnesses and powered up for the first time.

Last edited by IGO200; 05-14-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

What confuses me the most is why the clock plug would be dead.
What about the headlight switch.....?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The clock voltage comes directly from the orange source coming off the bottom fuse. The two black wires in the radio connector go to ground. The third wire (gray, maybe) in the clock plug is for the radio lights and will only have power when the dash lamps are on. Measure to a known chassis ground for power to the radio. Maybe the ground is off the black wires. All you have in the circuit is 12v and ground, you just have to measure to find which is missing.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Do you have the two black wires grounded by each of the courtesy lights?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

SUCCESS! Mostly.
There were three separate problems here that confused troubleshooting process.

I think I may have had a bad fuse to start with.

The courtesy light problem was human caused. I did not realize that I needed to adjust the door jam switches. They were too far into the jam and were not breaking the circuit when the doors closed. I may have to put a small "shim" on the front of the door to get better engagement, I don't like how far I need to unscrew the switches to get them to work.
They all work normally now.

The clock is just not working. It is getting 12V at the plug and no tick tock, which is disappointing since I just paid Corvette Instrument Service to rebuild the clock for the second time since he did it 5 years ago. It has been sitting in the shelf since and Roger said that when not used they sometimes freeze up so I sent it to him 49 dollars ago. I'll let you know how that comes out.

I did check the grounds at the door pillars and the radio ground at the Z bar above the radio. Radio works - clock no work.

Your input really helped me get focused on this. Thanks!!

Last edited by IGO200; 05-15-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

If you've still got the clock in the car, try pulling out the set **** and releasing it quickly so that it snaps back into place with a click. Do that several times, sometimes that will free up the mechanism enough to get it to the spot for the relay to rewind the clock for the next cycle.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

How about using a wire from ground and touching the clock case while there is power to the clock. If you painted the clock mount bracket it may not be getting a good ground.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:47 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The clock ground goes to the black wire on the radio connector plug instead of to the mount and then goes to panel ground. There will be two black wires in that connector, one to the clock ground connector and one to the dash ground.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Door Switches

Originally Posted by IGO200
They were too far into the jam and were not breaking the circuit when the doors closed. I may have to put a small "shim" on the front of the door to get better engagement, I don't like how far I need to unscrew the switches to get them to work.
They all work normally now.
You don't have to unscrew the switches. Just pull on the sleeve and it will come outward. Then close the door gently and it will set the proper depth.

RON
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Okay, stupid question - yes it sounds as if you paid to have the clock restored. If so then go back to them, unless what others have said fixes the problem. But, if you stop and think about it, the clock is correct twice a day. And if you are driving the car for pleasure, does it really matter what time it is?
The following users liked this post:
1960 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

I checked the clock with a battery and it is not working, it will go back to Corvette Instruments (Roger said that they always test them and it was working when it left FL ...)
Thanks again for all the hints.

Grease Monkey-
The car isn't finished unless everything works... At least for a little while!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Mrbill_3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do install the bezel to the clock, i do not see any connectors or slots for the bezel to connect to the clcok face?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mrbill_3
how do install the bezel to the clock, i do not see any connectors or slots for the bezel to connect to the clcok face?
This problem has been resolved. Yours is a different problem, click on "new thread" at the top and you'll have a better shot at getting the answers to your question.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical problem? Clock and Courtesy lights

Quick Reply: Electrical problem? Clock and Courtesy lights